I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TikiSoo

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by TikiSoo »

All the talk around here about 70's car chase movies made me realize I had seen none of them so I borrowed Smokey & The Bandit
'77, Grand Theft Auto '77 and Eat My Dust '76.

Knowing the other two are Roger Corman produced/Ron Howard's first directorial attempts figured Smokey & The Bandit with it's big name stars & budget would be the best to start with. Um no.

I found Burt Reynolds completely uncharismatic and that's a problem when there's a weak story and unfunny dialogue. It's as if we are supposed to find him so incredibly charming because of his smoldering handsome looks. He gives nothing.

All the more contrast in Sally Fields' top notch pro performance. I find her captivating and she actually acts, says her lines with emotion so we can get a sense of her charactor. She uses her face, body & voice to reach us and help tell this simple story.

The real star here is the stunt driving which is fun but you've seen one 360 skid turn, you've seen them both. All I could think of was my insurance. I do know this kind of action movie has it's fans but it's like skiing, I'd rather be doing it than watching others.

I was excited to see Jackie Gleason as a vindictive good ole boy Sheriff whose quest was to capture the "Bandit" but he was as offensive as Archie Bunker. Really, when people complain about how racist/sexist our society is, they have no idea - be thankful this sort aren't around any more. (or maybe it's just more hidden?)

About halfway through I just took out the DVD. Nothing's worse than just not caring what happens.

I put in Grand Theft Auto and in the first 15 minutes LIKED the charactors. Seems like the same kind of car stunt driving movie... grateful those guys had a chance to shine & show their talents. I'm more hopeful for these movies & will post about them later.

Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

THE BLACK MARBLE (1980)

HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: January 19th, 2024, 3:37 pm More Knots Landing hairdon'ts.....

Michele Lee...
Didn't Joan Van Ark have a similar hairstyle in at least one episode like the one Michele Lee has here?

I seem to be remember an episode in one of the early seasons (maybe the first) where the women were exercising and Valene had ponytails.
Maybe it is was actually Karen (Michele Lee) who had that hairstyle in that episode.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 20th, 2024, 3:40 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: January 19th, 2024, 3:37 pm More Knots Landing hairdon'ts.....

Michele Lee...
Didn't Joan Van Ark have a similar hairstyle in at least one episode like the one Michele Lee has here?

I seem to be remember an episode in one of the early seasons (maybe the first) where the women were exercising and Valene had ponytails.
Maybe it is was actually Karen (Michele Lee) who had that hairstyle in that episode.
Ponytails are practical for exercising or riding a bike. Being practical is a 180 from being fashionable.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 20th, 2024, 3:40 pm

Michele Lee...

Yes,but Joan kept it only for exercise. Michele had it throughout an entire episode....
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: January 9th, 2024, 1:21 am Swithin, I have fond memories of Paula Laurence playing a small role on Dark Shadows as a medium who is killed by the evil Quentin (I think). In collected theater reviews I've read praise of her work as Virgilia in CORIOLANUS (a small voice of reason in a play that needs it), and then her work is musicals is also praised. Would love to hear more about her.
kingrat,

I met Paula in the 1990s. We were friends until her passing in 2005. She was a great artist and a wonderful, generous friend. She knew everyone! In addition to her own career, her husband, Charles Bowden (whom I never knew) had been a major theatrical producer, producing such plays as the original Broadway production of The Night of the Iguana. He also was Production Supervisor on Lily Tomlin's one-person show. In fact, he and Paula became close friends with Lily Tomlin. Every year, Paula would take a table at the benefit lunch of the New Dramatists, and she often invited me to join her table. Lily Tomlin was a fellow table mate one year, as was Jim Dale and many other artists. I remember the writer Dominick Dunne came over to our table to say hello to Paula, and she introduced me to him.

I was invited to her birthday party one year, which was thrown by friends of hers who lived in a town house in the East 50s. A woman came over to me and said, "Hello, I'm Lesley Gore."

Paula had an incredible career in theater, appearing in musicals such as One Touch of Venus and classic plays such as Ivanov, Cyrano, and Volpone. She worked with John Gielgud, Noel Coward, Uta Hagen, Lillian Gish, and many other leading figures in the theater, and they all loved her, as I did.

She lived for many years in an apartment building on West End Avenue at 72nd Street. I pass the building often, and think of her.

Here's Paula singing one of the songs she introduced in the Kurt Weill/Ogden Nash musical One Touch of Venus:

Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Swithin wrote: January 20th, 2024, 8:32 pm
I was invited to her birthday party one year, which was thrown by friends of hers who lived in a town house in the East 50s. A woman came over to me and said, "Hello, I'm Lesley Gore."
Did she cry?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Fedya wrote: January 20th, 2024, 9:39 pm
Swithin wrote: January 20th, 2024, 8:32 pm
Did she cry?
LOL

In this case, I wouldn't think the occasion would have called for it.

(...I mean, it wasn't as if she caught Swithin here cheatin' on her with Judy, right?!) ;)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

"Abbie!!!! We're hurting people!!!! We're ruining liiiiiives!!!!!!"

What's the KNOTS LANDING episode where a drunken Gary screams the above?
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

Right now, WILLIAM CAMPBELL :

Later, MICHAEL RENNIE :

TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Allhallowsday wrote: January 20th, 2024, 2:08 pm THE BLACK MARBLE (1980)

You know I borrowed that from the library but returned it without watching. Was it good? Worth watching? Please comment.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: January 21st, 2024, 8:15 am
Allhallowsday wrote: January 20th, 2024, 2:08 pm THE BLACK MARBLE (1980) ...
You know I borrowed that from the library but returned it without watching. Was it good? Worth watching? Please comment.

I like it, don't love it. ROBERT FOXWORTH does a worthy job with what might be his best role. PAULA PRENTISS is as expected, fine. HARRY DEAN STANTON perhaps does best, but I don't really like the story. I had seen the film and read the novel decades ago.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

TikiSoo wrote: January 21st, 2024, 8:15 am ,,,You know I borrowed that from the library but returned it without watching. Was it good? Worth watching? Please comment.
THE BLACK MARBLE (1980) Talking about this film, it occurred to me that it DOES have one of the few convincing love scenes in any movie!
CinemaInternational

HoldenIsHere wrote: January 20th, 2024, 10:38 pm "Abbie!!!! We're hurting people!!!! We're ruining liiiiiives!!!!!!"

What's the KNOTS LANDING episode where a drunken Gary screams the above?
I'd have to remember the exact episode name, but it would have to be in season 4, because he didn't have the affair with Abby until late season 3, and he stopped drinking entirely by the start of season five.
CinemaInternational

TikiSoo wrote: January 21st, 2024, 8:15 am
Allhallowsday wrote: January 20th, 2024, 2:08 pm THE BLACK MARBLE (1980)

I saw it this past week. It didn't leave the biggest impression outside of Paula Prentiss.