I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

ElCid wrote: January 27th, 2024, 1:57 pm

We have the DVD set of the Hildegarde Withers movies. Oliver definitely better than the ones who followed. Actually, Murder on A Honeymoon is a favorite of ours - watch it often. Withers was on vacation and decided to go to Catalina Island is the premise for her being there. We like the exterior shots and the interiors blend into the story quite well, no matter where filmed.

I remember; it's still odd to me since THE PENGUIN POOL MURDERS and MURDER ON THE BLACKBOARD made their NYC/BROOKLYN locations a focus, one wonders why MISS WITHERS went CROSS COUNTRY to CALIFORNIA to vacay (a real trek in 1935) when they could have set the film at NIAGARA FALLS or THE ADIRONDACKS, which are also big HONEYMOON LOCATIONS and not had GLEASON'S CHARACTER cross the country in a suspciously short time to help her solve the murder.

they could also have written something in about MISS WITHERS taking a honeymoon trip for herself since things presumably didn't work out for her and the LIEUTENANT, but the series writers/producers seemed DEAD SET on omitting the romance that they established in the earlier film. (no matter how weird it was.)

still, a fun movie.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Lorna wrote: January 27th, 2024, 2:25 pm
ElCid wrote: January 27th, 2024, 1:57 pm

We have the DVD set of the Hildegarde Withers movies. Oliver definitely better than the ones who followed. Actually, Murder on A Honeymoon is a favorite of ours - watch it often. Withers was on vacation and decided to go to Catalina Island is the premise for her being there. We like the exterior shots and the interiors blend into the story quite well, no matter where filmed.

I remember; it's still odd to me since THE PENGUIN POOL MURDERS and MURDER ON THE BLACKBOARD made their NYC/BROOKLYN locations a focus, one wonders why MISS WITHERS went CROSS COUNTRY to CALIFORNIA to vacay (a real trek in 1935) when they could have set the film at NIAGARA FALLS or THE ADIRONDACKS, which are also big HONEYMOON LOCATIONS and not had GLEASON'S CHARACTER cross the country in a suspciously short time to help her solve the murder.

they could also have written something in about MISS WITHERS taking a honeymoon trip for herself since things presumably didn't work out for her and the LIEUTENANT, but the series writers/producers seemed DEAD SET on omitting the romance that they established in the earlier film. (no matter how weird it was.)

still, a fun movie.

Because it was much cheaper for the studios to produce the movie "locally." Some of my favorite Falcon movies are the ones on the road so to speak. But they cut back because of the cost of production outside the studio/Hollywood area.
I think the romance was eliminated because it would have totally changed the direction of the movies and they wanted to film more of them. Also would have to explain what happened to husband if Gleason left the series. Ironically, he stayed with it till the end.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 9:33 am Image

The Elevator (1974) Youtube- 6/10

A claustrophobic thief (James Farentino) gets stuck in a high rise elevator with a briefcase full of stolen money.

Disaster movies were all the rage in 1970s cinema, so this is a TV movie version of a disaster flick. A bunch of other passengers are also stuck with the thief, there is some suspense as the elevator is damaged and in danger of plummeting. The real fun is in the cast. Myrna Loy and Teresa Wright are reunited here from The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946). Roddy McDowall and Carol Lynley are in this, they had appeared in the greatest disaster film of all The Poseidon Adventure (1972). Some TV stars from cancelled TV shows also appear here- Craig Stevens Peter Gunn, Arlene Golonka Mayberry RFD and Barry Livingston My Three Sons. Don Stroud played many nasty thugs during this time and he plays another one here, as Farentino's murderous partner in crime.
The telefilm dominated my family's viewing in the 1970s, but I don't remember THE ELEVATOR, Detective Jim McLeod, so thanks for posting this foreshock of all the disasters which followed that year...

A cyclone in September:
A midair collision in October:
A seismic cataclysm in November:
A high-rise conflagration in December:
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

NoShear wrote: January 28th, 2024, 11:53 am

A claustrophobic thief (James Farentino) gets stuck in a high rise elevator with a briefcase full of stolen money.

Disaster movies were all the rage in 1970s cinema, so this is a TV movie version of a disaster flick. A bunch of other passengers are also stuck with the thief, there is some suspense as the elevator is damaged and in danger of plummeting. The real fun is in the cast. Myrna Loy and Teresa Wright are reunited here from The Best Years Of Our Lives (1946). Roddy McDowall and Carol Lynley are in this, they had appeared in the greatest disaster film of all The Poseidon Adventure (1972). Some TV stars from cancelled TV shows also appear here- Craig Stevens Peter Gunn, Arlene Golonka Mayberry RFD and Barry Livingston My Three Sons. Don Stroud played many nasty thugs during this time and he plays another one here, as Farentino's murderous partner in crime.
The telefilm dominated my family's viewing in the 1970s, but I don't remember THE ELEVATOR, Detective Jim McLeod, so thanks for posting this foreshock of all the disasters which followed that year...

A cyclone in September:
All of these disaster flicks, coupled with non-stop coverage of war, inflation, shortages (oil, gas, meat), and not to mention Watergate, left the 10 year old me with a rather dismal view of the world for quite a while. I know people (perhaps those a bit older than me) look back fondly to the 70s, but they were bleak to me. Plus I had to wear Brady Bunch pants to school. Why people thought plaid pants were a good look is beyond me... Talk about disasters!
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

txfilmfan wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:15 pm

A cyclone in September:
All of these disaster flicks, coupled with non-stop coverage of war, inflation, shortages (oil, gas, meat), and not to mention Watergate, left the 10 year old me with a rather dismal view of the world for quite a while. I know people (perhaps those a bit older than me) look back fondly to the 70s, but they were bleak to me. Plus I had to wear Brady Bunch pants to school. Why people thought plaid pants were a good look is beyond me... Talk about disasters!
If I correctly recall, txfilmfan, you once posted - on the old TCM boards - that the Bicentennial was the only year you really enjoyed during the 1970s which seemed curious as I'm only about a year older than you and sorely miss the decade, so your post here gives some insight into your '70s viewpoint.

Hey, speaking of disaster films and you, it was about this time fifty-five years ago I was taking a virtual visit to your Houston area, txfilmfan:

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

NoShear wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:39 pm

A cyclone in September:
If I correctly recall, txfilmfan, you once posted - on the old TCM boards - that the Bicentennial was the only year you really enjoyed during the 1970s which seemed curious as I'm only about a year older than you and sorely miss the decade, so your post here gives some insight into your '70s viewpoint.

Hey, speaking of disaster films and you, it was about this time fifty-five years ago I was taking a virtual visit to your Houston area, txfilmfan:

I just turned 60 last month. That's true, about 1976. I'm sure part of it is that was the year my family took a 2 week road trip through the Southwest and out to southern California while the Montreal Olympics were going on. Apart from the ills of the world (which have and will always be with us), I just found the 70s to be tacky (though there are exceptions): clothes, home decor, cars, etc. I do have nostalgia for the much of the pop/rock music of the 70s, though, so there is that!
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Ah yes, the 70's. 1970 ended with me in Vietnam and then returning in 1971 to America to teaching in a last gasp of segregation high school. Then there was Watergate, Nixon resignation, Ford failing to gain support and Jimmy Carter-a good man who was not ready for American style of government- Arab Oil Embargo, Iran hostages.
Last edited by ElCid on January 28th, 2024, 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

txfilmfan wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:57 pm
NoShear wrote: January 28th, 2024, 12:39 pm

I just turned 60 last month. That's true, about 1976. I'm sure part of it is that was the year my family took a 2 week road trip through the Southwest and out to southern California while the Montreal Olympics were going on. Apart from the ills of the world (which have and will always be with us), I just found the 70s to be tacky (though there are exceptions): clothes, home decor, cars, etc. I do have nostalgia for the much of the pop/rock music of the 70s, though, so there is that!
Yes, the low points of the 1970s notwithstanding, the decade's pop/rock ended up offering some nice nostalgia.
Last edited by NoShear on April 5th, 2024, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

The Penguin Pool Murder (1932) - YouTube

w/ Edna May Oliver, Robert Armstrong, James Gleason, Mae Clarke, Donald Cook, Edgar Kennedy and Clarence Wilson. Plus Rochelle Hudson.

After Lorna's delightful (as usual) postings yesterday regarding Murder on a Honeymoon (1935). Coupled with my weakness for 1930s/1940s detective series in general. Plus having time to kill before today's pair of NFL championship games. I decided it was the ideal moment to catch the first in this series of Hildegarde Withers movies.

And enjoyed it.

Now, there was no real surprise regarding the mystery itself expect for the denouncement (Didn't they have laws regarding discovery back in the 1930s?). But that is probably a sign that I've watched too many detective movies from those decades.

What made it enjoyable was the interplay between the characters. Even though Edna May Oliver was playing Edna May Oliver and James Gleason was playing James Gleason and Robert Armstrong was playing Robert Armstrong as we have seen from their roles in other movies, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. And they played well together. And with nice bits of dialogue. Pre-code. Gotta love it.

Heck, even Mae Clarke was playing Mae Clarke here. Which, in her case, means she gets slapped. Twice. But at least it looks like her character could take a hit much better than the estranged husband character. Considering how weak Donald Cook's shot looked, that character had to have the glassiest jaw of all time.

So the real surprise here is the fact that the professional detective is not the usual dolt and/or comic relief that we usually get. And, more importantly, that we can be presented with a budding romance between two middle-aged people based upon respect. Kinda bummed knowing that that latter aspect is going to be ignored in the sequels. But I still plan on catching them when time allows.

P.S. Thanks, Lorna!
Masha

Post by Masha »

For What It's Worth (2016)

This is an interesting little game show for when you are tired of: Antiques Roadshow's slow pacing and intense focus on high-value items.

Three pairs of contestants compete to select the most valuable items out of a field of sixteen antiques. The values range from less than ten Pounds up to twenty-five-hundred Pounds. The contestant pair is a picker and a quizzer. The quizzer answering a general trivia question correctly allows the picker to chose one antique to add to their collection. The pair which ends with the highest value collection is the winner. They then chose one item in their collection and are awarded the value of it in: 'cold hard cash'.

It is not as fast-paced as an American game show and the host has as much personality as an anemone but the constant switching between general knowledge and tidbits about the antiques keeps it interesting. It is of interest also that there must be a balance in ability within each pair. A quizzer who answers every question correctly will lose if their picker selects crap. The best picker in the world would lose if their quizzer never provides an opportunity for them to make a selection.

6.8/11

Two seasons of this series can be viewed for free with commercials on: TubiTV.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

LiamCasey wrote: January 28th, 2024, 3:54 pm The Penguin Pool Murder (1932) - YouTube

w/ Edna May Oliver, Robert Armstrong, James Gleason, Mae Clarke, Donald Cook, Edgar Kennedy and Clarence Wilson. Plus Rochelle Hudson.

After Lorna's delightful (as usual) postings yesterday regarding Murder on a Honeymoon (1935). Coupled with my weakness for 1930s/1940s detective series in general. Plus having time to kill before today's pair of NFL championship games. I decided it was the ideal moment to catch the first in this series of Hildegarde Withers movies.

DAW, THANKS!

THE PENGUIN POOL MURDER is the best of the series (and has some REALLY GREAT LIGHTING, love all the black and white reflections of the water in the aquarium set), but MURDER ON A HONEYMOON has the most surprising twists.

and again, although THE DETECTIVE proposes to MISS WITHERS (and she consents!) at the end of PENGUIN POOL, THERE IS NO MENTION OF THIS in ANY of the MISS WITHERS MOVIES that came after, which- I think- led to something of a missed opportunity in MURDER ON A HONEYMOON because they absolutely could have addressed this and had MISS WITHERS going on on a honeymoon by herself after being jilted by THE DETECTIVE.

although...

it really is SO OUT OF NOWHERE when JAMES GLEASON proposes to EDNA MAE OLIVER at the end of PENGUIN POOL and even moreso when she consents

Frankly, it's a mindf*** on a par with BUD ABBOTT professing his UNDYING LOVE to LOU COSTELLO at the end of one of their pictures and the next thing you know, they're in a passionate embrace while TCHAIKOVSKY'S ROMEO AND JULIET plays on the soundtrack.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

also, THIS IS SOME GREAT POSTER ART:

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

ALSO ALSO

Is it just me on a cold January morning, or does anyone else find it funny to ponder

what if...

BACK IN 1932, there was a MASSIVE SCREW-UP in the ART and MEDIA and PUBLICITY DEPTS over at RKO and all of the print ads and lobby cards and posters and promotional materials and press books for the film had the title as:

THE PENGUIN POO MURDER
...as the result of a typo.

and it was too late to fix it and they didn't have the money...so they just went with it.

BUT THEN

a nation weary from THE DEPRESSION became captivated as they all stopped to collectively ask: "you're gonna kill someone using what now?" and in doing so, forgot their troubles- not just for that moment- but throughout the day as they ask themselves and their neighbors just what the Hell that is all about and did they read that right or not.

and then, next thing you know: there are lines around the block.

like, it's the first BLOCKBUSTER, before GWTW and BEN HUR and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

it's MAMMOTH.

It makes $2.5 million, which back then was 1.6 billion, and RKO became a MEDIA POWERHOUSE THAT DOMINATED THE LANDSCAPE TO THIS DAY.

THE ARC OF HISTORY ALTERED FOREVER BECAUSE SOMEONE FORGOT TO PUT THE "L" AT THE END.

or is it Just me?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: January 29th, 2024, 9:33 am ALSO ALSO

Is it just me on a cold January morning, or does anyone else find it funny to ponder

what if...

BACK IN 1932, there was a MASSIVE SCREW-UP in the ART and MEDIA and PUBLICITY DEPTS over at RKO and all of the print ads and lobby cards and posters and promotional materials and press books for the film had the title as:

THE PENGUIN POO MURDER
...as the result of a typo.

and it was too late to fix it and they didn't have the money...so they just went with it.

BUT THEN

a nation weary from THE DEPRESSION became captivated as they all stopped to collectively ask: "you're gonna kill someone using what now?" and in doing so, forgot their troubles- not just for that moment- but throughout the day as they ask themselves and their neighbors just what the Hell that is all about and did they read that right or not.

and then, next thing you know: there are lines around the block.

like, it's the first BLOCKBUSTER, before GWTW and BEN HUR and THE SOUND OF MUSIC.

it's MAMMOTH.

It makes $2.5 million, which back then was 1.6 billion, and RKO became a MEDIA POWERHOUSE THAT DOMINATED THE LANDSCAPE TO THIS DAY.

THE ARC OF HISTORY ALTERED FOREVER BECAUSE SOMEONE FORGOT TO PUT THE "L" AT THE END.

or is it Just me?

LMREO!!!!!!!!!! Who wouldn't kill over Penguin Poo????
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: January 29th, 2024, 1:22 pm
LMREO!!!!!!!!!! Who wouldn't kill over Penguin Poo????
oh!

It didn't occur to me that it could be a murder MOTIVATED by penguin poo. like "my neighbor's GD penguins keep pooing on my lawn, I am SO going to MURDER HIM in RETALIATION!!!!"

I was thinking of PENGUIN POO as being the instrument of death.

LIKE, burying someone you ESPECIALLY DISLIKE under many tons of it.

OR MAYBE SMEARING some on the TOP STEP and hoping they slip.