New Sports Bundle from ESPN/Fox/WB-Discovery

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
txfilmfan

New Sports Bundle from ESPN/Fox/WB-Discovery

Post by txfilmfan »

Well, here's a deal that may hasten the decline of broadcast and cable TV. For the past decade or so, the only thing the various networks, whether traditional over-the-air or cable/satellite networks, could rely on to fetch decent ratings has been live sports. Sports via streaming is still somewhat in its infancy. It seems that this is about to change.

The AP is reporting today that ESPN, WB/Discovery and Fox are teaming to offer a combined standalone streaming service that will have offerings from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, WNBA, NASCAR, NCAA sports, golf, tennis and FIFA. Each company will own 1/3 of the venture.

The service will include programming from 15 different networks: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network, ACC Network, Big Ten Network, ESPNews, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, TNT, TBS, truTV and ESPN+

The only thing left in the sports TV world in the US would be whatever NBC and CBS have rights to and the various regional sports networks, but the largest of those (Bally's) is trying to reorganize (they are working out a deal with Amazon at the moment) and many local teams are trying to wean themselves away from Bally's, due to their instability and difficulty in paying their rights fees. NBC and CBS probably will feel some pressure to follow suit, if this is successful. After all, it's just another source of income (to charge subscribers directly rather than distribute programming over the air for free)

I would imagine that bundling all of these network into one package will be fairly attractive to the average sports fan, depending on the price point, and, if their offerings match what's currently available over the air and on the cable networks (a big unknown at this point), cable TV will suffer greatly. I would think the OTA network (ABC & FOX) affiliates will not be too pleased either, as this could siphon away even more viewers from local stations.

This new venture is supposed to be ready to go this fall. They plan to offer bundles with their existing streaming platforms (Disney+, Hulu, and Max)

https://apnews.com/article/espn-fox-tnt ... bcbba37341
jimimac71

Re: New Sports Bundle from ESPN/Fox/WB-Discovery

Post by jimimac71 »

I am not a sports fan. I can sorta stomach SF Giants baseball.
Like the Warriors, A's, Sharks, Xfinity has 2 channels dedicated to those teams. Last year, there were no Giants games on broadcast TV. Some on ESPN and Apple TV+.
I do not favor sports on broadcast TV when it overrides newscasts.
I can enjoy a Giants day game as I don't stay awake long enough for a night game to end.
I'm still a cable guy as streaming wouldn't really save money.
I couldn't watch local baseball games live on MLB TV.
Then there's our TCM. Two things that require a big TV package.
Like big TV packages, will sports fans want to pay for access to sports they don't want? Gotta wonder how much this will cost?