I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:29 pm
Hibi wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:29 am
Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:38 am YOU KNOW, Since no one asked and I was looking to be controversial:

Am I the only one who reads AMOS TUPPER as being GAY?
LOL. Well he never married. Neither did the mayor. Unsure about Doc.Hazlett
Mayor Sam booth was asexual- Jessica has a line pretty much confirming this in the episode. “town father.”

Doc Hazlet most definitely had a wife. Her name is referenced in a few different episodes, but I can’t remember what it is, (Ruth?) he and his brother had a falling out because they were both in love with her I think.
I wasn't sure If Seth had a wife who died or not. It wasn't something that was talked about (Was probably mentioned once or twice early on and dropped). Yeah, Town Father had a lot of jibes about the mayor from Loretta's "gang". Funny episode.

An odd coinky dink: Hallmark ran Stage Struck over the wknd and I watched it. That outfit was more hideous than I remembered!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 12:33 pm the season five finale “mirror mirror, part two” pretty much leaves it open to interpretation – but I’ve always read it as “Seth and Jessica are definitely ****ing, they’re just keeping it on the down low.”
LMREO!!! They'd have to. If Loretta's gals ever got wind of it...........
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: February 12th, 2024, 11:08 am Lorna, thank you for posting the screenshot from Cane River. That lush scenery was one of the reasons I wanted to keep watching. If you're watching in small bunches, you might want to fast forward through the scene near the end where Maria is arguing with her mother. It's hilarious, though, that the brother is sitting on the couch pretending that the women's argument is somewhere on another planet.
you wanna hear something wild? I actually LIKED that scene a lot- for various reasons

1. THE BRICKWORK on THAT FIREPLACE they were fighting in front of was really unique
and
2. THE DAUGHTER yelling at her Mother "I AM NOTHING LIKE YOU, MAMA"- meanwhile they are BOTH dressed HEAD TO TOE in TANG-COLORED ORANGE.
Masha

Post by Masha »

kingrat wrote: February 12th, 2024, 6:57 pm Hey, Lorna, maybe you could start a "Cane River" line of designs featuring "Verdant Louisiana Green" and "Tang-Colored Orange"!

I believe your idea is late. It has been done.

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: February 12th, 2024, 10:45 pm
kingrat wrote: February 12th, 2024, 6:57 pm Hey, Lorna, maybe you could start a "Cane River" line of designs featuring "Verdant Louisiana Green" and "Tang-Colored Orange"!

Those should come with a warning label: Buy only if 6 ft or taller...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

1. I'm not gonna lie, the one on the left is ****ing CUTE. And I'm not ENTIRELY mad at the green (i don't get the looong drawstring)- although it does look like something SHELLEY DUVALL would wear to the premiere of an ALTMAN FILM, ca. 1977.

2. I should have noted this back in the post, but DARK SKINNED PEOPLE look AMAZING in colors that would make the rest of us look like FRESHMEN ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLOWN COLLEGE. CANDY PINK, ROAD CONE ORANGE, CHARTREUSE- these colors are off-limits to your average non-melanated person, but on the actresses in the film, they looked AMAZING, and it was a genuinely effective artistic choice to have them both wearing the same BOLD color in the scene where they fight about how "different" they are.
Last edited by Lorna on February 13th, 2024, 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

(for those who can't make it out, the word is "CHARTREUSE.")
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

you guys i'm sorry. i was gonna try laying off the MURDER, SHE REVIEWS but then- starting last night and finishing this morning- I watched the SEASON THREE episode CROSSED UP- aka "the one where Jessica overhears the murder plot on the phone during a hurricane."

I tell you what, this is one tidy little 40-something minutes of television- one of the sharpest and best-written episodes of the series- with the sole problematic element being, HOLY S**** AMOS TUPPER IS ESPECIALLY STUPID on numerous occasions in the episode, he ends up endangering JESSICA to a HEAD-SCRATCHING DEGREE more than once, but in an especially galling instance towards the end...

nonetheless, it's a really strong episode, and was interestingly enough directed by DAVID HEMMINGS who had guested on the previous episode THE CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS: he has a REAL KNACK for DRAMA and VISUALS**, as well as comic timing- there is a lot more ELABORATE CAMERA MOVEMENT and SET-UPS than in any other episode of MsW (I almost wonder if this caused any problems taking time and money to set up, hence he wasn't tasked with more directing assignments)

**there is a terrific shot during the climax where we see THE KILLER eerily reflected in a fish-eye mirror while going upstairs to get JESSICA

I know I go on quite a bit about the sillier aspects of MsW, but honestly, this is one solid episode of TV- I am very surprised it's not in the IMDB TOP TEN EPISODES of the show.

A BONUS FOR CLUE FANS: COLLEEN CAMP has a fun role and THE EXTERIOR ENTRY TERRACE OF THE MANSION is the same one used in the film (and the same one that stood in for STATELY WAYNE MANOR)- you get a rare chance to check out the interior of the home which has since been destroyed.
Masha

Post by Masha »

Lorna wrote: February 13th, 2024, 10:25 am
1. I'm not gonna lie, the one on the left is ****ing CUTE.
One advantage to that outfit is that you can be some person's melon-colour baby ...
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

txfilmfan wrote: February 13th, 2024, 10:11 am

Those should come with a warning label: Buy only if 6 ft or taller...
Yeah, you have to have Cyd Charisse legs to carry off that second one.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 13th, 2024, 4:29 pm you guys i'm sorry. i was gonna try laying off the MURDER, SHE REVIEWS but then- starting last night and finishing this morning- I watched the SEASON THREE episode CROSSED UP- aka "the one where Jessica overhears the murder plot on the phone during a hurricane."

I tell you what, this is one tidy little 40-something minutes of television- one of the sharpest and best-written episodes of the series- with the sole problematic element being, HOLY S**** AMOS TUPPER IS ESPECIALLY STUPID on numerous occasions in the episode, he ends up endangering JESSICA to a HEAD-SCRATCHING DEGREE more than once, but in an especially galling instance towards the end...

nonetheless, it's a really strong episode, and was interestingly enough directed by DAVID HEMMINGS who had guested on the previous episode THE CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS: he has a REAL KNACK for DRAMA and VISUALS**, as well as comic timing- there is a lot more ELABORATE CAMERA MOVEMENT and SET-UPS than in any other episode of MsW (I almost wonder if this caused any problems taking time and money to set up, hence he wasn't tasked with more directing assignments)

**there is a terrific shot during the climax where we see THE KILLER eerily reflected in a fish-eye mirror while going upstairs to get JESSICA

I know I go on quite a bit about the sillier aspects of MsW, but honestly, this is one solid episode of TV- I am very surprised it's not in the IMDB TOP TEN EPISODES of the show.

A BONUS FOR CLUE FANS: COLLEEN CAMP has a fun role and THE EXTERIOR ENTRY TERRACE OF THE MANSION is the same one used in the film (and the same one that stood in for STATELY WAYNE MANOR)- you get a rare chance to check out the interior of the home which has since been destroyed.

I never knew David Hemmings ever directed a MSW episode. I remember that one having a very suspenseful ending. Is that one where Jessica is laid up sick? I get some of the episodes mixed up. Was Jessica's house on the Universal lot? I would've loved to have lived in it! So homey.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:23 am

I never knew David Hemmings ever directed a MSW episode. I remember that one having a very suspenseful ending. Is that one where Jessica is laid up sick? I get some of the episodes mixed up. Was Jessica's house on the Universal lot? I would've loved to have lived in it! So homey.
CROSSED UP aired right after THE CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS, so it's two really strong eps back to back. insofar as I recall, they were the only time HEMMINGS worked on MsW.

yes, Jess "threw her back out"- which was a recurring bit on MsW.

No, the MURDER, SHE HOUSE is in MENDOCINO and it is still standing and is now a B&B and it looks GREAT.

https://www.blairhouse.com/
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:31 am
Hibi wrote: February 14th, 2024, 10:23 am

CROSSED UP aired right after THE CORPSE FLEW FIRST CLASS, so it's two really strong eps back to back. insofar as I recall, they were the only time HEMMINGS worked on MsW.

yes, Jess "threw her back out"- which was a recurring bit on MsW.

No, the MURDER, SHE HOUSE is in MENDOCINO and it is still standing and is now a B&B and it looks GREAT.

https://www.blairhouse.com/
Oh, wow. didn't realize that about the house! (am assuming the inside was a studio set?) Yeah, Jessica was always having back problems. LOL. That episode borrowed heavily from Sorry, Wrong Number.

It was given whenever Kate Mulgrew was in an episode she wound up being the killer, but I remember one where she wasn't, though she always played unpleasant characters...