I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Detective Jim McLeod

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Ryan's Daughter (1970) TCM On Demand-5/10

In 1916 Ireland, a married woman (Sarah Miles) has an affair with a British soldier (Christopher Jones) and endures the wrath of the people in her village.

A first time viewing for me, I found it a bit disappointing. Robert Mitchum plays Miles' husband, an OK performance, he tries his best with the Irish accent. Jones is another American actor miscast here, as a British officer, he was best known for youth exploitation films like Three In The Attic
and Wild In The Streets both from 1968. His voice is dubbed in this. John Mills finally won an Oscar for this, playing the mute village idiot, I don't think it was worthy of the award. It was also way too long at 3 plus hours.
On the plus side, Miles gives an excellent performance, possibly the best of her career, the cinematography was stunning.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

OMG, has my 22 year long VENDETTA against EW been misplaced?
Have I been BETRAYED by my FEEBLE MIND?
Didn't PREMIERE go under a long time ago?

Thank you all for helping to unlock the mystery.

ps- that snippet is IDIOTIC as both JACOBI and most especially BATES have BIG SCENES- JACOBI going all to pieces over the death of "His Man" SIR WILLIAM and BATES gets a VERY BIG scene all alone in front of a mirror at the end of the film. In fact, ALAN BATES maybe has the strongest male role besides MICHAEL GAMBON.
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Lorna wrote: February 26th, 2024, 3:02 pm Maybe his idea of good coffee was WATERY DECAF?
Yes, that French Roast brew must have been too strong for him.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 27th, 2024, 10:36 am Image

In 1916 Ireland, a married woman (Sarah Miles) has an affair with a British soldier (Christopher Jones) and endures the wrath of the people in her village.

A first time viewing for me, I found it a bit disappointing. Robert Mitchum plays Miles' husband, an OK performance, he tries his best with the Irish accent. Jones is another American actor miscast here, as a British officer, he was best known for youth exploitation films like Three In The Attic
and Wild In The Streets both from 1968. His voice is dubbed in this. John Mills finally won an Oscar for this, playing the mute village idiot, I don't think it was worthy of the award. It was also way too long at 3 plus hours.
On the plus side, Miles gives an excellent performance, possibly the best of her career, the cinematography was stunning.
I view Ryan's Daughter in a very similar light. Mitchum is miscast but does an adequate job. John Miles is fine as the mute village idiot and these type of odd-character roles do get a lot of Oscar love (often more than they deserve IMO).

Sarah Miles shines and is the primary reason I'll re-watch certain scenes from this too-long film.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I recorded it. I had it on my old dvr, but I've changed cable companies since then.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: February 27th, 2024, 9:47 am 1. IT IS MY DEEPEST, DARKEST FEAR THAT SOME DAY I WILL BE ASKED TO GIVE TESTIMONY BASED ON MY RECOLLECTION OF AN EVENT AND THAT SOMEONE'S LIFE WILL HINGE ON IT. My mind is A VERITABLE RASHOMAN in that I am always elaborating EDITING improving and recasting my memories. I AM THE FIRST TO ADMIT THAT I AM IN NO WAY WHATSOEVER A RELIABLE WITNESS.

The reminds me of the part in 12 ANGRY MEN when the unreliability of the witness who said she saw the murder through apartment window while an el train was passing is uncovered.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: February 27th, 2024, 11:14 am OMG, has my 22 year long VENDETTA against EW been misplaced?
Have I been BETRAYED by my FEEBLE MIND?
Didn't PREMIERE go under a long time ago?

Thank you all for helping to unlock the mystery.

ps- that snippet is IDIOTIC as both JACOBI and most especially BATES have BIG SCENES- JACOBI going all to pieces over the death of "His Man" SIR WILLIAM and BATES gets a VERY BIG scene all alone in front of a mirror at the end of the film. In fact, ALAN BATES maybe has the strongest male role besides MICHAEL GAMBON.
Premiere went under years ago, probably around the time of the Wall Street meltdown. Entertainment Weekly is now online only, but to their credit, they don't charge for looking up articles, and they still have all of their 90s stuff (the good stuff) archived.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Yes, the film is overly long for such a simple story, but at the same time, it is so beautifully made that it didn't deserve the drubbing it received at the time from many reviewers. It is definitely one of the best photographed movies of all-time, that is for sure, so I am glad it won that cinematography Oscar.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

and Wild In The Streets both from 1968.
Not The Looking Glass War (at least, for people who like John Le Carre movies)?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I liked RYAN'S DAUGHTER a lot (more than I expected to, given it's unfair reputation) but I can also understand why it's not for everyone.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

maybe i can summon the MIA KINGRAT with a special MURDER SHE REVIEW.

I was not planning on reviewing this episode, it's not one I often watch, but it came up on autoplaY and it dawned on me,

this episode is PEAK MURDER, SHE HAIR.

BAD HAIR IS EVEN A KEY PLOT POINT.

MURDER IN THE ELECTRIC CATHEDRAL, a season 3 (I think?) episode about a TELEVANGELIST played really, really well by STEVE FORREST who gets involved in the death of a wealthy OKLAHOMA OIL WIDOW played by MILDRED NATWICK- who seems to be depending on LANSBURY for some of her cues (I can't think of why else JESSICA tugs her ear every time she finishes speaking to her)

it also features DICK VAN PATTEN- who is very funny and who I wish appeared in more MSW episodes- and JUDY "KILL, KILL, DIE! DIE! DIE!" GEESON of BERSERK!

It also features some of the most DARKSIDED WIGGETRY EVER FEATURED IN ANY MURDER, SHE EPISODE.

like, I dunno if the SAN FERNANDO VALLEY BRANCH OF BARGAIN CLOWN had a fire sale or what. BUT THERE IS A DEEPER STORY HERE.

EXHIBIT A:

(not pictured, but worth mentioning)
THE MAID who appears in the scene with NATWICK AND LANSBURY in the first 10 minutes is wearing a wig that must be seen to be not believed. it is the least convincing wig i have ever seen. HELEN KELLER could clock this wig- and I'm factoring the fact that she is dead into that.

EXHIBIT B: NURSE NAN

I want you to look me right in the eye and tell me that- on that day in 1987- there wasn't A DAZED RONALD MCDONALD somewhere in the side of VENTURA BLVD, SNATCHED BALD and wondering what in the Fresh HELL just happened to them.
The most ludicrous thing about this WIG is that IT IS PART OF THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION TO THE MYSTERY AND ACCORDING TO JESSICA, THIS IS THIS WOMAN'S ACTUAL G**D*** HAIR!!!!!! like, GURL, NO. UH UH. NO. NO. JUST NO. I AM CAPABLE OF SUSPENDING MY DISBELIEF FOR A LOT THINGS REGARDING THIS SHOW AND ITS ENTIRE PREMISE, BUT IS THIS A STEP TOO FAR AND I REFUSE.

EXHIBIT C: LINDA RICHMOND of COFFEE TALK
This might actually be her real hair, but I'm going to be nice and call "WIG."

EXHIBIT D: THE HAIRDRESSER LASHING OUT AT HUMAN HAIR ON A BIT PLAYER, I THINK THERE IS SOME KIND OF BEHIND-THE-SCENES STORY OF TRAUMA BEHIND THIS EPISODE.

WHAT DID THIS POOR GIRL EVER DO TO YOU, YOU SADISTIC B****?

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Lorna wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:08 am
One of Barbi Benton's last acting roles. She retired from the business shortly after this episode.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: February 27th, 2024, 4:31 pm

Yes, the film is overly long for such a simple story, but at the same time, it is so beautifully made that it didn't deserve the drubbing it received at the time from many reviewers. It is definitely one of the best photographed movies of all-time, that is for sure, so I am glad it won that cinematography Oscar.
And despite its length, I never get bored watching it. But it's one of those movies that really needs to be seen on the big screen for the full effect.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lorna wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:08 am maybe i can summon the MIA KINGRAT with a special MURDER SHE REVIEW.

I was not planning on reviewing this episode, it's not one I often watch, but it came up on autoplaY and it dawned on me,

MURDER IN THE ELECTRIC CATHEDRAL, a season 3 (I think?) episode about a TELEVANGELIST played really, really well by STEVE FORREST who gets involved in the death of a wealthy OKLAHOMA OIL WIDOW played by MILDRED NATWICK- who seems to be depending on LANSBURY for some of her cues (I can't think of why else JESSICA tugs her ear every time she finishes speaking to her)

it also features DICK VAN PATTEN- who is very funny and who I wish appeared in more MSW episodes- and JUDY "KILL, KILL, DIE! DIE! DIE!" GEESON of BERSERK!

It also features some of the most DARKSIDED WIGGETRY EVER FEATURED IN ANY MURDER, SHE EPISODE.

like, I dunno if the SAN FERNANDO VALLEY BRANCH OF BARGAIN CLOWN had a fire sale or what. BUT THERE IS A DEEPER STORY HERE.

EXHIBIT A:

THE MAID who appears in the scene with NATWICK AND LANSBURY in the first 10 minutes is wearing a wig that must be seen to be not believed. it is the least convincing wig i have ever seen. HELEN KELLER could clock this wig- and I'm factoring the fact that she is dead into that.

I want you to look me right in the eye and tell me that- on that day in 1987- there wasn't A DAZED RONALD MCDONALD somewhere in the side of VENTURA BLVD, SNATCHED BALD and wondering what in the Fresh HELL just happened to them.
The most ludicrous thing about this WIG is that IT IS PART OF THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION TO THE MYSTERY AND ACCORDING TO JESSICA, THIS IS THIS WOMAN'S ACTUAL G**D*** HAIR!!!!!! like, GURL, NO. UH UH. NO. NO. JUST NO. I AM CAPABLE OF SUSPENDING MY DISBELIEF FOR A LOT THINGS REGARDING THIS SHOW AND ITS ENTIRE PREMISE, BUT IS THIS A STEP TOO FAR AND I REFUSE.

EXHIBIT D: THE HAIRDRESSER LASHING OUT AT HUMAN HAIR ON A BIT PLAYER, I THINK THERE IS SOME KIND OF BEHIND-THE-SCENES STORY OF TRAUMA BEHIND THIS EPISODE.

I have a hilarious story to tell about Barbi Benton, which I will do later on.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:08 am maybe i can summon the MIA KINGRAT with a special MURDER SHE REVIEW.

EXHIBIT A:

LMREO!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED! He's back! :D And Barbie Benton to boot! I don't really care for a lot of the early episodes. I prefer the later ones where Angela is trimmed down and more youthful looking (and the character less provincial) That was odd casting of Judy Geeson in that.