Wicked (movie version)

TikiSoo

Re: Wicked (movie version)

Post by TikiSoo »

Thanks guys- I've requested the book from my library.
I'm generally not a fan of fiction either but it's only 409 pages long.
If it doesn't capture my interest, I'll know not to bother seeing the show.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: February 20th, 2024, 5:44 am Thanks guys- I've requested the book from my library.
I'm generally not a fan of fiction either but it's only 409 pages long.
If it doesn't capture my interest, I'll know not to bother seeing the show.
TikiSoo, I have decided re-read WICKED: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST.
I usually don't re-read entire books, but I am curious to see if I still feel as strongly about it as did when I read it many years ago.
It was published in 1995, but I read Maguire's novel in 2001, before it was adapted into the musical by Winnie Holzman and Stephen Schwartz.

Maybe we can have book club here at the SSO like we did with THAT GIRL AND PHIL at the old TCM message boards.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 21st, 2024, 3:29 pm Maybe we can have book club here at the SSO like we did with THAT GIRL AND PHIL at the old TCM message boards.
Omigod! That sounds like another book to read!! (Soon logs onto li-berry...)
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

TikiSoo wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 10:08 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: February 21st, 2024, 3:29 pm Maybe we can have book club here at the SSO like we did with THAT GIRL AND PHIL at the old TCM message boards.
Omigod! That sounds like another book to read!! (Soon logs onto li-berry...)
THAT GIRL AND PHIL is a fun read.
The subtitle of the book is " An Insider Tells What Life Is Really Like in the Marlo Thomas-Phil Donahue Household."
It's written by Desmond Atholl, a former major-domo for Thomas and Donahue.
The story about how Marlo sent a Thanksgiving turkey "into orbit" is a highlight.
No one ever sued Desmond Atholl for libel so . . .

The cover of the book cracks me up.

BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 11th, 2024, 6:50 pm OK, I've seen what I believe to be the first official trailer for the movie adaptation of the Broadway musical, and I am cautiously optimistic that this might be a fun movie.

Heck, it has to be better than Wonka. ;)
I actually liked Wonka . . .

But, yeah, I will be seeing the Wicked movie and I am also optimistic by what I see in the teaser trailer.

I'm sure Jonathan Bailey will make a good Fiyero, but I would have liked to have seen Aaron Tveit in the role.
He's played Fiyero on Broadway and is only 5 years older than Jonathan Bailey.
Aaron Tveit recently replaced Josh Groban in the revival of Sweeney Todd currently running on Broadway.

Aaron Tveit as Sweeney Tood:

Aaron Tveit as Fiyero:
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

txfilmfan wrote: February 13th, 2024, 10:47 pm
From what I've seen in the trailer, they've included elements from the original Baum books that aren't in the play. For example, there's a quick shot of Dorothy (without ruby slippers, as that's MGM's invention and IP) and friends visiting Oz. The stage play is really about the backstory of the two Oz witches from the book/MGM movie, so the introduction of elements that would take place later in the timeline is puzzling, to me anyway. Seems they had to lift more material from the Baum universe to pad the story to get 2 full films out of it.

Not to divulge too many spoilers to anyone who hasn't seen the stage play Wicked and doesn't want the story spoiled, but Dorothy's three friends who go with her to see the Wizard do appear in the play.
Dorothy is not mentioned by name, but she is seen in the play as a shadow when she throws the water on the Witch of the West (Elphaba).

I suspect that the clip from the Wicked movie trailer showing Dorothy and friends meeting the Wizard is from the opening song "No One Mourns The Wicked" where the citizens of Oz are discussing and celebrating the death of the Witch before Glinda arrives and tells the backstory.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: February 24th, 2024, 3:55 pm
Nellie LaRoy wrote: February 11th, 2024, 6:50 pm OK, I've seen what I believe to be the first official trailer for the movie adaptation of the Broadway musical, and I am cautiously optimistic that this might be a fun movie.

But, yeah, I will be seeing the Wicked movie and I am also optimistic by what I see in the teaser trailer.

I'm sure Jonathan Bailey will make a good Fiyero, but I would have liked to have seen Aaron Tveit in the role.
Aaron Tveit recently replaced Josh Groban in the revival of Sweeney Todd currently running on Broadway.

Aaron Tveit as Fiyero:

My favorite version of "As Look As You're Mine" (which is my favorite song from WICKED) is the one by Aaron Tveit and Kerry Ellis.

I love the way he sings "diif-e-rent eyes" with three syllables in different.

BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: February 25th, 2024, 4:56 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: February 24th, 2024, 3:55 pm

Aaron Tveit as Fiyero:

My favorite version of "As Look As You're Mine" (which is my favorite song from WICKED) is the one by Aaron Tveit and Kerry Ellis.

I love the way he sings "diif-e-rent eyes" with three syllables in different.

The first Broadway show I saw was Wicked with Aaron Tveit and Kerry Ellis at the Gershwin Theatre.

At the risk of turning this into the Aaron Tveit Appreciation thread:

BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Cast photos from the upcoming Wicked movie that appeared in Vanity Fair were shown on Today: