MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
kingrat

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by kingrat »

Speaking of Freddie Mercury, as much as I admire the ambition of Bohemian Rhapsody, I do not like the song at all.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I still enjoy it, though parts of it are pretty over the top. Elton John and Axl Rose
duetted on the last section of the song. That was an interesting thing to see.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Andree wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:15 pm It's pledge week time in PBS land.
Uh oh.
That means at least one person from my past will email they saw me on TV and are amazed at how great I look!
They never think or realize the show was filmed 25 years ago!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:15 pm It's pledge week time in PBS land. I was watching parts of the Freddie Mercury Tribute
Concert. Toward the finale a woman came out. Hmmm. That looks a bit like Liza
Minelli. Hey, that is Liza Minelli. Then Liza launched into a high energy version of
We Are the Champions, joined by the other performers. Pretty good. Definitely a
pleasure cruise.
3 WEEKS OF IT! I never pledge. Half of what they show is reruns. I don't think they've shown a first run Mystery show in a decade now. Unlimited Poirot.....Wonder where the money goes?
Hibi

Re: AMUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 6:45 pm My Instacart shopping order recently included a jar of Ragu Super Chunky Mushroom pasta sauce.....I just hope it doesn't arrive with a frog.

Hibi, you aren't alone in not noticing Bing's shorter left arm -- I seem to be the only one who sees it, lol. As or Holden's character, we must not forget that Clifford Odets wrote the screenplay....(he was no champion of women -- cheated on wife Luise Rainer, exploited Frances Farmer, etc.)

Not to take away from Liza Minnelli's natural talent but I always wondered if the Academy awarded her the Best Actress Oscar for CABARET in compensation for not giving it to Mama in A STAR IS BORN. It's hard not to think of Judy while listening to "Maybe This Time".
Bronxie! Welcome back. Been wondering where you've been hanging out. Yeah, I know Odets wasn't exactly an equal rights supporter. His plays haven't aged well.

LOL over Maybe This Time! :D
Hibi

Re: AMUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: March 10th, 2024, 2:52 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 6:45 pm My Instacart shopping order recently included a jar of Ragu Super Chunky Mushroom pasta sauce.....I just hope it doesn't arrive with a frog.

Hibi, you aren't alone in not noticing Bing's shorter left arm -- I seem to be the only one who sees it, lol. As or Holden's character, we must not forget that Clifford Odets wrote the screenplay....(he was no champion of women -- cheated on wife Luise Rainer, exploited Frances Farmer, etc.)
I worked with a lovely actress named Bethel Leslie, who did quite a lot of television. She was a regular on The Richard Boone Show (not that western, but Boone's serious, dramatic show). Clifford Odets was a story supervisor and wrote a few of the scripts. Bethel told me that he tried to seduce her, took her for drinks, tried to ply her with gin, but she resisted.

Yuck! I remember Bethel Leslie from that show. In fact, that's where I first discovered her (though she appeared in other 60s shows and Broadway) I was taken by her unusual first name. It seemed like her names should've been reversed! Leslie Bethel!
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: March 11th, 2024, 12:03 pm
Andree wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:15 pm It's pledge week time in PBS land. I was watching parts of the Freddie Mercury Tribute
Minelli. Hey, that is Liza Minelli. Then Liza launched into a high energy version of
pleasure cruise.
3 WEEKS OF IT! I never pledge. Half of what they show is reruns. I don't think they've shown a first run Mystery show in a decade now. Unlimited Poirot.....Wonder where the money goes?
It's been going for a few weeks here. It's petering out. The schedule is somewhat back to normal, but the infomercials/quack medicine shows are back this coming weekend.

The local station here does this at least 4 times a year now, for 3 or 4 weeks at a time.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: March 10th, 2024, 3:33 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:12 pm I can't say exactly why, but I always look forward to the shot in MIDNIGHT COWBOY of the two women waiting for the bus in the foreground with the restaurant where Joe Buck works (and quits) in the background.
I especially look forward to the part where the woman in curlers takes a drink from her bottle of soda.

I wonder if Miller's Restaurant in Big Spring, Texas is still in business.
Apparently back in the day they served "Good Food" . . . or so their sign proclaimed.

It's long gone. Was at the corner of 3rd and Austin. It's a parking lot now.
Thanks so much for this information.

Do you know if the interior sequence -- where Joe Buck comes to collect his last paycheck and tells his co-worker that he's going to New York City-- was filmed at an actual restaurant in Big Spring, Texas?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:18 pm
pleasure cruise.
It's been going for a few weeks here. It's petering out. The schedule is somewhat back to normal, but the infomercials/quack medicine shows are back this coming weekend.

The local station here does this at least 4 times a year now, for 3 or 4 weeks at a time.
They usually do 2 weeks here, but this time went 3 weeks. Hope it's not a trend.....I think it's quarterly here too.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: March 11th, 2024, 2:08 pm
txfilmfan wrote: March 11th, 2024, 1:18 pm

They usually do 2 weeks here, but this time went 3 weeks. Hope it's not a trend.....I think it's quarterly here too.
I think its quarterly as well, but given jow annoying it is, and also how quickly time flies, it feels a lot more frequent than just four times a year.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

HoldenIsHere wrote: March 11th, 2024, 2:06 pm
txfilmfan wrote: March 10th, 2024, 3:33 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: March 9th, 2024, 2:12 pm I can't say exactly why, but I always look forward to the shot in MIDNIGHT COWBOY of the two women waiting for the bus in the foreground with the restaurant where Joe Buck works (and quits) in the background.
I especially look forward to the part where the woman in curlers takes a drink from her bottle of soda.

I wonder if Miller's Restaurant in Big Spring, Texas is still in business.
Apparently back in the day they served "Good Food" . . . or so their sign proclaimed.

It's long gone. Was at the corner of 3rd and Austin. It's a parking lot now.
Thanks so much for this information.

Do you know if the interior sequence -- where Joe Buck comes to collect his last paycheck and tells his co-worker that he's going to New York City-- was filmed at an actual restaurant in Big Spring, Texas?
I believe it was shot in that restaurant. The short scene when he enters definitely was, because you can see an old Pontiac dealership through the cafe's open door. The dealership building is still there, but it no longer used for selling cars.
Andree

Post by Andree »

TikiSoo wrote: March 11th, 2024, 6:32 am
Uh oh.
That means at least one person from my past will email they saw me on TV and are amazed at how great I look!
And some of the music shows were getting long in the tooth. No original member still alive.
It looks like they have repackaged some of the "oldies" shows with newer hosts and newer
members of the groups.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: March 10th, 2024, 9:15 pm It's pledge week time in PBS land.
Uh oh.
So Tiki, what did you appear in back then?
Andree

Post by Andree »

I think it was the second week here. It all starts to blend together after a while. I don't
watch PBS as much as I used to. I do like some of the music acts that are shown during
pledge weeks--Freddie Mercury Concert, Gregg Allman, Lynyrd Skynyrd. That's in between
the ten minute pledge breaks where they try to entice people with all sorts of "special"
DVDs and CDs. And then the vanilla hosts have to pretend they're the biggest Queen fans
in the world.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:38 pm
Uh oh.
And some of the music shows were getting long in the tooth. No original member still alive.
It looks like they have repackaged some of the "oldies" shows with newer hosts and newer
members of the groups.
LOL!!!!