MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Hibi

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Hibi »

BOOM! Is one of my favorite bad movies of all time and I wish TCM would schedule it. I haven't seen it in decades and another one with no dvd release. I think TCM did show it once or twice years ago.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

KayFrancis wrote: March 13th, 2024, 2:29 pmBesides The Best of Everything on TCM tonight, the rarely shown Lucy Gallant will be on TCM tonight at 12 am. Good cast, Jane Wyman, Charlton Heston, Claire Trevor, Thelma Ritter. Haven't seen this one in a very long time.
Dang, I had hvac guys here yesterday (and back right now) to replace a heat pump and only visited early yesterday morning. Would have liked to have caught Lucy Gallant (1955) because of Thelma Ritter; not sure I would have put TBoE on the DVR though 'cause I'm not much of a melodrama or Joan fan. Only films I can remember off hand liking her in was Grand Hotel (1932) and her cameo in It's a Great Feeling (1949). Just watched Boyd a couple of nights ago in The Fall of the Roman Empire (1964).

Think I've seen a half dozen of CI's bad list. Could be more, but not memorable one way or the other. Kind of remember Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous (2005) as decent but not at the same level as #1 one. Do remember liking Disclosure (1994), but that was because I was a fan of Michael Crichton as a novelist and was fascinated by his version of VR in the book. Got to remember it was published in 1994 and his vision and the movie's special effects reflect that. Can't remember if VR was even mentioned back when I was studying computer sci back in the late '60s. The flip gimmic of sexual harassment was just an ok secondary to me. 😄
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:40 pm Hey Hibi, you'll finally be able (if you can stay up late or record) to catch SUSAN SLEPT HERE since it's Debbie's month on TCM. Check their March schedule -- I think that movie airs on the 27th.
I did record it over the holidays, but I STILL haven't watched it yet! My DVR is almost full of stuff I never have time to watch! One of these days....
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

Well Diane, I was so looking forward to watching Lucy Gallant, it's been years since I watched the film. Unfortunately, I fell asleep . Wish TCM hadn't scheduled Desk Set , a film that is shown often in the 10pm slot and Lucy Gallant at 12 am, when Lucy is so rarely shown. Wish programmers would be more considerate!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think Desk Set should be put on hiatus for a decade. Seems like it's on monthly lately.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi, to quote Alan Young in THE TIME MACHINE (minus his "Scottish" accent, lol), you've got all the time in the world to watch.

Poor Martha Hyer in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING -- it seemed her (edited?) scenes consisted of awkwardly shooting nervous glances at the married would-be office paramour. (and fending off, along with every other woman, the disgusting advances of Mr. Shalimar)

I just read Stephen Boyd's Wiki page. Dolores Hart made romantic overtures to him which he resisted! Yet they remained loyal friends and he even visited her after she became a nun. Other fascinating Boyd facts there.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

KayFrancis, I as well was looking forward to LUCY GALLANT (which I had never seen) but like you also unfortunately fell asleep, just as it was getting underway. Pissed me off! Agree with you and Hibi re: DESK SET.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:16 am Hibi, to quote Alan Young in THE TIME MACHINE (minus his "Scottish" accent, lol), you've got all the time in the world to watch.

Poor Martha Hyer in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING -- it seemed her (edited?) scenes consisted of awkwardly shooting nervous glances at the married would-be office paramour. (and fending off, along with every other woman, the disgusting advances of Mr. Shalimar)

I just read Stephen Boyd's Wiki page. Dolores Hart made romantic overtures to him which he resisted! Yet they remained loyal friends and he even visited her after she became a nun. Other fascinating Boyd facts there.
I didn't know that! I remember her talking about working with him in her memoirs (Needed some editing. The parts of her nunnery life were a tough slog). I don't think she mentioned she came on to him though! LOL.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:31 am KayFrancis, I as well was looking forward to LUCY GALLANT (which I had never seen) but like you also unfortunately fell asleep, just as it was getting underway. Pissed me off! Agree with you and Hibi re: DESK SET.
DESK SET has become TCM's Dr. Zhivago of the 2020s! WHY????? And it's always in primetime too! ENOUGH ALREADY. I did record Lucy Gallant, so at least I have it for future viewing (who knows when!!!)
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

LOL, years ago on the TCM website, someone posted No,No,No,No More African Queen!! It worked, they stopped showing it every month! Yes, agreed, Give Desk Set and Dr. Zhivago a rest.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:41 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:31 am KayFrancis, I as well was looking forward to LUCY GALLANT (which I had never seen) but like you also unfortunately fell asleep, just as it was getting underway. Pissed me off! Agree with you and Hibi re: DESK SET.
DESK SET has become TCM's Dr. Zhivago of the 2020s! WHY????? And it's always in primetime too! ENOUGH ALREADY. I did record Lucy Gallant, so at least I have it for future viewing (who knows when!!!)

And the Andy Hardy series. They love The Mickster, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I'm in a kvetching mood, lol.

Enough of BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK and THE PHILADELPHIA STORY!
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I'm in a kvetching mood too, probably because of missing Lucy Gallant! lol.
Yes, yes Philadelphia Story needs to go back in the vault for awhile.
Watched the last episode of Truman vs. The Swans on demand this morning. Soooooo depressing. The acting, the clothes, the location shots in this series were wonderful, but really, he was so miserable and the series was a downer.
Watching Ruth Roman, Julie Adams, Kathryn Grayson and Gloria deHaven on Murder She Wrote, although have seen all the episodes a ton of times. Considering how much I pay for Spectrum, they could use a shake up on their channels and programming too.Same shows, over and over.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

KayFrancis wrote: March 14th, 2024, 11:52 am LOL, years ago on the TCM website, someone posted No,No,No,No More African Queen!! It worked, they stopped showing it every month! Yes, agreed, Give Desk Set and Dr. Zhivago a rest.
Too bad TCM can't view our displeasure here! :(
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

KayFrancis wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:14 pm I'm in a kvetching mood too, probably because of missing Lucy Gallant! lol.
Yes, yes Philadelphia Story needs to go back in the vault for awhile.
Watched the last episode of Truman vs. The Swans on demand this morning. Soooooo depressing. The acting, the clothes, the location shots in this series were wonderful, but really, he was so miserable and the series was a downer.
Watching Ruth Roman, Julie Adams, Kathryn Grayson and Gloria deHaven on Murder She Wrote, although have seen all the episodes a ton of times. Considering how much I pay for Spectrum, they could use a shake up on their channels and programming too.Same shows, over and over.
I started losing interest about mid way through The Swans. It would've made a good 2 part telefilm, but stretched out to 8 episodes was too much. I started recording it then FFing through much of the Truman parts. HE's exhausting. And hated the made up stuff and innaccuracies. It was well acted and produced. But too much of a bad thing. They made it out like it was a decades long drama. It wasn't. They dropped him and it was over. I didn't care for the gratuitous sex scenes either.

I never get tired of watching the Loretta episodes on MSW. I wish they'd done more of them.