Opera

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Opera

Post by laffite »

James McCracken, tenor, is best know for the role of Otello (Verdi). This is from the Met Centennial (1983), a magnificent display of world class singers and all in one place. Normally the singers are spread across the earth performing the great works in the best opera houses. The is from the Centennial (1983)

Otello is now fully certain that Desdemona has been unfaithful and loves him no more. Of course we know he has been duped into believing this. He was a military hero and highly honored. He says that if he were to be disgraced and lost his honor that he would bear it in the eyes of God. But the loss of Desdemona is just too much.

OTELLO
God! Thou couldst have rained upon my head
every affliction of poverty and shame,
made of my heroic battle-honours
a heap of ruination and a lie ...
and I should have borne the cruel cross
of torment and disgrace
with patience
and resigned me to the will of heaven.
But – oh tears, oh pain! –
to rob me of that vision
in which my soul was garnered joyfully!
That sun has been snuffed out,
that smile, that ray
which gives me life and happiness!
That sun has been snuffed out, etc.
Mercy, thou immortal
rose-lipped cherubin,
cover at the last thy holy face
with the horrid mask of hell!

Mona
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: October 26th, 2023, 4:38 pm
The first time I saw L'Italiana in Algeri was at the Met around 1985, which I think was the first time they presented the opera. Marilyn Horne sang the lead role. Great production. But my favorite Horne appearance was in the wonderful Barber of Seville with Horne, Di Giuseppe, Prey, Corena, and Siepi, in a sparkling Eugene Berman set. One of my favorite visits to the Met.

laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: October 28th, 2023, 10:09 pm
laffite wrote: October 26th, 2023, 4:38 pm
The first time I saw L'Italiana in Algeri was at the Met around 1985, which I think was the first time they presented the opera. Marilyn Horne sang the lead role. Great production. But my favorite Horne appearance was in the wonderful Barber of Seville with Horne, Di Giuseppe, Prey, Corena, and Siepi, in a sparkling Eugene Berman set. One of my favorite visits to the Met.

You may know this but the L'Italiana clip I posted was only the last part of that little chorus. there was about six minutes before that but I eschewed it because there is not enough attention span here to sit through the whole 10 minutes. And FYI, in case you don't remember, that clip was the end of the First Act, not the end of the opera. Just a tid bit.
Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Not to put anyone down regarding relative attention spans, it's the same with me. Led Zeppelin? A plane, right?

:smiley_snoopy: Oh, brother.
Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

End of a duet, great choreography, great singing [media][/
Mona
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

For St. Patrick's Day, two arias from Bohemian Girl, Balfe's lovely Irish opera.

laffite

Post by laffite »

delete by laffite
Mona