I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
HoldenIsHere

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 5th, 2024, 5:40 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:21 pm
Lorna wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:13 pm (It’s funny I was watching that episode too.)

Love how Adrienne Barbeau keeps improperly handling her pump shotgun throughout the ep though
Ah , Adrienne Barbeau!
Loved her as Catwoman in BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES.
She has a good part in The Fog, directed by her then-husband. It's a better than average horror film. And Janet Leigh is in it too....
I also like Adrienne Barbeau in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, another movie directed by John Carpenter.

As some posters here who also posted on the old TCM message boards may know, I hate the movie GREASE (I love GREASE 2 though), but I do like the Original Broadway Cast Album of GREASE and especially love "There Are Worse Things I Could Do," sung by Adrienne Barbeau (who played Betty Rizzo is the original Broadway production of the musical).

dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Had no idea that Adrienne played that part on Broadway. From the recording, I bet she was pretty good. Not particularly a fan of the movie, but I did like the Live! version that was on TV a few years ago - particularly the performance of this song.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Lorna wrote: April 1st, 2024, 7:41 am
Allhallowsday wrote: April 1st, 2024, 12:09 am THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965)
I missed my favorite part where SHELLEY WINTERS pops out of the crowd, bounces off Jesus and says: "I'm cured...? I'M CURED!!!" To which I always reply: "No you're not. You're still Shelley Winters."
Image (seriously, i read that at 5:00 am this morning and I am STILL laughing.)
Aww, guys. leave Shelley alone . . .
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

dianedebuda wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:03 pm Had no idea that Adrienne played that part on Broadway. From the recording, I bet she was pretty good. Not particularly a fan of the movie, but I did like the Live! version that was on TV a few years ago - particularly the performance of this song.
She was Tony nominated for Grease. I think she fell into the typecasting pitfall after she left Maude, where I think she was underutilized.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:36 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:21 pm

Ah , Adrienne Barbeau!
Loved her as Catwoman in BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES.
She has a good part in The Fog, directed by her then-husband. It's a better than average horror film. And Janet Leigh is in it too....
I also like Adrienne Barbeau in ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK, another movie directed by John Carpenter.

As some posters here who also posted on the old TCM message boards may know, I hate the movie GREASE (I love GREASE 2 though), but I do like the Original Broadway Cast Album of GREASE and especially love "There Are Worse Things I Could Do," sung by Adrienne Barbeau (who played Betty Rizzo is the original Broadway production of the musical).

I also like Adrienne Barbeau's recording of "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" on the Grease Original Broadway Cast Album better than the one from the movie.

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The only production of Grease that I've seen was a revival at the Dominion Theatre, London, early 1990s, starring Debbie Gibson, Craig McLachlan, Tamzin Outhwaite, and Sally Ann Triplett. The production was more successful than the original London production. The revival also included four songs written for the film.

Here are selections from that revival, presented at the 1993 Royal Variety Performance.

Lorna

Post by Lorna »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 6th, 2024, 6:57 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: April 1st, 2024, 12:09 am THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD (1965)
I missed my favorite part where SHELLEY WINTERS pops out of the crowd, bounces off Jesus and says: "I'm cured...? I'M CURED!!!" To which I always reply: "No you're not. You're still Shelley Winters."
I see you and I hear you.

Shelley Winters achieved a lot in her life, and throughout it she had to endure a lot of really tacky and obnoxious jokes about her appearance that were completely uncalled for. In fact, I’ll even say that when she first hit the scene in the late 40s and 50s, she was especially attractive and it was really nice to see a woman who wasn’t a size 4.

When I make fun of Shelley Winters it’s for her being a deranged egomaniac who considered herself quite a serious method actor in spite of the fact that she said “HELL YEAH” to pretty much everything that was offered to her, including an Italian killer octopus movie, a role as a lesbian pimp named “BIG MAMA” the same year that she was nominated for “the Poseidon adventure” and a film called “the visitor” that just has to be seem to be believed. Also, it’s worth it to read the accounts of Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds, who both had to work with her- (Harris actually had a particularly disturbing account in that he was a child when they work together on a movie, and she apparently went on a huge tirade and told him the film was going to flop and It was going to be entirely his fault.)

Edit- I like Shelley Winters a lot better than I like Rod Steiger, but they are cut from similar cloth as far as actors, whose performances have not always aged well, even though they were in their day considered to be the definition of “the CRAFT. “
Last edited by Lorna on April 7th, 2024, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lorna wrote: April 7th, 2024, 8:46 am

Shelley Winters achieved a lot in her life, and throughout it she had to endure a lot of really tacky and obnoxious jokes about her appearance that were completely uncalled for. In fact, I’ll even say that when she first hit the scene in the late 40s and 50s, she was especially attractive and it was really nice to see a woman who wasn’t a size 4.

When I make fun of Shelley Winters it’s for her being a deranged egomaniac who considered herself quite a serious method actor in spite of the fact that she said “HELL YEAH” to pretty much everything that was offered to her, including an Italian octopus movie, a role as a lesbian pimp named “BIG MAMA” the same year that she was nominated for “the Poseidon adventure” and a film called “the visitor” that just has to be seem to be believed. Also, it’s worth it to read the accounts of Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds, who both had to work with her- (Harris actually had a particularly disturbing account in that he was a child when they work together on a movie, and she apparently went on a huge tirade and told him the film was going to flop and It was going to be entirely his fault.)

Edit- I like Shelley Winters a lot better than I like Rod Steiger, but they are cut from similar cloth as far as actors, whose performances have not always aged well, even though they were in their day considered to be the definition of “the CRAFT. “
"There are no more islands, Maestro. I won't be singing where I'm going." -- Shelley Winters to Liberace in South Sea Sinner (1950)

A movie I long to see again is South Sea Sinner, an enjoyable Sadie Thompson-type story about a "bad girl" who sings in the islands. Shelley Winters plays the lead, with excellent support from Liberace, who plays her accompanist; Luther Adler, who plays the villain; and Macdonald Carey, who plays the romantic interest.

Last edited by Swithin on April 7th, 2024, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

at the risk of sounding kinda pretentious, I am at present hard at work writing and drawing A short-form ILLUSTRATED STORY and- as such- I've been watching animation.

and as such I rented SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959) on YOUTUBE- and watched and rewatched it- i've already seen it MANY times- wore the tape out one year when I was about 8 or so...and for a while, it was MY FAVORITE ANIMATED MOVIE...

All these years later, I have to amend that statement to: "it has my favorite LOOK of any animated movie-" and not only is it gorgeous, but the climax is marvelous, the use of TCHAIKOVSKY'S MUSIC PERFECTION (even timed to sound edits like the dragon snapping)- but at the heart of this version is a glaring fault that grows harder to ignore with time- THE TITLE CHARACTER IS BARELY A PRESENCE IN IT (someone did a breakdown on imdb and I don't recall it exactly, but she has something like 18 lines and doesn't appear until 30 minutes in and also has no dialogue and little presence in the last half as well.

also also, I could not help but notice how the animators used a few little work-saving "tricks" this time around- portions of this movie involve very little actual animated cels and instead have a camera move across a background...I guess it's a silly thing to complain about when HAND DRAWN ANIMATION is all but DEAD, but I still couldn't help but notice, and I'm not really complaining- GOD KNOWS it could not possibly by a LOVELIER MORE IDYLLIC FILM.

EDIT- Also also, the scene where the two kings argue over their children while the minstrel who looks like IGGY POP gets drunk behind their backs irritates me. it stops the film DEAD in its TRACKS.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: April 7th, 2024, 10:30 am
Lorna wrote: April 7th, 2024, 8:46 am

When I make fun of Shelley Winters it’s for her being a deranged egomaniac who considered herself quite a serious method actor in spite of the fact that she said “HELL YEAH” to pretty much everything that was offered to her, including an Italian octopus movie, a role as a lesbian pimp named “BIG MAMA” the same year that she was nominated for “the Poseidon adventure” and a film called “the visitor” that just has to be seem to be believed. Also, it’s worth it to read the accounts of Neil Patrick Harris and Debbie Reynolds, who both had to work with her- (Harris actually had a particularly disturbing account in that he was a child when they work together on a movie, and she apparently went on a huge tirade and told him the film was going to flop and It was going to be entirely his fault.)

"There are no more islands, Maestro. I won't be singing where I'm going." -- Shelley Winters to Liberace in South Sea Sinner (1950)

A movie I long to see again is South Sea Sinner, an enjoyable Sadie Thompson-type story about a "bad girl" who sings in the islands. Shelley Winters plays the lead, with excellent support from Liberace, who plays her accompanist; Luther Adler, who plays the villain; and Macdonald Carey, who plays the romantic interest.

New film to me. Was Shelley Winters dubbed in this film? I know she was on Broadway - she was the Ado Annie replacement in the original run of Oklahoma! - but Ado Annie is usually cast with an eye to the comedy rather than singing quality.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

BagelOnAPlate wrote: April 6th, 2024, 7:10 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:36 pm

I also like Adrienne Barbeau's recording of "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" on the Grease Original Broadway Cast Album better than the one from the movie.

I like the Broadway version of "Look At Me, I'm Sandra Dee" too.

It contains the original lyrics:
"No, no, no, Sal Mineo
I would never stoop so low."
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Hey, Holden, gotta love your new avatar.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Lorna wrote: April 7th, 2024, 10:48 am at the risk of sounding kinda pretentious, I am at present hard at work writing and drawing A short-form ILLUSTRATED STORY and- as such- I've been watching animation.

and as such I rented SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959) on YOUTUBE- and watched and rewatched it- i've already seen it MANY times- wore the tape out one year when I was about 8 or so...and for a while, it was MY FAVORITE ANIMATED MOVIE...

All these years later, I have to amend that statement to: "it has my favorite LOOK of any animated movie-" and not only is it gorgeous, but the climax is marvelous, the use of TCHAIKOVSKY'S MUSIC PERFECTION (even timed to sound edits like the dragon snapping)- but at the heart of this version is a glaring fault that grows harder to ignore with time- THE TITLE CHARACTER IS BARELY A PRESENCE IN IT (someone did a breakdown on imdb and I don't recall it exactly, but she has something like 18 lines and doesn't appear until 30 minutes in and also has no dialogue and little presence in the last half as well.

SLEEPING BEAUTY is a favorite of mine.
The death of Maleficent (in the form of a dragon) is INTENSE!

Briar Rose (the titular Sleeping Beauty) is asleep (literally) for a lot of the movie.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 7th, 2024, 2:34 pm
Lorna wrote: April 7th, 2024, 10:48 am at the risk of sounding kinda pretentious, I am at present hard at work writing and drawing A short-form ILLUSTRATED STORY and- as such- I've been watching animation.

SLEEPING BEAUTY is a favorite of mine.
The death of Maleficent (in the form of a dragon) is INTENSE!

Briar Rose (the titular Sleeping Beauty) is asleep (literally) for a lot of the movie.
Not only is she asleep for a good part of the movie, she’s also an infant for a fair part as well. I know it seems maybe sacrilegious to criticize a movie that is such a genuine work of art, but I wish maybe somehow they had cut that scene between the two feuding kings and dedicated that time to briar Rose and how she must feel about her life changing so drastically, I mean, she’s going to have to wear shoes now.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

also also, I could not help but notice how the animators used a few little work-saving "tricks" this time around- portions of this movie involve very little actual animated cels and instead have a camera move across a background...I guess it's a silly thing to complain about when HAND DRAWN ANIMATION is all but DEAD, but I still couldn't help but notice, and I'm not really complaining- GOD KNOWS it could not possibly by a LOVELIER MORE IDYLLIC FILM.

EDIT- Also also, the scene where the two kings argue over their children while the minstrel who looks like IGGY POP gets drunk behind their backs irritates me. it stops the film DEAD in its TRACKS.
Probably the issue of making the part of the Princess in Sleeping Beauty a mostly marginal one comes from the original fairy tale itself. The first part all happens when she is a baby, and then she's asleep for most of the rest of the tale. That in itself doesn't lead to much of a part. So, fortunately, for the movie they built up those three wonderful fairies, Flora, Fauna, and Meriweather, who do have plenty of personality and are absolutely charming to watch. And then you also have the alarming Maleficent, one of the Disney company's most alarming villainesses. That makes it into a pretty flavorful film, and my second favorite of all the Disney animated films (behind Beauty and the Beast), even though as you said, the scene with the kings and the tipsy servant is very sluggish.

I didn't notice the animated shortcuts in some scenes, but it has been a while since I saw it. I do think it looks beautiful as a film though, with the best-looking animation that the company ever did. But that quality came at a severe cost. Sleeping Beauty was animated for the 70 MM version of Technirama (a short-lived widescreen process from Technicolor) and it required that the animation frames be much larger than the Disney company was used to, which in turn drove up the budget. It cost around $6 million in 1959, very pricy for the time, and did not make back its investment on the first release. I also have the general feeling that they likely went overtime with animation as well, given that (just having got out the DVD copy), the film has a 1958 copyright, but didn't arrive until a month later in January 1959. Most likely, it was planned for a Christmas 1958 release, but couldn't make that date.

The result was that the Disney company cut back on new animated films, and the ones that were released were released with more basic animation styles filled with cost saving techniques (be it using the Xerox method that Walt himself disliked on 101 Dalmatians or the much later Oliver and Company, or by tracing new animation over old sketches from previous films, as in Robin Hood, which reused some underlying movements from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs). This period lasted until they unleashed a computer clean-up service for hand-drawn animation on 1990's The Rescuers Down Under. They did however break the bank for 1985's The Black Cauldron, which was meant to be the debutante coming-out ball for the new generation of animators, and like Sleeping Beauty, it was filmed in 70 MM Technirama. Cauldron cost $44 million in 1985, and it by far the most handsome and best looking animated film of that 30 year period, even though the film found few takers, then or now (Disney even neglected its very existence in a recap of its history that appeared on the Snow White DVD) and also suffered from some last -minute cuts to decrease the film's graphic qualities in certain scenes (you and I might be some of its biggest cheerleaders, although I did have to laugh on ye olde boards when you used some GIFs to explain the general mood of children and parents at a 1985 screening you attended).

By the way, if you are talking about the old IMDb boards, many of the ones for individual films have been archived at a website called filmboards. To get to a film's page, you have to type in the title to the search box and wait for the box of matching titles to descend, click from there, and then click the matching title again on the index that comes up. It's a bit cumbersome, but it is so nice to see the old posts again.

I finished timing the Sleeping Beauty DVD. The princess has more than 11 but less than 12 minutes screentime, and a large portion of that time, she isn't saying or singing a word. She does not appear until 18 minutes in and she's not even allowed to say a word after she wakes up. But then again, even the prince who battles Maleficent doesn't have much more to work with. Despite his heroics, he doesn't have a single line in the last 29 minutes of the film.