I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

Allhallowsday wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:57 pm THE GODFATHER (1972) Again. Are there cracks at the seams? I still love that kitty!
For anyone interested: THE GODFATHER seems to have gotten away from THE DARK CLUTCHES of AMC where it was desecrated to HELL every time they ran it: edited for content, truncated, and pumped full of ads to where one 3 hour film fills a six-hour slot.

AMC: HOW MOVIES SHOULD NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER BE SHOWN (TM)

it's recent airing has been on a CERTAIN CABLE NETWORK THAT SHOWS CLASSIC FILMS WITHOUT ADS (who knows for how long though)

** ALTHOUGH, YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO FAST FORWARD THROUGH 5 MINUTES AND TEN SECONDS OF INANE PRATTLING FROM A CERTAIN SOMEONE AT THE START OF THE SHOW.

btw- I don't really love THE GODFATHER all that much, but you know what? I like LUCCA BRAZZI. honestly, he's the only character I feel anything for.

The fishes should be lucky for his company.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

sorry about my advertising meltdown yesterday.

to try and chill out, I rented PINOCCHIO (1940) on youtbe (FYI- youtube rentals are either the same price as or less than they are on amazon AND you get to keep the video for THREE DAYS and not TWO)

this is the most beautiful animated (feature-length) movie that has ever been made and is a serious contender for the title of the most beautiful film EVER.

I'm not sure I had seen this film since its 1984 theatrical re-release, but it's one of those rare movies that are like a dream you had one time where for some reason- you remember the details clear as crystal- ALTHOUGH two things had escaped my memory:

1. THE COLOR BLUE is SO PROMINENT IN THIS MOVIE (in a lovely way)
and
2. The animators and Walt really, really succeeded in making PINOCCHIO a really, really likeable main character- in spite of MANY ODDs-

and that SECOND FEAT is a REAL TRIUMPH, because those of you who have read the collected COLLODI stories on which the film is based know that PINOCCHIO (in the book) is a rotten, sadistic little s*** who endures any number of graphic and disturbing punishments. also he KILLS his CRICKET COMPANION with A MALLET.

Ah, the Italians, they have such a zest for life...

Really though, more than many other DISNEY PROTAGONISTS of the golden era that come to mind- I think more work went into making PINOCCHIO (the character) something real and relatable and genuine with an actual personality (although CINDERELLA comes close) he's not really cruelly thoughtless, he really was just "born yesterday" and every time he gets in trouble again, I know I personally wasn't mad about it- and if anyone is going to get annoyed by a character in a film, it;s me.

Also i love how he just SNAPS INTO FULL JOHN MACLAINE.MAGUYVER MODE when he and GEPPETTO are trapped inside the WHALE.

PLEASE HELP ME, I HAVE HAD THE SONG "I GOT NO STRINGS" STUCK IN MY HEAD FOR 24 HOURS NOW,.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:07 pm
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As much as I loathe those commmercials, that's going to far. But maybe, possibly we can offer her a variation on 1993's Indecent Proposal: have some multi-billionaire offer her $100 million dollars to stop advertising on TV for good.
LOL. I've read so many bad reviews for the product online, I don't know how she can keep selling it. I imagine there are a lot of returns. I wouldn't buy it anyway just because of her nauseating commercials. The same with Liberty insurance. No way would I buy insurance from them. GAG.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:18 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:07 pm
Hibi wrote: April 11th, 2024, 3:02 pm KILL THE LUME LADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As much as I loathe those commmercials, that's going to far. But maybe, possibly we can offer her a variation on 1993's Indecent Proposal: have some multi-billionaire offer her $100 million dollars to stop advertising on TV for good.

NO NO
BLOODLUST IS THE ONLY ANSWER!!!!

(catches breath)
(counts to ten)
(calms down)

Okay, no, you're right.

I guess murder is a sin.

No cash offer though- just force her to live a life of UTTER ANONYMITY

God, look what modern ads have done to me!!!!!

I used to be much nicer.

Okay, that's a lie

LMREO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In a perfect world.........:D
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Masha wrote: April 12th, 2024, 1:09 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 11th, 2024, 7:19 pm
I'd never heard of Stopette until I started watching WML reruns on the Game Show Network years ago. They would show the entire original show with period commercials (and then add their own modern ones too), so a 30 minute episode ran 40 minutes.
It is currently shown on: Buzzr. It retains the original commercials and has flashscreen breaks and so fills forty minutes. It is at four-forty in the morning. That is a bad time for me because it is about when I go to bed. I do watch on occasion but it does screw up my next day. I have reason to believe that they are about to change their schedule again. I hope that it is on at a different time but I fear they will remove it because it is in a block of 1950s programmes and they do not present those regularly.
There's also a YouTube channel that has all of the available WML episodes from the CBS primetime era (to 1967).
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 10:26 am I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
I think we all have those moments, whether it's film, TV, music or art. Magnolia was that way for me at the theaters. Modern art is probably the biggest offender (is that the right word?) for me. I mean, when I look at Raushenberg's various shades of white paintings, I think, is that all there is? The wildest was an installation at Centre Pompidou in Paris. It was an empty plastic cutlery holder on a pedestal. That's all. According to the blurb next to it, it is meant as a commentary on modern life and how plastic it is. OK. Whatever. You turned a $5 kitchen item into a piece of art by adding nothing to it and literally putting it on a pedestal. And over here, I have some fancy new clothes for the Emperor...
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

txfilmfan wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:02 am
kingrat wrote: April 12th, 2024, 10:26 am I had the "Elaine at The English Patient" experience with Pirates of the Caribbean. People had low expectations of the film, based as it was on a Disney theme park ride, but because it was better than that, suddenly it became a phenomenon. When I saw it, I was expecting a really entertaining show, and found . . . what seemed like a long movie, with Orlando Bloom looking pretty, and Johnny Depp prancing around, and that was it?
I think we all have those moments, whether it's film, TV, music or art. Magnolia was that way for me at the theaters. Modern art is probably the biggest offender (is that the right word?) for me. I mean, when I look at Raushenberg's various shades of white paintings, I think, is that all there is? The wildest was an installation at Centre Pompidou in Paris. It was an empty plastic cutlery holder on a pedestal. That's all. According to the blurb next to it, it is meant as a commentary on modern life and how plastic it is. OK. Whatever. You turned a $5 kitchen item into a piece of art by adding nothing to it and literally putting it on a pedestal. And over here, I have some fancy new clothes for the Emperor...

I realize I might be getting us even further off-topic, but JUST YESTERDAY I was thinking of how- with a couple exceptions- FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT designed some truly uglyassed houses.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:33 am
txfilmfan wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:02 am

I realize I might be getting us even further off-topic, but JUST YESTERDAY I was thinking of how- with a couple exceptions- FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT designed some truly uglyassed houses.
"...uglyassed..."

This new word should be made a part of all the lexicons in the world of movie "critics."

Since we don't have an "autosenselessor" that's not a problem. Or do we have one? This word in quotes was coined by our fine friend but lamentably absent MissWonderly. ////
"Edith"
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

laffite wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:43 am
Since we don't have an "autosenselessor" that's not a problem. Or do we have one? This word in quotes was coined by our fine friend but lamentably absent MissWonderly. ////

we do have one, that's why I made it one word portmanteau style.

Man, I hope MISS WONDERLY is doin okay out there, wherever she is (I lament her absence as well).....

laffite

Post by laffite »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:48 am
laffite wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:43 am

we do have one, that's why I made it one word portmanteau style.

Man, I hope MISS WONDERLY is doin okay out there, wherever she is (I lament her absence as well).....

I love MissWonderly and Mary Astor! How's that for a doublecrush :smiley_shades: .
"Edith"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 12th, 2024, 11:35 am Image
It looks like a tomb! (Mausoleum to be more precise).

Miss Wonderly is busy with her life. She became disenchanted with the slow activity here.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:20 pm Miss Wonderly is busy with her life. She became disenchanted with the slow activity here.
Must not've been a MURDER SHE WROTE fan....
Last edited by Lorna on April 12th, 2024, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

laffite wrote: April 12th, 2024, 12:11 pm
I love MissWonderly and Mary Astor! How's that for a doublecrush :smiley_shades: .
[/quote]

sorry the pic is SO FRIGGIN HUGE, but it was a good one and I liked the gardenias.