I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Swithin

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:55 am Karen Black's moment in the sun was brief. FIVE EASY PIECES was a big hit, but when THE DAY OF THE LOCUST was a box office bomb, her career was done for.
Which is a shame, because The Day of the Locust is one of the best films about Hollywood, and Karen Black gave an excellent performance. Among many other virtues, the film is noteworthy for Donald Sutherland's best performance.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

kingrat wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:55 am Karen Black's moment in the sun was brief. FIVE EASY PIECES was a big hit, but when THE DAY OF THE LOCUST was a box office bomb, her career was done for.
Yes, her career went downhill after that film. Just about everyone connected to it went downhill.....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Swithin wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:14 am
Which is a shame, because The Day of the Locust is one of the best films about Hollywood, and Karen Black gave an excellent performance. Among many other virtues, the film is noteworthy for Donald Sutherland's best performance.
AGREE! And still no appearance on TCM!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:50 am
LOL! I don't remember that one at all. Must be one of the early ones that I skip if its airing.

After looking it up, I remember that one [ONE GOOD BID DESERVES A MURDER] now! KAREN BLACK was in it! (her career must've been in the doldrums by this point). Funny, I don't remember Tayback being in it. Not one of my fav. episodes........
It's not a good episode- at all- and while it has a lot that doesn't work, overall it's one I'd rate as A GOOD BAD EPISODE

In some ways, it's the closest MSW got to doing an episode that was akin to MOONLIGHTING.

(The dead STARLET ICON even seems to be a hybrid of ANGELYNE)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

AS HOMER SIMPSON, NO LESS!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:29 am
Hibi wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:50 am
LOL! I don't remember that one at all. Must be one of the early ones that I skip if its airing.

After looking it up, I remember that one [ONE GOOD BID DESERVES A MURDER] now! KAREN BLACK was in it! (her career must've been in the doldrums by this point). Funny, I don't remember Tayback being in it. Not one of my fav. episodes........
It's not a good episode- at all- and while it has a lot that doesn't work, overall it's one I'd rate as A GOOD BAD EPISODE

In some ways, it's the closest MSW got to doing an episode that was akin to MOONLIGHTING.

(The dead STARLET ICON even seems to be a hybrid of ANGELYNE)
Yeah, I tend not to watch the Harry MacGraw episodes. A little of him goes a long way. Dennis Stanton, enough said! Come to think of it I didn't care much for that other doofus either. (not the Irish guy, but the other one-the Mash actor) I preferred Jessica as a solo slueth!

Wayne Rogers
Last edited by Hibi on April 17th, 2024, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:32 am
AS HOMER SIMPSON, NO LESS!
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I enjoy the MSW episodes with Thomas Magnum.
There was just one 2-part episode, right?
I'll bet both Hibi and Lorna have not seen much of the old Matlock TV show.
I'm an expert having seen them all multiple times.
Matlock moved to Hallmark Mystery after the name change.
It was on the Drama channel, now Hallmark Family.
It continues on MeTV.
Way better if you ask me than Perry Mason.
"Everything looks worse in Black and White."
Gotta love the classic cars though.
Was Uncle Miltie ever on MSW? He was on Matlock.
Matlock has a channel on Pluto TV.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jimimac71 wrote: April 17th, 2024, 2:02 pm I enjoy the MSW episodes with Thomas Magnum.
There was just one 2-part episode, right?
I'll bet both Hibi and Lorna have not seen much of the old Matlock TV show.
I'm an expert having seen them all multiple times.
Matlock moved to Hallmark Mystery after the name change.
It was on the Drama channel, now Hallmark Family.
It continues on MeTV.
Way better if you ask me than Perry Mason.
"Everything looks worse in Black and White."
Gotta love the classic cars though.
Was Uncle Miltie ever on MSW? He was on Matlock.
Matlock has a channel on Pluto TV.
Yes! Uncle Miltie was in at least one MSW episode that I remember (early on).

The quality of Perry Mason varies from case to case. Some are good, some not so good. A lot of it is due to not explaining/showing enough in the pre-trial parts of the episode. then Perry pulls something out of nowhere in the court part. Then they try to explain it all at the end (sometimes not so well).
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I grew up loving PERRY MASON on THE SUPERSTATION (TBS) as well as THE NEW PERRY MASON MYSTERIES.

I still watch them on amazon/freevee, but the commercials IRK me.

As Hibi said, some episodes are very good, some are not- and some are CONFUSING AS ****- like seriously, ASTOUNDINGLY baroque plots for an hour long tv show.

but oftentimes I am surprised by THE KILLER, there was one recently where OUT OF NOWHERE it was THE SECURITY GUARD who totally seemed innocent.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

also there is SOME WILDLY UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR on the parts of PERRY and whoever THE DA is that week (depending on whether BILL TALLMAN was in jail or not, hee hee)- like NUMEROUS TIMES they ask questions of witnesses or say things in court in front of the jury that are SO OBJECTIONABLE (literally.)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I tried to watch freevee. The ads are miserable.
They have “A Fine Romance,” with Judi Dench.
How can a 30 minute show have that many commercial breaks?
Like so many fat cats, Amazon is greedy.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

I love THE DAY OF THE LOCUST.
I'm a big fan of John Schlesinger's movies, and this is one of his best.
I was eager to see this movie for a long time and I ended up purchasing a digital copy on Amazon.
I thought that Geraldine Page's role as as the radio evangelist would be bigger.

A few years after his performance as Adore in THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, Jackie Earle Haley would go on to play the bad-ass Bear in THE BAD NEWS BEARS (a very entertaining 1970s movie).

Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 3:40 pm I grew up loving PERRY MASON on THE SUPERSTATION (TBS) as well as THE NEW PERRY MASON MYSTERIES.

I still watch them on amazon/freevee, but the commercials IRK me.

As Hibi said, some episodes are very good, some are not- and some are CONFUSING AS ****- like seriously, ASTOUNDINGLY baroque plots for an hour long tv show.

but oftentimes I am surprised by THE KILLER, there was one recently where OUT OF NOWHERE it was THE SECURITY GUARD who totally seemed innocent.
I know. Some of the conclusions are in the WTF? category. And Perry's behavior and courtroom antics seem unethical at times. You know when someone is called to the stand at around the 50 min mark, they'll be the guilty one!

And why break down on the stand??? Just like in MSW, the killer is compelled for some unknown reason to confess!

I love how Perry seems to be Paul Drake's only client. He's on call 24/7! Also secretary Della Street, who goes above and beyond what a legal secretary would be up for. (Late night stake outs etc.) Even participating in Perry's games with the police (which I think a few times got her in trouble with the law).
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: April 17th, 2024, 3:41 pm also there is SOME WILDLY UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIOR on the parts of PERRY and whoever THE DA is that week (depending on whether BILL TALLMAN was in jail or not, hee hee)- like NUMEROUS TIMES they ask questions of witnesses or say things in court in front of the jury that are SO OBJECTIONABLE (literally.)
I know. I have to laugh sometimes at the goings on. I feel sorry for Burger. He never wins a case! (I think he did once but Perry got it overturned in the end) What season was he out due to jail time?