Noir Alley

Dargo

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Dargo »

Hibi wrote: May 6th, 2024, 8:47 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 5th, 2024, 8:43 pm The plastic surgery segment in DARK PASSAGE always creeps me out, including a scary looking Bogie with those bandages. It almost seems like a nod back from Warner's to their 1930's urban horror thrillers, DR. X, MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM and THE RETURN OF DR. X.
Yes! And what doctor is available for surgery at 3AM??? (Even one who lost his medical license!) And he recovers in ONE WEEK??? (back then it would've been even worse than now) Come on. I watched it, but I don't think I could again. The story is just so farfetched and unbelievable. Agnes and the location shooting helps some as does the gimmick of not seeing Bogie in the beginning, but repeated viewing just makes for a lot of eye rolling. Don't want to list all the plot holes/implausibilities or the post would go on forever...
Agree with everything you've said here, Hibi.

This was probably my fourth time ever of watching 'Dark Passage', and it does seem each time I've watched it, I come away noticing more and more of the illogical and farfetched plot devices in Delmer Daves' script.

(...and speaking of Daves' script, I think the dialogue in it is stilted and proasic as well)
Andree

Post by Andree »

I like Dark Passage even though there are some implausibilities in the movie. Nicely
done with a good cast of supporting actors--the cabby who doesn't know where to go for
a good time but does know where to go for quickie plastic surgery, the rundown doctor who
apparently knows his business. I would give him a demerit for smoking but back then some
doctors even advertised the benefits of coffin nails, the nosy cop who deserved a poke in
the kisser, and then there's the blackmailer who is following Bogie around. Glad he ended up
dead. And it's unusual for the supposed criminal to end up in such a sweet spot even if he is
innocent. IMHO I think Agnes fell to her death by accident. She didn't seem like the suicidal
type. And what a juicy role. I wouldn't want to rewatch it every year, but for every few
years it's good enough.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Another puzzler with DARK PASSAGE -- someone thinks "Linnell" is an odd last name.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:51 am Another puzzler with DARK PASSAGE -- someone thinks "Linnell" is an odd last name.
I wonder how Bacall came up with that one? And what a coinky dink that she happens to be friends with Agnes who figures in Bogie's murder case.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm I like Dark Passage even though there are some implausibilities in the movie. Nicely
done with a good cast of supporting actors--the cabby who doesn't know where to go for
a good time but does know where to go for quickie plastic surgery, the rundown doctor who
apparently knows his business. I would give him a demerit for smoking but back then some
doctors even advertised the benefits of coffin nails, the nosy cop who deserved a poke in
the kisser, and then there's the blackmailer who is following Bogie around. Glad he ended up
dead. And it's unusual for the supposed criminal to end up in such a sweet spot even if he is
innocent. IMHO I think Agnes fell to her death by accident. She didn't seem like the suicidal
type. And what a juicy role. I wouldn't want to rewatch it every year, but for every few
years it's good enough.
I, too, think it was an accident. She still had options left.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 8:41 am
She was just too full of herself to commit suicide in my opinion.

The only problem with the name Linnell is you've got to figure out
how many n's and l's are going to be in it and stick to that number.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 7th, 2024, 4:02 pm
Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 8:41 am
She was just too full of herself to commit suicide in my opinion.

The only problem with the name Linnell is you've got to figure out
how many n's and l's are going to be in it and stick to that number.
Too hard to spell. Should've stuck with Smith. Yeah, Agnes didn't exactly sound desperate.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

During Eddie's outro for Dark Passage, he said that in David Goodis novel , she does commit suicide however suicide was against the code then, so they had to have her death as an accident in the film. This has been an ongoing debate since our TCM site days, so glad Eddie made it clear that Agneses character's death was definitely filmed as an accident.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 4:26 pm
Too hard to spell. Should've stuck with Smith. Yeah, Agnes didn't exactly sound desperate.
Smith isn't bad unless some wise guy cop grows suspicious. Lee is nice and simple.

Yeah, she sounded the way she sounded throughout the movie--snippy and sarcastic.
Hoganman1

Post by Hoganman1 »

DARK PASSAGE is one of my favorites. Yes, it has many flaws and some illogical plot points but I still enjoy the performances. Granted, having Madge accidentally falling out of a window was a reach.
jamesjazzguitar

!

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: May 6th, 2024, 10:36 pm I like Dark Passage even though there are some implausibilities in the movie. Nicely
years it's good enough.
Yea, the supporting actors make the film. Note this was the best role for Clifton Young as the blackmailer. Warner signed him but he didn't get much work (he does have an uncredited role as a bum at the start of Treasures of the Sierra Madre). What a smarmy character!

Also note worried actor is the friend, actor Rory Mallinson. The film was also one of his major roles. I see him from time-to-time on TV westerns.

Both mostly uncredited actors that were well used by director Delmer Davies.

Actor Tom D'Andrea (cabbie), was a credited, under contract actor for WB, and was in a more films than those two. He was in some other noir films like Tension and Flaxy Martin.
Andree

Re: !

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 8th, 2024, 9:52 am
Yea, the supporting actors make the film. Note this was the best role for Clifton Young as the blackmailer. Warner signed him but he didn't get much work (he does have an uncredited role as a bum at the start of Treasures of the Sierra Madre). What a smarmy character!

Also note worried actor is the friend, actor Rory Mallinson. The film was also one of his major roles. I see him from time-to-time on TV westerns.

Actor Tom D'Andrea (cabbie), was a credited, under contract actor for WB, and was in a more films than those two. He was in some other noir films like Tension and Flaxy Martin.
Young was very sleazy right down to his crazy quilt seat covers. Hard not to enjoy
him getting his toward the end of the movie.

I forgot to mention Rory Mallinson. He had a relatively brief role as Bogie's sympathetic
friend. Maybe I missed the explanation if one was given, but one has to wonder how
Agnes was able to kill him. She had a lot of mean but she wasn't physically intimidating.

I already mentioned the shady doctor played by Houseley Stevenson. He certainly gave
off a rather creepy vibe, but he apparently knew what he was doing. Bogie's payment
of $200 would now be around $3,000, not bad for the service provided.
Hibi

Re: !

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 8th, 2024, 3:57 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 8th, 2024, 9:52 am

Young was very sleazy right down to his crazy quilt seat covers. Hard not to enjoy
him getting his toward the end of the movie.

I forgot to mention Rory Mallinson. He had a relatively brief role as Bogie's sympathetic
friend. Maybe I missed the explanation if one was given, but one has to wonder how
Agnes was able to kill him. She had a lot of mean but she wasn't physically intimidating.

I already mentioned the shady doctor played by Houseley Stevenson. He certainly gave
off a rather creepy vibe, but he apparently knew what he was doing. Bogie's payment
of $200 would now be around $3,000, not bad for the service provided.
Yeah, a plastic surgery bargain. Even factoring in inflation! Aggie probably waited till he turned around and bopped him on the head with his trumpet (or whatever it was) to stun him then shot him when he was down. Sounds like her style.

No, no explanation was given how Agnes accomplished that.
nakanosunplaza

Post by nakanosunplaza »

She jumped to her death to frame Bogart one last time,she tells him that,I think the hole for the broken glass in the door was not big enough and she just had to open the door and jump,the broken glass does not make sense in a way. The ending had to be covered it was a suicide with a bad intention towards Bogart.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: May 7th, 2024, 8:40 am
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 7th, 2024, 12:51 am Another puzzler with DARK PASSAGE -- someone thinks "Linnell" is an odd last name.
I wonder how Bacall came up with that one? And what a coinky dink that she happens to be friends with Agnes who figures in Bogie's murder case.

This movie has almost as many coincidences as a Hallmark tv movie. "So you two know each other", etc.

I just love the ending: Bogart: "Oh by the way Agnes fell out the window but I didn't do it" Bacall: "I believe you" It's all.....just too marvelous, too marvelous for words!