The Greatest Suicides on Film

Dargo

Re: The Greatest Suicides on Film

Post by Dargo »

I've always felt one of the more interesting and unusual means a character willingly ends his life is shown at the end of the film 'The Light That Failed' (1939).

Ronald Colman, a former British soldier who becomes a painter and who gradually goes blind and thus does not want to live any longer, returns to a late-19th century battlefield in the Sudan and leads a charge on horseback while knowing it means certain death.

(...don't see that very often, now do ya)
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

When I hear the opening strains of Beethoven's 6th (Pastoral) Symphony, still to day and after over 50 years of first watching it unfold on the silver screen, I sometimes think back to how Edward G. Robinson decided to end his life in the film 'Soylent Green'...

And now for an extra little bonus here, please enjoy the following spoof of this scene which was once featured on 'The Simpsons' TV series...

NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:04 pm When I hear the opening strains of Beethoven's 6th (Pastoral) Symphony, still to day and after over 50 years of first watching it unfold on the silver screen, I sometimes think back to how Edward G. Robinson decided to end his life in the film 'Soylent Green'...

And now for an extra little bonus here, please enjoy the following spoof of this scene which was once featured on 'The Simpsons' TV series...

Damn, Dargo, I wish I'd come up with that one!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:12 pm
So NS, you fellow ol' SoCal boy, you. Can you tell me where the exterior shots were filmed in this flick and as Eddie G. walks toward that assisted suicide building?

(...betcha can, can't ya)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:20 pm
So NS, you fellow ol' SoCal boy, you. Can you tell me where the exterior shots were filmed in this flick and as Eddie G. walks toward that assisted suicide building?

Honestly don't have to double-check: the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena!! (I think. ;) )
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

Yukio Mishima in Patriotism
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:25 pm
Honestly don't have to double-check: the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena!! (I think. ;) )
Yep, that's it! Or, at least WAS it, anyway.

'Cause as I'm sure you know, that location is now where they would build that stadium where they play that game in which almost all players aren't allow to use their hands, and so the ball is endlessly kicked back and forth upon the field, AND with the FINAL score quite often being somethin' like 2 to 1...if THAT!!!

But HEY, and as any Soccer fan will tell ya, at least there's "continuous on-field action". Uh-huh, AND which of course primarily consists of players kicking the ball to their teammate BUT then it getting intercepted by an opposing player who then kicks it in the other direction...back and forth...back and forth...back and forth we go.

(...so NS, can you tell I'm not a big soccer fan here?!!!) ;-) LOL
Last edited by Dargo on May 9th, 2024, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:20 pm

I love the poignant film friendship of Sol and Thorn...
Interesting anecdote to the SOYLENT GREEN duo, Dargo, which you're almost certainly already familiar: Charlton Heston eulogized Edward G. Robinson!!
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:55 pm
Interesting anecdote to the SOYLENT GREEN duo, Dargo, which you're almost certainly already familiar: Charlton Heston eulogized Edward G. Robinson!!
Yep, Eddie G. died within a few weeks of its post-production, as I recall.

However, there's absolutely NO truth to the rumor that during Eddie's eulogy, Chuck said anything at all about prying anything from Eddie's hands while he layed in his coffin.

(...sorry...couldn't resist...yeah, yeah, I know...much too easy, huh!) ;)
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 7:10 pm
NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:55 pm
Yep, Eddie G. died within a few weeks of its post-production, as I recall.

However, there's absolutely NO truth to the rumor that during Eddie's eulogy, Chuck said anything at all about prying anything from Eddie's hands while he layed in his coffin.

(...sorry...couldn't resist...yeah, yeah, I know...much too easy, huh!) ;)
Well, Dargo, I was going to type something about real estate developers lacking the genetic makeup to hold anything sacred but, oh, never mind...
NoShear

Post by NoShear »

Dargo wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:51 pm
NoShear wrote: May 9th, 2024, 6:25 pm
Yep, that's it! Or, at least WAS it, anyway.

'Cause as I'm sure you know, that location is now where they would build that stadium where they play that game in which almost all players aren't allow to use their hands, and so the ball is endlessly kicked back and forth upon the field, AND with the FINAL score quite often being somethin' like 2 to 1...if THAT!!!

But HEY, and as any Soccer fan will tell ya, at least there's "continuous on-field action". Uh-huh, AND which of course primarily consists of players kicking the ball to their teammate BUT then it getting intercepted by an opposing player who then kicks it in the other direction...back and forth...back and forth...back and forth we go.

(...so NS, can you tell I'm not a big soccer fan here?!!!) ;-) LOL
At the risk of you going ape$#!+ ;), Dargo, you'll note the demographic collision of the baseball backstop and a certain type of goalpost here:

As with multiple schools of my youth, the above Woodland Hills field is likely now just another apartment complex.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I don't know if they are great, but "Gomer" Pyle blowing himself away in
Full Metal Jacket was fairly gruesome. Fortunately he had the where-
withal to kill that loud mouth scumbag drill instructor first.

Leo. G. Carroll slowly pointing the gun on himself and pulling the trigger in
Spellbound. My what a big gun and hand you have.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: May 9th, 2024, 8:16 pm
Leo. G. Carroll slowly pointing the gun on himself and pulling the trigger in
Spellbound. My what a big gun and hand you have.
Yeah, the hand holding the revolver isn't actually the most lifelike or realistic looking thing you'll ever see in a movie, is it.

(...btw, ever notice the splash of red color added to the firing of the gun in this otherwise monochromatic film?...I never had before, anyway)
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

No one has suggested this movie:

Last edited by skimpole on May 11th, 2024, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.