Noir Alley

Hoganman1

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Hoganman1 »

I wasn't that impressed with FOLLOW ME QUIETLY. Like I've said before they cannot all be DOUBLE IDEMNITY. It appears that after all these years Eddie is running out of noirs that he can show. I hate that because I love Noir Alley. However, as someone once said "all good things must come to an end".
Frankly, I'm fine with reruns if they have to do that. I could gladly watch OUT OF THE PAST, THE BIG SLEEP or THE LADY IN THE LAKE again and again.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hoganman1 wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:00 pm I wasn't that impressed with FOLLOW ME QUIETLY. Like I've said before they cannot all be DOUBLE IDEMNITY. It appears that after all these years Eddie is running out of noirs that he can show. I hate that because I love Noir Alley. However, as someone once said "all good things must come to an end".
Frankly, I'm fine with reruns if they have to do that. I could gladly watch OUT OF THE PAST, THE BIG SLEEP or THE LADY IN THE LAKE again and again.
There are many Fox and Universal noirs that Eddie hasn't shown, but since it cost more to lease films from these studios (verses MGM, WB and RKO), the odds are low that Eddie will be able to convince the suits to pony up.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:21 pm
Hoganman1 wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:00 pm I wasn't that impressed with FOLLOW ME QUIETLY. Like I've said before they cannot all be DOUBLE IDEMNITY. It appears that after all these years Eddie is running out of noirs that he can show. I hate that because I love Noir Alley. However, as someone once said "all good things must come to an end".
There are many Fox and Universal noirs that Eddie hasn't shown, but since it cost more to lease films from these studios (verses MGM, WB and RKO), the odds are low that Eddie will be able to convince the suits to pony up.
I still say Eddie should consider making that one-month-only Neo-Noir thing he did with Ben Mankiewicz last year a regular thing, but without Ben. Now, no offense here meant to the nasally one mind you. It's just that I think Eddie should still host his presentations alone.

Maybe switch off each other week with a Neo-Noir, is all I'm sayin' here, and so in that way lessening the chances of him repeating the older fare.

(...I mean, "The Czar of NEO-Noir" still has a nice ring to it, wouldn't ya say?!) ;)
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

This past weekend there was a similar situation with Silent Sunday Nights - Jacqueline Stewart presented The Merry Widow (1925) with nearly the same script she used from a showing in May of 2021. I haven't been following Silent Sunday Nights enough to know if this is just a coincidence, or if something else is going on perhaps as a way to save costs on the weekend presentations. I think without a doubt we are in a period of a higher number of rerun films on Noir Alley. We are getting a new Japanese noir this coming weekend and Eddie has also scheduled some new films from Argentina as well as Call Northside 777 for the first time in June, so at least there are some new things coming up among the reruns.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Dargo wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:37 pm I still say Eddie should consider making that one-month-only Neo-Noir thing he did with Ben Mankiewicz last year a regular thing, but without Ben. Now, no offense here meant to the nasally one mind you. It's just that I think Eddie should still host his presentations alone.

Maybe switch off each other week with a Neo-Noir, is all I'm sayin' here, and so in that way lessening the chances of him repeating the older fare.
I would also be fine with Eddie doing the occasional neo-noir film, especially if they were films of high quality. One thing that distinguished the first run of neo-noir films that Eddie and Ben did was they picked the cream of the crop. I know Eddie has said that he wants to present a range of films to better represent the genre, but it is always nice to see a really good film, particularly if there are some that haven't been discussed before.
Andree

Post by Andree »

FMQ was fairly entertaining. It's not original or top drawer, but it gets the job
done in one hour, though it is a bit of a bare bones flick. I don't mind if the cop
isn't obsessed. Sometimes I like to see a regular cop, just like Otis Campbell liked
to see a bat once in a while. I do think that Lundigan needs extra training on how
to properly handcuff someone. He almost got killed by handcuffing the prisoner to
himself. A performance review should straighten that out.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Very creepy scene on a rainy night with the back towards the audience dummy "looking" out a window.

William Lundigan, a more palatable version (as far as I'm concerned) of Dennis O'Keefe.

I thought Dorothy Patrick was obnoxious as the tabloid journalist. The opening scene shows a woman's legs walking back and forth, then the camera pans up to Patrick (wearing a silly cocked beret) inhaling then disgarding a cigarette in a tough prison-like way (similiar to a hardened Eleanor Parker at the finale of CAGED) that makes us (as perhaps a clever form of misdirection, a la Margot Grahame's initial close-up with her scarf in THE INFORMER) believe she's a hooker who is going to meet a bad end but at the beginning....
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

cmovieviewer wrote: May 13th, 2024, 7:58 pm This past weekend there was a similar situation with Silent Sunday Nights - Jacqueline Stewart presented The Merry Widow (1925) with nearly the same script she used from a showing in May of 2021. I haven't been following Silent Sunday Nights enough to know if this is just a coincidence, or if something else is going on perhaps as a way to save costs on the weekend presentations. I think without a doubt we are in a period of a higher number of rerun films on Noir Alley. We are getting a new Japanese noir this coming weekend and Eddie has also scheduled some new films from Argentina as well as Call Northside 777 for the first time in June, so at least there are some new things coming up among the reruns.
That's good at least. Yes, I have a feeling we're in store for more reruns on Noir Alley. I won't be watching as much.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 14th, 2024, 2:50 am Very creepy scene on a rainy night with the back towards the audience dummy "looking" out a window.

William Lundigan, a more palatable version (as far as I'm concerned) of Dennis O'Keefe.

I thought Dorothy Patrick was obnoxious as the tabloid journalist. The opening scene shows a woman's legs walking back and forth, then the camera pans up to Patrick (wearing a silly cocked beret) inhaling then disgarding a cigarette in a tough prison-like way (similiar to a hardened Eleanor Parker at the finale of CAGED) that makes us (as perhaps a clever form of misdirection, a la Margot Grahame's initial close-up with her scarf in THE INFORMER) believe she's a hooker who is going to meet a bad end but at the beginning....
Yeah, agree. It leads you to believe she's some noir dame, but turns out she's just some boring, obnoxious reporter...
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

Here is the Noir Alley schedule for May and June so people can get a feel for the rerun situation:

05-04 Dark Passage (1947) (repeat, shown on Noir Alley in 2018)
05-11 Follow Me Quietly (1949) (repeat, shown on Noir Alley in 2018)
05-18 Take Aim at the Police Van (1960) (Japan) (new - a TCM premiere)
05-25 Bad for Each Other (1954) (new on Noir Alley)

06-01 Tomorrow Is Another Day (1951) (repeat, shown on Noir Alley in 2018, 2020)
06-08 Never Open That Door (1952) (Argentina) (new - a TCM premiere)
06-08 If I Should Die Before I Wake (1952) (Argentina) (new - a TCM premiere)
06-15 Call Northside 777 (1948) (new on Noir Alley)
06-22 The Locket (1946) (repeat, shown on Noir Alley in 2018)
06-29 No Questions Asked (1951) (repeat, shown on Noir Alley in 2018)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Thanks. A lot of Argentine films. Eddie seems to like them. I don't remember No Questions Asked. I'll have to look it up. I just saw Bad For Each Other a few months back for the first time so I'll probably skip that one. Not too many reruns at least.

Unsure if I've seen No Questions Asked. I remember seeing one Arlene Dahl noir film, but not sure if that's the one. I'll find out when its on. If so, I don't remember it from the plot synopsis.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:19 pm Thanks. A lot of Argentine films. Eddie seems to like them. I don't remember No Questions Asked. I'll have to look it up. I just saw Bad For Each Other a few months back for the first time so I'll probably skip that one. Not too many reruns at least.

Unsure if I've seen No Questions Asked. I remember seeing one Arlene Dahl noir film, but not sure if that's the one. I'll find out when its on. If so, I don't remember it from the plot synopsis.
The Arlene Dahl noir film you saw was likely MGM's Scene of the Crime (1949), starting Van Johnson, where Dahl plays his wife. The better female role in the film is by Gloria DeHaven as Lili.

No Questions Asked (1951), also an MGM film, does have Dahl in a grittier role.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:44 pm
Hibi wrote: May 14th, 2024, 1:19 pm Thanks. A lot of Argentine films. Eddie seems to like them. I don't remember No Questions Asked. I'll have to look it up. I just saw Bad For Each Other a few months back for the first time so I'll probably skip that one. Not too many reruns at least.

The Arlene Dahl noir film you saw was likely MGM's Scene of the Crime (1949), starting Van Johnson, where Dahl plays his wife. The better female role in the film is by Gloria DeHaven as Lili.

No Questions Asked (1951), also an MGM film, does have Dahl in a grittier role.
I'm really not sure which one I've seen or maybe both. I don't remember it well so at least it wont be that familiar. We'll see.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

The TCM daytime theme tomorrow (Thursday, May 16) is "Film Noir of the 1940s." Each of these films has been featured on Noir Alley in the past. Here is the schedule (times are ET):

05-16 07:15 AM Pitfall (1948) 84m
05-16 09:00 AM The Set-Up (1949) 72m
05-16 10:15 AM The Maltese Falcon (1941) 100m
05-16 12:00 PM Lady in the Lake (1947) 103m
05-16 02:00 PM They Live by Night (1948) 95m
05-16 04:00 PM The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) 116m
05-16 06:00 PM The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) 111m

Eddie's intros should be available on YouTube.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: May 13th, 2024, 11:06 pm FMQ was fairly entertaining. It's not original or top drawer, but it gets the job
done in one hour, though it is a bit of a bare bones flick. I don't mind if the cop
isn't obsessed. Sometimes I like to see a regular cop, just like Otis Campbell liked
to see a bat once in a while. I do think that Lundigan needs extra training on how
to properly handcuff someone. He almost got killed by handcuffing the prisoner to
himself. A performance review should straighten that out.
SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!!!!!! JOE KENDA IS BACK!!!!!!! MYMYMYMYMY! I saw a commercial for it the other day. Hasn't he run out of cases by now???. I guess there's hope for Paula yet! :( (Unsure if he's rehashing old cases or its like his last one, commenting on others).