Noir Alley

Bronxgirl48

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

A lot of good little noirs that will never see the light of day at TCM can be found on YouTube.

Oh, I read The Expendable Man and Eddie is right -- it would indeed be impossible to film.
Andree

Post by Andree »

There probably wouldn't be enough interest to start a stand alone ID thread
and only some of the shows are worth talking about. But there are many noirish
elements to these shows: The psychological problems of some of the characters,
a twist of fate, the innocent person looked at by the police as guilty, etc.

I'll watch TAATPV. I don't think it's a repeat and it's only 79 minutes long.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

I don't even know what ID stands for.
The Shining Hour (1938)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 18th, 2024, 4:32 pm A lot of good little noirs that will never see the light of day at TCM can be found on YouTube.

Oh, I read The Expendable Man and Eddie is right -- it would indeed be impossible to film.

Off-topic here but I thought the same thing about Catch-22. How could that possibly be filmed? And yet it was accomplished. Mike Nichols was brilliant in not trying to put some spin on it to make all that absurdity seem even real. But he did and he did it by just following that absurdity right out of the book without much explanation, and to a tee and came of with a winner ... imo.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Andree

Post by Andree »

laffite wrote: May 18th, 2024, 6:33 pm I don't even know what ID stands for.
Investigation Discovery, it's a cable channel specializing in true crime.

I just reread Catch-22 a few years ago. I remember when the movie
came out it got mostly bad reviews. I haven't seen it in a long time so
I'd have to watch it again to evaluate it.
Andree

Post by Andree »

I always thought Eddie wrote his own intros/outros. His are longer than the other
hosts' and provide more info on the source of the film and on the screenplay. I
watch noirs on YT, some good, some average. I just watched Try and Get Me!
starring Frank Lovejoy and Lloyd Bridges. Lloyd plays one of the sleaziest villains in
noir. Lovejoy is the guy down on his luck who goes along for the ride. They both end
up swinging from a rope with Lloyd going ballistic at the end. The last 15 minutes
are quite exciting. I mistook Katherine Locke, who has a supporting role, for Barbara
Baxley. They look very similar.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: May 18th, 2024, 6:37 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 18th, 2024, 4:32 pm A lot of good little noirs that will never see the light of day at TCM can be found on YouTube.

Off-topic here but I thought the same thing about Catch-22. How could that possibly be filmed? And yet it was accomplished. Mike Nichols was brilliant in not trying to put some spin on it to make all that absurdity seem even real. But he did and he did it by just following that absurdity right out of the book without much explanation, and to a tee and came of with a winner ... imo.

But when you learn the twist in The Expendable Man, you will understand.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: May 18th, 2024, 9:31 pm
laffite wrote: May 18th, 2024, 6:37 pm

But when you learn the twist in The Expendable Man, you will understand.
Wow, that must be some twist.
The Shining Hour (1938)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Yep.
ElCid

Post by ElCid »

Andree wrote: May 18th, 2024, 6:25 pm There probably wouldn't be enough interest to start a stand alone ID thread
and only some of the shows are worth talking about. But there are many noirish
elements to these shows: The psychological problems of some of the characters,
a twist of fate, the innocent person looked at by the police as guilty, etc.

I'll watch TAATPV. I don't think it's a repeat and it's only 79 minutes long.
Perhaps this would be the appropriate thread: viewforum.php?f=18
It discusses Noir and Crime.
The car is a 1958 De Soto Fireflite Sportsman hardtop.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Thompson wrote: May 18th, 2024, 11:08 pm
Heller gives me somewhat of a pain, I don’t know why. Thought Catch 22 was brilliant, but turned off by Something Happened, and I just don’t like the looks of the guy. Doesn’t mean anything of course.

There was a girl yesterday, I was walking to the liquor store, and she came up behind me and startled/scared me. She was very apologetic and put her hand on me for reassurance. She just wanted to say that she liked my blue and white pin striped overalls.
I've never read Something Happened. It is considered one of Heller's better books,
but to each their own. For the most part I don't think Catch-22 is unfilmable. I just
think the total absurdity of things works better in print than on the screen.

I hope they looked better than Eddie's pinstripe suit from last week. Yikes.
Andree

Post by Andree »

ElCid wrote: May 19th, 2024, 10:57 am
Perhaps this would be the appropriate thread: viewforum.php?f=18
It discusses Noir and Crime.
I will take it under advisement. :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

No one watched Police Van? I liked it (up to a point). Had a lot of style. I gave up trying to follow the plot after a half hr.in and decided just to be entertained. Too many characters and I couldn't keep them all straight. But I was never bored. Some really good sequences. Of course, the plot was hard to swallow when you started thinking about it, but a fun time watching it unfold. I guessed who "Mr. Big" was.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I watched about 15 minutes.
The Shining Hour (1938)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Hibi wrote: May 20th, 2024, 8:48 am No one watched Police Van? I liked it (up to a point). Had a lot of style. I gave up trying to follow the plot after a half hr.in and decided just to be entertained. Too many characters and I couldn't keep them all straight. But I was never bored. Some really good sequences. Of course, the plot was hard to swallow when you started thinking about it, but a fun time watching it unfold. I guessed who "Mr. Big" was.
I also watched Take Aim at the Police Van and am glad Eddie showed it. That opening sequence was really well directed. It was even cool in the credits that we saw the warning signs in reverse order, then again in correct order after the movie proper began. Like you, I couldn't follow the plot too well and keep all the characters straight, but there were some really good moments and interesting camerawork. A guy wants to see what's behind a curtained entrance, and out falls a naked woman with an arrow in her breast! What??

One brief incredible shot: guys in a hot springs swimming pool in a glassed-in room, and outside, waves are breaking on the shore. The location shooting was cool, too. I'd take this over The Big Knife and Follow Me Quietly any day.