Hey Miss G and movieman:

mrsl

Hey Miss G and movieman:

Post by mrsl »

I should have put this in a different category, but I wanted you both to see it.

movieman:

Miss Goddess and I generally agree on movies we like and dislike, so often when she comments on a movie, I don't respond because I'll just sound like a dolt saying "Me too, I liked it too, Duh". I have to say though that what both of you just said is so true. I guess if you're a nice person, try to do the right thing, and be friendly and nice to everybody, you tend to see movies that basically follow those parameters. I like to be a little scared at movies, but don't care to see too much, just as when I pass an accident on the road, I drive by quickly, I don't slow down to gawk because what if I see something really horrible and I get sick behind the wheel? On the other hand, if I'm in a happy mood, why would I want to watch a serious drama that is going to make me cry? Whereas if I'm down, I may want a happy movie to lift my spirits.

We humans are a weird breed. The sweetest little golden haired girl can surprise you by being the president of the fan club for the movies Saw. So go figure!!!

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman

Post by movieman »

Thank you for your comments, Anne!

But, it's not like I want to see the "darker" westerns because I'm a dark minded person. I tend to think of myself as a, generally, positive person. If you meet people with a positive mind they'll give you the same treatment.
Of course, I'm only human. All of us have unhappy moments or periods, that's life!

That's a big reason for loving movies. They show all kinds of sides of the human mind / living. Sometimes it's nice to see a depressive movie, other times an uplifting movie.
Or films that are depressing but at the same time are uplifting and inspiring.

Some people criticize movies for being just a dreamworld where we can get away from the stress of the daily life. This is often the case, but it's the same with books. At least it is for me.
Not all films carries you away into a cozy dreamland. Many films touch you deeply and you never forget some scenes, they stick with you through life. It's the same with books.
Films touch you in another way than books do. Films are more direct and the settings are more definite. You can't create your own dreamworld as with books.

That's not to say people don't perceive films in different ways, of course they do. This takes me back to the discussion of subjectiveness. The perception of a film or book is in many ways subjective.

Films are not just a dreamland, it's art. A beautifully made film can hold symbolism and beautiful picture composition. A film can be as good or better than a book, it depends on the book or the film.
A good book can be adapted into a good film and the other way around.
Well, look here:

from a --------- into a

good film ----> good book
good film ----> bad book
bad film ----> bad book
bad film -----> good book (not often the case, maybe never?)

A film can be good on it's own terms, even if it strays away from the plot in the book. Sometimes the plot in a film is better than in the book, but it's mostly the other way around.
If you haven't read the book, the film can be very good no matter how the book is either in plot or descriptions.

I guess you all knew this anyway, but my hope is some aren't as knowledgeable as most of the visitors in this marvellous forum.

The discussion of adaptations is always interesting, I think.

A film can transcend (couldn't find the word in my dictionary) the book and become a piece of art on it's own terms.

Anne, I've never seen any of the Saw films and I'll never do, I hope.

Enough of my babbling. Hope some of it is of slight interest.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for the public discussion. I have been writing diatribes and I enjoy seeing you dissect your reasonings.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

movieman:

I have never seen any of the Saw movies either, I don't even watch the coming attractions when they're on TV. And you haven't babbled yet. Like you, I'm sure others know what we're saying, but there are always those few who don't so there is no reason NOT to give your opinion on ANYTHING. Although this is the wrong thread, one of my favorite films is Meet Me in St Louis. When I was about 10, it was on the Saturday night MGM movie at 10:00 here in Chicago. My Mom and sister were already in bed and just Dad and I sat back and watched it from beginning to end. Dad TALKED to me, and we both laughed at our right feet keeping the beat to The Trolley Song, and in all, we watched it together. We had never shared anything like that before, but that is when he learned how much I loved music (he played in a band for weddings), so he realized we had something in common. It's a terribly fond memory for me, so naturally I have a soft spot in my heart for that movie.

That is basically what I got from your post, not the darker side of westerns. Sometimes I like to watch a moody film which is put in a western setting, because for me it's more acceptable than in a modern day setting. I mean, I'd rather see a sheriff in a shootout with the bad guys in the hills, or a deserted western street, than in an indoor shopping mall.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This would be an awfully dull place if no one gave their opinion about things.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne! Thanks for sharing---you know me, "miss opinionated", but I never want to hurt anyone intentionally. I do sometimes turn into a feminine steamroller when it comes to my Gary and Pappy! :P

I'm fiercely loyal about people, places, things, ideas, dreams and ideals and sometimes I wear blinkers---while I am very comfortable with the blinkers regarding my favorites, I don't expect anyone else to aqree with me. If they do jog along the same trail, it's lovely to have companions, but I can get along alone if I must. To illustrate, ChiO and I have a lovely chess game going over who really was the best "F"ing director in the world and I for one would hate for it to end. His passion for Sammy Fuller has sparked my interest in a director I was only marginally aware of. Fortunately, he's much more tactful and diplomatic than I. :wink:

Cheers,

Miss G(arrulous)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

This would be an awfully dull place if no one gave their opinion about things.
Absolutely! One of the differences between SSO and another board that I used to be more active on is that, on SSO, people know how to state their opinions without resorting to expressly or impliedly stating that anyone who disagrees is either a fool or lacks good taste. (No, I'm not speaking directly to you, Miss G(arrulous) :lol: .) Folks here also focus on what makes a film a success or why it appeals to them, rather than endless discussions on the "worst" movie or actor/actress.

Now, I am outwardly calm, compromising, devil-may-care and cheerful, but inwardly depressed and anti-social (love individuals -- it's people I can't stand) -- the dark side of that Irish & Welsh part of me, I guess (you probably couldn't tell from my Timothy Carey avatar and the signature quotes from two of his films, eh?). So guess what? Love film noir and the darker Westerns; give me Anthony Mann, Billy Wilder, Samuel Fuller, John Cassavetes, Carl Dreyer and Robert Bresson. They resonate with me in ways that I am, believe it or not, usually at a loss for words to explain.

But, as I tell Mrs. ChiO when she asks "Why do you watch all these depressing movies?": "The only depressing movie is a mediocre movie." Dark subject-matter does not mean that the movie is depressing for me. It can be touching or cathartic, or a "failure" -- as long as it is a "good" or "powerful" or "well-intended" and not "so-so".

Where did this start? My session with Herr Doktor Freud is now over. See you on the couch next week. :roll:
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Defintely agree ChiO. I'm interested in humanity and human nature in film, and in many cases Noir, or Horror bring much of this out in interesting contexts that average dramas do not.

This is not to say I always like depressing films. As Movieman stated, moods can affect perception, and the conditions under which one sees a film can dramatically affect what influence it takes upon our lives. Happier movies such as Harvey (1950), which recently showed on TCM, are no less deep in character study. The same goes for Chaplin comedies.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

ChiO and Mr. Arkadin made some good points about people in general. I liked Chio's 'I like individuals, it's people I don't like'. Very well put, I'm the same way.

I have also found even in the lesser known, or 'B' rated western films, that character study is often foremost. Two favorites are Richard Widmarks', 1959 Death of a Gunfighter, and Robert Mitchums' 1955 Man with a Gun. Both go pretty much in depth as to what makes up a man who lives by his gun. As I said, those are favorites of mine, but there are many, many more of the same ilk. I find them often in unknown titles that are tossed in the 'clearance' bin. Altogether, it's amazing how many gems you can find in those bins, of all genres.

Anne
Anne