Gilliam's 'The Carnival at the End of Days'

ziggy6708a

Gilliam's 'The Carnival at the End of Days'

Post by ziggy6708a »

was "mr6666" @ TCM
TikiSoo

Re: Gilliam's 'The Carnival at the End of Days'

Post by TikiSoo »

Looking forward to another Gilliam film. Hope this one gels.
skimpole

Post by skimpole »

That's nice to know.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I like Gilliam's bits on Monty Python. I loathe his movies. I walked out of The Time Bandits, and I think, if pressed to name my least favorite film of all time, I would say Brazil, and I was cursed to watch the long version, at the Kensington Odeon in 1985. 142 minutes! I couldn't leave because it was raining, and I had chosen the film because I had a dinner party to attend in the neighborhood.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Swithin wrote: June 5th, 2024, 8:25 pm I like Gilliam's bits on Monty Python. I loathe his movies. I walked out of The Time Bandits, and I think, if pressed to name my least favorite film of all time, I would say Brazil, and I was cursed to watch the long version, at the Kensington Odeon in 1985. 142 minutes! I couldn't leave because it was raining, and I had chosen the film because I had a dinner party to attend in the neighborhood.
The Fisher King (1991) is great, even for non Gilliam fans.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 6th, 2024, 7:35 am The Fisher King (1991) is great, even for non Gilliam fans.
Agreed-The Fisher King is in my top 10 favorite movies. Gilliam’s creativity & directing style fit the story of tragedy and mental illness perfectly-

Gilliam movies generally fare better seeing them on the big screen where you can be absorbed into the story without distraction. I loved Time Bandits and 12 Monkeys in the theater, but could not watch them later on DVD. Don’t know what that says about me or the movies.

While I have the “long version” of Brazil on DVD, could only get through the theatrical shorter version-it was plenty! I love the story but much of it is bleak and slow moving.

Gilliam is like Kubrick to me- the films are not for everybody but when you DO connect with them, they can be outstanding.