All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
KayFrancis
Posts: 1338
Joined: December 3rd, 2022, 3:30 pm

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by KayFrancis »

Family was my favorite of the ones you mentioned above. Great actors, great scripts, a very touching, well done show. Ally McBeal was great, Northern Exposure and The Practice all very good shows.
A young, gorgeous Richard Chamberlain played Dr. Kildare. The most famous episode was Tiger, Tiger with Yvette Mimieux. I preferred Ben Casey but Dr. Kildare was a very popular show and enjoyable.
As much as I cannot stand
George C. Scott, East Side, West Side was a good show but I doubt it's available. Route 66 was my favorite.Theae are the ones that come to mind f I think of others to recommend I'll post them.
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 1153
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by CinemaInternational »

KayFrancis wrote: June 4th, 2024, 4:19 pm I agree about Desperate Housewives, really enjoyed that show and I remember that story about Nicollette Sheridan . I've mentioned Knots Landing numerous times over the years on our old TCM site and this one. My favorite, the best of all the nightime soaps. I watched every episode, all 14 years when it first aired. Soapnet showed re runs of Knots, my older daughter was away at college but my younger daughter was still at home, we watched Knots together and she loved the show.
Oh, in spite of ebbing a few times throughout its run, Knots always came back with some fresh new spin on things. It was an exceptional series, in my top 3 favorite series. The writing was remarkable, and the actors were so well suited to their roles. Oh, the cast members who did so well on there in one of the best ensembles seen on TV: Michele Lee (Karen Cooper Fairgate McKenzie), Ted Shackleford (Gary Ewing), Joan Van Ark (Valene Clements Ewing Ewing Gibson Waleska Ewing), Constance McCashin (Laura Avery Sumner), John Pleshette (Richard Avery), Claudia Lonow (Diana Fairgate Fenice), Donna Mills (Abby Fairgate Cunningham Ewing Scott Sumner), Tonya Crowe (Olivia Cunningham Dyer), Julie Harris (Lilimae Clements), Kevin Dobson (M. Mack McKenzie), Lisa Hartman (Ciji Dunne/Cathy Geary), Michael Sabatino (Chip Roberts aka Tony Fenice), William Devane (Gregory Sumner), Douglas Sheehan (Ben Gibson), Teri Austin (Jill Bennett aka Dorothy Simkins), Hunt Block (Peter Hollister aka Peter Simkins), Ruth Roman (Sylvia Lean), Nicollette Sheridan (Paige Matheson), Michelle Phillips (Anne Matheson), Lynne Moody (Patricia Williams aka Samantha Sollars), Larry Riley (Frank Williams aka Jerry Sollars), Melinda Culea (Paula Vertosick), joseph Gian (Tom Ryan), Stacy Galina (Kate Whitaker, also played Mary-Frances Sumner in three episodes) , Kathleen Noone (Claudia Sumner Whitaker), Thomas Wilson Brown (Jason Lochner), Lorenzo Caccialanza (Nick Schillace), Felictity Waterman (Vanessa Hunt)...all memorable and just typing this list brings back so many good memories.

I only wish it had received the Emmy attention it deserved, but it had the rotten luck of airing in the timeslot opposite two of the Emmys favorite series (Hill Street Blues in the early 80s, LA Law in the late 80s/early 90s). The only year it was up for anything major was when Michele Lee and Julie Harris were nominated for Season 3 (the season where Karen was coping with being a widow after her husband Sid after died on the operating table [a truly shocking demise, given that Don Murray who played him was still in the opening credits through that episode] and Lilimae moved in with her daughter Valene .... Just as Valene's husband Gary was about to give in to that affair with Abby... Oh gosh, I loved that show), and they both should have won that year.

I still hold that the devastating Season 9 episode "The Gift of Life" in which Constance McCashin's character Laura leaves the community while facing her terminal illness is one of the most heartbreaking TV episodes of any series. It's perfectly done.

And the finale that season with Jill holding Valene hostage is one of the most chilling scenes I have ever seen, and it gives both actresses great acting opportunities.

There were so many other indelible plotlines though.... Outside of that brief deadly run of 8 episodes at the start of Season 13 that didn't work at all (Linda being killed off so abruptly, Karen and Mack being held hostage in their home by her killer, Tidal Energy, such thinly scripted...and quickly discarded.... new characters that not even Marcia Cross or Halle Berry could make much of them), the show never ceased to be a high quality wonder. The finale was perfect (that scene that Valene and Gary had in the diner, the scene where Karen finds out Valene is alive, and the final scene where a certain someone moves back in to the neighborhood are all exceptional scenes), and it was so gratifying to see it go out on such a high note.
User avatar
CinemaInternational
Posts: 1153
Joined: October 23rd, 2022, 3:12 pm
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by CinemaInternational »

Hibi wrote: June 4th, 2024, 4:16 pm It seems incredible now but at one point Peyton Place was on 3 times a week! And it never showed reruns in the summer. New episodes all year round.
Indeed it did. Aside from the last few months, when it was down to just once a week, it typically aired twice a week, and for about 11 months, it aired three times a week. That probably explains who so few stayed the course of the show, although it was a fine acting showcase for Dorothy Malone Barbara Parkins, Tim O'Conner, Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Christopher Connelly, Lee Grant (who won an Emmy),_Ruth Warrick, Susan Oliver, the wonderful and underrated Leigh Taylor -Young and more. It holds up really well except for some of that folk music scenes near the end.
User avatar
Fedya
Posts: 204
Joined: December 3rd, 2022, 6:18 pm

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by Fedya »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 4th, 2024, 3:08 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: June 4th, 2024, 1:46 pm
Hibi wrote: June 4th, 2024, 12:36 pm One could say this for just about any tv series. Most stay on the air long past their shelf life. MTM and Seinfeld are 2 rare examples of shows that ended while they were still at the top of their game. Frasier is an example of the other extreme. Ran out of steam many seasons before they pulled the plug.


Desperate Housewives ended well, but two of irs earlier seasons (two and five) had faltered.


I enjoyed DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES when it originally aired but I haven't watched it since.

I remember being annoyed that they killed off the Edie Brit character.
I always thought of it as DESPERATE MILFS, although I'll admit to not knowing if any of the characters actually had children. The commercials didn't make it look like anything I wanted to watch.

Then again, these days about the only contemporary TV is watch is sports and game shows.
User avatar
HoldenIsHere
Posts: 940
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm
Location: The Notorious H.n.J.

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by HoldenIsHere »

CinemaInternational wrote: June 4th, 2024, 3:37 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: June 4th, 2024, 3:08 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: June 4th, 2024, 1:46 pm



Desperate Housewives ended well, but two of irs earlier seasons (two and five) had faltered.


I enjoyed DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES when it originally aired but I haven't watched it since.

I remember being annoyed that they killed off the Edie Brit character.
Desperate Housewives is one of the very few post-2000 shows that I really went into, so I ended up seeing every episode. It really hearkened back to the 80s soaps, especially Knots Landing (in which three of its cast members had taken part), although it was more comic in tone than the earlier programs and also more risque. It might not have been quite as good as Knots Landing, but it was still a very good series. The exceptional cast was the show's strong suit, coupled with some very perceptive writing. I do know it was a very troubled set behind the scenes. Nicollette Sheridan, a seven year veteran of Knots who played Edie until halfway through season 5, didn't find out her character was killed off in a freak accident with a downed power line until a day or two before they filmed it. Not very nice.
Yes, I recall thinking there was something shady about the way Edie was killed off DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, but I didn't know that Nicollette Sheridan didn't find out about Edie's fate until days before it was filmed.
It was rumored that the final season was going to be set before Mary Alice Young's suicide so I hoped that Edie would return, but of course that never happened.
Marcia Cross was brilliant as the icy Bree Van de Kamp. I enjoyed seeing Carol Burnett as Bree's "wicked stepmother" and of course Shirley Knight as Bree's mother-in-law from hell. The storyline with the pharmacist George Williams (Roger Bart) was one of my favorites, especially when Bree shot off one of his toes (accidentally of course) and when George threw Bree's psychiatrist over a cliff. I laughed so hard at that part!
User avatar
Detective Jim McLeod
Posts: 915
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:26 pm
Location: New York

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

jimimac71 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 11:49 am
The most memorable episode to me was with Sammy Davis Jr.
That is my favorite episode as well. Here are my top ten episodes, the one with Sammy at #1 and the rest in broadcast order. I had to really pare it down to get just 10 but I am too lazy to type anymore than that.

1. "Sammy's Visit" from Season 2.The most hilarious sitcom episode ever as Archie tries to compliment big star Sammy Davis Jr but just ends up putting his foot in his own mouth. Great ending too.
2. "Mike's Hippie Friends Come To Visit" Season 1. Mike invites an unmarried hippie couple to stay the night, Archie will not allow it, many funny lines here.
3. "Edith's Accident"-Season 2. Edith and her shopping cart hit a car, she leaves a note, much to Archie's chagrin. We get a first glimpse of Edith's roundabout storytelling.
4. "The Elevator Story" Season 2.Archie is stuck in an elevator with people he can't stand.
5. "Edith The Judge" Season 2. Edith is asked to decide a dispute between Archie and a launderette owner. Jack Weston is hilarious as the emotional guy who cries at everything.
6. "Lionel Steps Out" Season 3. Archie goes berserk when he finds out his visiting niece is dating black next door neighbor Lionel.
7. "Mike's Appendix" Season 3. Mike needs an appendectomy but doesn't want a female doctor. Everybody has good scenes and lines in this one.
8. "Archie Goes Too Far" Season 3. Archie invades Mike's privacy and the whole family leaves home, another one with non stop hilarity from the whole cast.
9. "The Games Bunkers Play" Season 4. Mike plays a game called Group Therapy with Edith, Gloria, Lionel and new neighbors the Lorenzos, He learns some hard truths about himself. There is an ending that is both hilarious and touching.
10. "Lionel's Engagement" Season 4. Lionel is having an engagement party and all the Bunkers are invited. Archie and George Jefferson finds thing to agree on at the end.
User avatar
txfilmfan
Posts: 636
Joined: December 1st, 2022, 10:43 am

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by txfilmfan »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 5th, 2024, 10:55 am
jimimac71 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 11:49 am
The most memorable episode to me was with Sammy Davis Jr.
That is my favorite episode as well. Here are my top ten episodes, the one with Sammy at #1 and the rest in broadcast order. I had to really pare it down to get just 10 but I am too lazy to type anymore than that.

1. "Sammy's Visit" from Season 2.The most hilarious sitcom episode ever as Archie tries to compliment big star Sammy Davis Jr but just ends up putting his foot in his own mouth. Great ending too.
2. "Mike's Hippie Friends Come To Visit" Season 1. Mike invites an unmarried hippie couple to stay the night, Archie will not allow it, many funny lines here.
3. "Edith's Accident"-Season 2. Edith and her shopping cart hit a car, she leaves a note, much to Archie's chagrin. We get a first glimpse of Edith's roundabout storytelling.
4. "The Elevator Story" Season 2.Archie is stuck in an elevator with people he can't stand.
5. "Edith The Judge" Season 2. Edith is asked to decide a dispute between Archie and a launderette owner. Jack Weston is hilarious as the emotional guy who cries at everything.
6. "Lionel Steps Out" Season 3. Archie goes berserk when he finds out his visiting niece is dating black next door neighbor Lionel.
7. "Mike's Appendix" Season 3. Mike needs an appendectomy but doesn't want a female doctor. Everybody has good scenes and lines in this one.
8. "Archie Goes Too Far" Season 3. Archie invades Mike's privacy and the whole family leaves home, another one with non stop hilarity from the whole cast.
9. "The Games Bunkers Play" Season 4. Mike plays a game called Group Therapy with Edith, Gloria, Lionel and new neighbors the Lorenzos, He learns some hard truths about himself. There is an ending that is both hilarious and touching.
10. "Lionel's Engagement" Season 4. Lionel is having an engagement party and all the Bunkers are invited. Archie and George Jefferson finds thing to agree on at the end.
Re: #3. MMM-MMM-UH - Edith-speak for cling peaches (in heavy syrup)! Haven't seen that episode since it originally aired, but I still remember this vividly.
User avatar
HoldenIsHere
Posts: 940
Joined: October 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm
Location: The Notorious H.n.J.

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by HoldenIsHere »

txfilmfan wrote: June 5th, 2024, 12:23 pm
Detective Jim McLeod wrote: June 5th, 2024, 10:55 am
jimimac71 wrote: June 4th, 2024, 11:49 am
The most memorable episode to me was with Sammy Davis Jr.
That is my favorite episode as well. Here are my top ten episodes, the one with Sammy at #1 and the rest in broadcast order. I had to really pare it down to get just 10 but I am too lazy to type anymore than that.

3. "Edith's Accident"-Season 2. Edith and her shopping cart hit a car, she leaves a note, much to Archie's chagrin. We get a first glimpse of Edith's roundabout storytelling.
Re: #3. MMM-MMM-UH - Edith-speak for cling peaches (in heavy syrup)! Haven't seen that episode since it originally aired, but I still remember this vividly.
I'm not really a fan of ALL IN THE FAMILY in general, but I do like that episode.
Marysara1
Posts: 92
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 1:14 pm

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by Marysara1 »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/6-nor ... a7a2&ei=56 I found this article on the internet.
User avatar
Detective Jim McLeod
Posts: 915
Joined: December 2nd, 2022, 12:26 pm
Location: New York

Re: All In The Family- Started Off Great But Later Went Downhill

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Marysara1 wrote: June 6th, 2024, 4:43 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/6-nor ... a7a2&ei=56 I found this article on the internet.
They picked only one episode from All In The Family and it is just an OK one from the awful Season 8.
Post Reply