Andrew V McGlaglen, in the shadow of Ford and Mann

stuart.uk

Andrew V McGlaglen, in the shadow of Ford and Mann

Post by stuart.uk »

Andrew V McGlaglen is in my opinion an underrated director, who has lived in the shadow of both John Ford and Anthony Mann as a great film maker. his bond with Ford is the fact he's the son of Victor McGlaglen and made many of John Wayne's later films. with Mann it's the James Stewart connection.

he's made his own classic Westerns McLintock with Wayne and Maureen O'Hara.
his best film was Shenendoah with James Stewart and Doug McgLure
The Rare Breed with Stewart, O'Hara, Juliet Mills and Brian Keith
Chisum with Wayne and Forrest Tucker
his most underrated western Something Big with Dean Martin, Carol White, Honor Blackman, Brian Keith and Ben Johnson
Cahill United States Marshal with Wayne, Gary Grimes and Marie Windsor
The Blue And The Grey with Gregory Peck, a mini series.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Shenandoah is truely a great film, and MCLintock! is a fine comedy Western, but IMHO Mr. McLaglen's films are overall just average. :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think he is what one might call a workmanlike director. Decent, solid films but nothing, often, beyond that level.

He did a lot of TV work early on. I have been watching the series "Have Gun- Will Travel" and the first year is mostly McLaglen's work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I agree that Shenendoah, The Rare Breed, Chisum, and the Blue and the Grey were all excellent. The rest you listed however, I feel are minor copies of Ford and Mann. Many scenarios are almost duplicates of previous movies. The romp through town between Wayne and O'Hara is only taken out of the country and put in town. It could be that the writers gave him more 'meaty' scenes or he directed on his own rather than asking for any advice. I don't know, but when watching the ones I mentioned, I don't feel I'm seeing any kind of mini-Ford/Mann production.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Stuart,

I'm currently watching the second season of "Gunsmoke" and am starting to see Andy's name in many of the directorial credits.

I like Shenandoah and McLintock! best of all his movies.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Anne and Miss G

I think McLintock deserves a bit more credit than it gets. i actually think the romp through town is more entertaining than in The Quiet Man and the reason for this is Maureen O'Hara. though not a tomboyish role she does some hair-raising stunts. at the begining, despite her long Victorian style outfit, she falls down the muddy quarry backwards and that was done not long after her having surgery. as for the ending, the falling of a ladder into a horse well is worthy of Keaton and Mauren showed, in her underwear what a great athlete she was in her early 40s, by running after Duke's carriage and jumping on
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm glad to see someone else has something nice to say about "Something Big." I saw that when it first came out. I was still in elementary school. I enjoyed it then, but I'll have to see it again some day.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Spioler Alert

I think Something Big is a minor classic. Dean Martin is terrific as Baker, who wants to pull off a big job before settling to marry his Scottish girlfriend Dover played by Carol White. to do this he needs a gattling gun, but someone who can supply one doesn't want any money. he wants a woman.

so Baker kidnaps Honor Blackman, not realing she's the wife of army Colonel Brian Keith, who along with scout Ben Johnson takes up the trail

I think the film is great fun!