HEY MOVIEMAN; A Rundown on Mr. Even

Chit-chat, current events
mrsl

HEY MOVIEMAN; A Rundown on Mr. Even

Post by mrsl »

Just out of curiosity, I wish someone would put up a list of what songs are being added to that Mr. Even's C&W list. I'm curious as to what people consider C&W music. I can't go onto the thread myself, but I would like to know.

Anne
Last edited by mrsl on February 25th, 2008, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

movieman:

Since you started the thread, won't you please at least have pity on me and tell me what's going on on the other thread? It was mean of you to start a thread that you knew I would like, but that you also knew I could not go into. I'm afraid of breaking my computer, and if I do, I cannot afford to take it somewhere to be fixed. And I've already used up my one free repair time from my server. I just wonder what's going on over there.

Anne
Anne

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

Hi, Anne.

It's still pretty early over there yet, but many old time country stars have been highlighted, including Jimmie Rodgers, The Carter Family, The Stoneman Family, Jim Reeves, Waylon Jennings, Buck Owens, Connie Smith, The Flatlanders and George Jones.

Just the tip of the iceberg. Plenty of room for the likes of Hank Williams, Patsy Cline, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Ray Price and so many more. This doesn't even begin to talk about some of the more contemporary names like Alan Jackson, George Strait, Tim McGraw and Garth Brooks.

melwalton was reminiscing about the Weavers and their rendition of On Top of Old Smoky, so I posted three of their videos although they are folk instead of C&W.

Personally, I prefer the old time stuff - Kitty Wells, Marty Robbins, Eddy Arnold, Faron Young, Hank Thompson, Webb Pierce... the list could go on and on. I've been listening to a lot of Hank Williams, Sr. lately.

Maybe you can start a thread and ask for only address links and no embedded videos so you can enjoy some of the memories that go along with this wonderful genre.

Myself, as long as it's not progressive jazz or rap, I can enjoy just about anything.
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Anne,

Is the young computer tech from upstairs still able to help you solve this problem?
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hi Lynn:

His car has been gone during the day this week, so I suspect he got a job again and forgot all about me. Which I certainly can't blame him for. He was out of work for about three months, and that is an eternity for many people.

Thank you for the run down. Sounds like I would really enjoy it. When I first saw the thread, I thought that was what people would do, but I guess it's harder to put the URL or whatever it is in than the actual video. I'll live though. The fellow who got the computer for me in the first place and set it up is coming over in a couple of weeks, so maybe he can check it out for me.

I'm with you on the older music, and every now and then I love to listen to bluegrass - not a lot - but a good smattering of it is fun and energetic.

Anne
Anne

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Anne:

Jon has posted a solution for you in the "Help" forum. All we need is someone to walk you through it. Unfortunately, I'm not really that qualified.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman

Post by movieman »

Well, Anne

It was not my meaning to upset you. I thought your computer problems was over by now. I sure hope you'll get help soon. It's a shame you won't be able to watch these classic country greats :cry: :cry:
I thought you'd like my new thread and I'm sure you will when your PC problems are settled. :)

I've been a country fan since about 1991. One of my father's records got me hooked. The title is "Country / Western Jamboree", which is record no. 4, in the 10 disc set of LP's "The Stereo Collector's Set" from RCA Records (1970).
It features these artists:
Charley Pride
Chet Atkins
Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton
Jimmy Dean
Connie Smith
Jim Reeves
Floyd Cramer
Don Gibson
Norma Jean
Waylon Jennings

When I discovered Jim Reeves in 1992 it was no way back. The album "The Best of Jim Reeves" (a battered copy my mother'd got from my father) made me a fan along with my mothers Jim Reeves single "I've Enjoyed As Much Of This As I Can Stand / Before I Died".
I've collected albums of most of the ones mentioned above, but above all Jim Reeves (82 record albums) and Connie Smith (20 record albums).

The last CD I ordered (it hasn't arrived yet) is by Sunny Sweeney: "Heartbreaker's Hall of Fame" (2007).

Even B
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Thanks movieman:

I hope you realized I was being facetious when I said you were mean. I don't know if you saw my post the other day when looking for a George Strait CD, I found buried under about 4 CD's of Georges, The Greatest Hits of The Statler Brothers which I grabbed so fast my daughter thought there was a bug in the rack or something. The nice thing about living where not too many C&W fans live is, I got it for only $8.64, ha-ha. I loved those guys and everything they did but it's so hard to find their stuff unless you pay up to $20.00 on the CMT site.

This one has Randolph Scott, Pictures, Class of 1957, Bed of Roses and about 10 more, I'll wear my car CD player out on it.
Ahh Jim Reeves, nobody sings a ballad like he did, and except for Elvis, I never heard a voice like Waylon either, another who could do it all. I used to love Dolly and Porter's show. I had albums by Dolly and Porter, Dolly alone, and Porter alone, Loretta and Conway and also both of them alone, Merle Haggard, Waylon, Jim Reeves, Charley Pride, and so many more, I can't remember all of them, and of course George Jones, and Tammy, and just as all of them quit, along came George Strait, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, Reba, Tim and beautiful Faith. Most of the rest of the new guys are having their 15 minutes of fame just like so many actors of today, and soon we will never hear of them again.

Anne
Anne