Liberty Valance
38%
The Searchers
62%

Total votes: 21

cinemalover

Choose the Best Western of All Time: Results

Post by cinemalover »

We started with 32 strong candidates and now we're down to the final two. Based on the fact that these two films made it to the Final Four of the Best Movie Ever competition I think we all saw this duel coming. Let's make this an exciting round to close out the competition with and give it everything we've got. Let's hear from everyone, regardless of whether you've been part of the process to this point. Make your voice heard and cast a vote!

In this thread you must choose between The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance or The Searchers.

The voting runs through Saturday, March 1st, at 11:59pm (Pacific).

Last edited by cinemalover on March 2nd, 2008, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

The moment I've been dreading. Well, at least I gave Liberty (that is, I gave TOM) one vote. Otherwise it might be a "shut-out". I can't disagree with anyone who says The Searchers is the better film, it is in many respects, but TMWSLV has my heart lock, stock and smoking barrells.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

These are two great films, both deserving of our recognition. Over the years I find my tastes changing, and I find that I respond differently to the same films than I did a few years ago. When I was younger I didn't see what all the fuss was about The Searchers and how much critical acclaim it was receiving. With repeated viewings I came to share those views and appreciate it as a true masterpiece. Now, in recent years, I have almost come to resent the flood of positive praise heaped upon it. There is no real logical explanation for it, I still feel it is an incredible film. Maybe I just don't respond well to so many critics telling me that it is supposed to be the best. My natural rebellion against those authoritative figures rises like bile. Today, and for all of these competitions so far, I have tended to go to which film I would enjoy sitting down and watching right now, in the place where my life is at the moment.

Right now, I would enjoy sitting through another viewing of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance more. On a pure entertainment level it gets my vote.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

cinemalover wrote:These are two great films, both deserving of our recognition. Over the years I find my tastes changing, and I find that I respond differently to the same films than I did a few years ago. When I was younger I didn't see what all the fuss was about The Searchers and how much critical acclaim it was receiving. With repeated viewings I came to share those views and appreciate it as a true masterpiece. Now, in recent years, I have almost come to resent the flood of positive praise heaped upon it. There is no real logical explanation for it, I still feel it is an incredible film. Maybe I just don't respond well to so many critics telling me that it is supposed to be the best. My natural rebellion against those authoritative figures rises like bile. Today, and for all of these competitions so far, I have tended to go to which film I would enjoy sitting down and watching right now, in the place where my life is at the moment.
That's the Citizen Kane syndrome. I think more people would like it -- or at least be more open to its fascination -- if all the critics didn't tell them they had to like it.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

cinemalover said:
My natural rebellion against those authoritative figures rises like bile.
I certainly understand that sentiment. I have the same reaction to Ford and Hitchcock films generally. But, for whatever irrational or sociopathic reason, I don't have that reaction to my favorite director, Welles, or CITIZEN KANE, which is by far my favorite film to watch over and over and....

In spite of my love for James Stewart (my favorite actor) and Lee Marvin (at the summit of his slack-jawed slimy self), and general antipathy to any John Wayne performance, THE SEARCHERS is my favorite Western (MissG -- don't ever quote me; I will deny it). I didn't nominate it (or RED RIVER or THE OX-BOW INCIDENT or TMWSLV, which are in my Top 15) out of my sense of contrarianism and confidence that they didn't need my vote. But give me a movie about obsession (the film noirist in me) and I'm usually going to be in its corner.

There -- the kiss of death. TMWSLV will undoubtedly overtake THE SEARCHERS.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

We have ourselves a winner!

The Searchers takes the crown for SSO's Bestavorite Western for 2008!

Thank you to everyone who participated in our happy little competition. We'll be taking some time off from these competitions so they don't get stale, but we'll be back before you know it to determine the Bestavorite Noir Ever! See ya' then!
Chris

klondike

Post by klondike »

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x
ken123

Post by ken123 »

What a surprise !! I voted for The Searchers over The Man Who shot Liberty Valance, but Fort Apache is still my # 1 :wink:
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Yehaw! At least I'm familiar with the winner. And now, as the grizzled old geezer in Puccini's version of Girl of the Golden West shouts, "Whiskey, per tutti!".
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

"I'm stunned, stunned, I tell ya!"

Color me happy.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning...

I'm sorry I wasn't around to participate in this epic battle! Maybe I missed it somewhere among the nominees, but was "High Noon" ever a part of the process? Or "Unforgiven?" If they were, I'm curious to know how far along they made it and who they lost out to. For my money, they should have been the two finalists! They're by far my two favorite westerns.

As always,

Hollis
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Hollis,
Welcome back. High Noon lost to Winchester '73 in the first round. And if you're talking about The Unforgiven from 1960, it didn't make the field of 32 and if you meant Unforgiven from 1992, it lost in the first round also.
Chris

CharlieT

Post by CharlieT »

I didn't get to vote for the final, being away from home and my internet connection, but I would have voted for The Searchers anyway - so I guess it would be like whipping a dead horse. :)
"I'm at my most serious when I'm joking." - Dudley

Don't sweat the petty things - don't pet the sweaty things.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Chris,

It was in fact "Unforgiven" of '92 and not "The Unforgiven" of '60. But even at that, all I can say is "unbelievable, simply unbelievable." Rounding out my top three would be "Red River." I fail to see how two such highly regarded films could bow out so early on. But, there's no accounting for taste, is there? (Just kidding!, just kidding!) Maybe we could try "The Best Film Noir" next...

As always,

Hollis