Another Good One!

mrsl

Another Good One!

Post by mrsl »

I just finished watching another one of my 'comfortable' movies. By that I mean, one that's good for just feeling good at the end, or good on a rainy afternoon or lonely evening. It's not an old movie, it's from 2005 and named Miracle at Sage Creek. The listed stars are David Carradine and Wes Studi, but actually the star is a lady who plays a lot of Indian women.

I don't know her actual nationality, but she does play a great Indian. Her name is Irene Bedard and she is not only lovely but a fine actress as well. It seems whenever a casting director needs a good female lead, no matter what age, they call on Irene. She has played a range from very young, like 15 or so and up to 60. You can probably tell I admire her and think a lot of her as an actress. She went the age route in Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee, from young to old, someone's mother in Squanto, and (the made for TV) Siege at Wounded Knee, and someone screwed up and cast her in a very tiny part in The New World a couple of years ago, instead of giving her one of the leads.

Anyway it's a formula movie, but most of the acting is top knotch - you can't miss with Carradine or Wes Studi, and it was filmed at the Old Tucson Studios, in Tucson, AZ. The story is pretty much readable but it's still a nice little time killer.

One other nice surprise was seeing Ronnie's dad Rance Howard as the doc who wants to help but doesn't know how, and of course Wes Studi saves the day. That's all I can say, but it is nice to see Rance whenever he shows up - one of the good guys who obviously made a good living sticking with the unglamorous supporting parts, which Ronnie never fails to mention whenever anyone will listen.

It's on the Western Channel this month, so catch it if you can. :lol:

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Irene Bedard is Inupiat (Eskimo), Quebecois & Cree; shorthand, to most Canadians, she'd be referred to as Metis.
If you like her work, check out her roles in Smoke Signals (from the novel by the brilliant but annoying Sherman Alexis), and in 2005's mega-mini-series "Into The West".
My personal fave among racially accurate Native American actresses is the highly professional, always enoyable Tantoo Cardinale (since '95, a fellow Vermonter). 8)
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Yes Klondike:

Ms. Cardinal is another goodie. In 2005 I was working 6 nights a week from 2:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. so I never even heard of Into the West until last week when someone mentioned it. I'll have to try to find it in rental.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************