woman plays man

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
melwalton

woman plays man

Post by melwalton »

Wasn't sure where to post this, I'll put it in General;.
Saw movie recently in which Jessie Matthews played a woman disguised as a man ( First a Girl ). Put me in mind of other films, same theme.
Dorothy Lee in 'Cockeyed Cavaliers' c. 1935. In each case they disguised them by cutting their hair short, It wasn't believable. Not nearly. A blind man could 've seen they were women.
Hepburn in 'Sylvia Scarlett' was somewhat more believable.
I did some research and found that Pickford played little Lord Fauntleroy
in 1921. Betty Bronson played Peter Pan ( as did several others at a later time ) in 1924. I didn't see these two. I would like to, Anna May Wong played Tiger Lily in the Bronson one. Interesting.
Here's one I'd like to get some information about.
A woman ( short, Oriental looking ) whose name I've forgotten played a man, very Convincingly ( I think she got some kind of award ) I don't recall movie title, either. ...... mel
klondike

Re: woman plays man

Post by klondike »

melwalton wrote: Here's one I'd like to get some information about.
A woman ( short, Oriental looking ) whose name I've forgotten played a man, very Convincingly ( I think she got some kind of award ) I don't recall movie title, either. ...... mel
Mel, if it's a foreign language film w/ subtitles, it might have been a late 90's film called Lab en Kisses, which was shot in the Phillipines, with a Filipino cast.
Far as I know (and I could well be wrong), there is no dubbed version available.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mel,

I think you are thinking of Linda Hunt, who won a Best Supporting Oscar for her portrayl of "Billy" in The Year of Living Dangerously.

She also plays a saloon-owner and possible love interest to Kevin Kline in Silverado and is the voice of "management" in the wonderful series Carnivale.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

Lynn, you're dead on right; I think I got hung-up on the racial distinction element, and Linda definitely has that dwarvian omni-racial look, anyway.
:roll:
And let me hasten to add I'm a BIG fan of the powerhouse that is Ms. LH; along with the rest of wideawake America I became fascinated by her very good work in a very good movie (Year of Living Dangerously), and then felt the hook go all the rest of the way in just a half-year later in Lynch's flawed but breathtaking Dune, where she effortlessly nailed the elusive cameo of household domestic/native spy Shadout Mapes con brio.
The woman is a marvel & a treasure.
8)
Long may she play!
melwalton

Linda Hunt

Post by melwalton »

Klondike .... Lynn. Thanks to both of you.
Yes. Linda Hunt. As soon as I saw the name in print I remembered. and the movie living dangerously. You're right she did a great job. Grade A actress.
Thanks again .... mel
egolden

Re: woman plays man

Post by egolden »

melwalton wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this, I'll put it in General;.
Saw movie recently in which Jessie Matthews played a woman disguised as a man ( First a Girl ). Put me in mind of other films, same theme. ...... mel
That's the 1935 remake of the fabulous 1933 Viktor und Viktoria, starring the equally fabulous Renate Muller (who was sort of the German Claudette Colbert, till her mysterious death in 1937. Do try to beg, borrow or steal a copy of it, it's the best of all the versions! It was remade again in Germany in 1957, with Johanna von Koczian, and of course the (bland and over-rated, if you ask me) 1982 version with Julie Andrews.
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Miss Eve - I'm confused! Which is the copy I'm suppose to steal? Er, the best in your opinion? I've seen the 1933 German version - without subtitles, mind you - and laughed my head off! I had no idea there was a 1935 English version with Jessie Mathews.
melwalton

victor / victoria

Post by melwalton »

EGOLDEN ..... Jezebel
Nice to hear from you.
I didn't care for the story. Jessie Matthews is number ! with me. I was slightly disappointed with 'First a Girl' It wasn't a patch on 'It's Love Agaim'. I did watch it a few times I watch her films often. ... mel
egolden

Post by egolden »

I've actually only seen the Renate Muller and Julie Andrews versions. Loved Renate, and the whole film had that wonderful Lubitsch-type air to it, with the dialogue and songs melting into each other. I'd love to see the Jessie Matthews version, but it never shows up on US television!