The Alfred Hitchcock Hour - An Unlocked Window

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw this one a couple of years ago, and it is very good. I guess it can be seen as the "missing link" between "The spiral Staircase" and "Halloween."
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

There's a new horror type channel that has shown up called Chiller. It purports to have the AH hour on their schedule. I'll have to check it out to see for sure.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Yikes!!!! That scared the beans out of me!! I thought it was more frightful and sicko than Psycho.

I've checked the locks on my door three times.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Well, I wasn't around in 1965 so I mean just now when I watched it for the first time! I don't watch scary movies because I get spooked easily, and this episode was REALLY creepy.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JohnM wrote:Oh well, then you can imagine the impact in 1965 on television!!
It must have scared people silly, especially women---especially NURSES!

MikeBSG had a good point---I did see similarities to The Spiral Staircase, and, of course to the more graphic movies of the type to come.

I admit that ending had me jolted! I never would have figured it that-a-way.
markfp

Post by markfp »

Chiller TV is a partnership between NBC and Universal. I don't know what cable companies carry it, but I get it on DirecTV. Good stuff if you don't mind commercials. When they started they ran Alfred Hitcock Presents in sequence starting with Episode one.

I didn't realize the hour shows were on, but according to their website it started in February and is shown at 6am and Noon.

Check with your cable company you might have a nice surprise coming.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I think the hour long episodes are also being made available for viewing on some websites started by NBC. There were several press releases about that recently, online.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Many thanks to JohnM and MissGoddess for alerting me to those incredible Hitchcock hour long episodes!!! I agree with you, John, "Unlocked Window" and "The Jar" were definitely two of the finest suspense dramas ever produced for television!
Are either of you (or anyone else for that matter) familiar with the hour long program Hitchcock produced in the late 50s called SUSPENSE? I believe it only lasted one season, but it yielded at least one fantastic episode called "Three O'Clock" starring E. G. Marshall. It was adapted from a short story by Cornell Woolrich and was directed by Hitchcock himself. Absolutely great!
Thanks again!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This thread contained the first hour long AF episode I've ever seen so I look forward to more, including "The Jar" and the series, "Suspense". I just wish they were a little faster at pumping out the original series on dvd.