Ingrid's Yellow Rolls Royce

stuart.uk

Ingrid's Yellow Rolls Royce

Post by stuart.uk »

Spoiler Alert

I think i'm all alone here, but i The Yellow Rolls Royce is my favorite Ingrid bergmen film. again i think i'm alone when i say widowed Diplomat Gerta Millett is her sexiest role, even though she was 48 when she played it.

the one disappointment was that it wasn't a full feature film, instead the the third in a series of short stories involving the yellow Rolls and its owners. Ingrid was an attractive femininely dressed American Diplomat opposed to the War in Europe in the early days of WW2. then she meets freedom fighter Omar Sharif and sees first hand the horrors of war, which changes her political views.

in helping Omar, she changes her feminine image for something more tomboyish as she drives his men to his fortress in the hills. she also falls for him and though Ingrid is over 20-yrs-older, it's hard to spot the large difference.

it did occur to me that Ingrid and side kick Joyce Grenfel could have reprised their roles for an adventure series which sees them in high level political settings and mixing it up with getting involved in dangerous situations near enemy lines.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Stuart, I got to see this film at Radio City Music Hall, during it's premiere run. My mother, father, a cousin and I were in NYC for the World's Fair of 1963-64. We were treated to a fabulous (in my eyes, anyway) stage show with the Rockettes, and then this terrific (again IMO) movie. I thought the Bergman-Sharif segment was the best of the 3, too. I thought she was beautiful in this movie, and also in "Cactus Flower".
As Robert Duvall said in Lonesome Dove, "The older the fiddle, the sweeter the music" :o
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Nancy, alas i'm not alone

when suggested on another forum this was Ingrid's sexiest role, they said she'd aged and wasn't the looker she was in her Casablanca days.

i was a kid when i first saw it and didn't know who Ingrid was, but Wow i thought her beautiful. then when i found out it was her, i also discovered she was 48. now by then i was in my teens and again though Wow, this woman looks good for her age. now i'm 50 that aspect isn't so remarkable to me, as i find woman in general are more attractive in so called middle age than when they were younger

she also looked good in Goodbye Again, but in that she chose the wrong bloke in and should have picked the younger Anthony Perkins, who was in love with her.

in Cactus Flower, i wonder if she could have dressed younger in order to compete with Goldie Hawn. IMO she certainly had the figure and the looks for it