Chester Morris in Blind Alley 3/25 @ 11pm

Discussion of programming on TCM.
moira finnie
Administrator

Chester Morris in Blind Alley 3/25 @ 11pm

Post by moira finnie »

I'm not sure if anyone else finds Chester Morris as entertaining as I do, but his brand of sarcasm and criminal activity is quite often right up my entertainment alley.

Morris can be seen in Blind Alley (1939) with none other than Ann Dvorak on TCM tonight, Mar. 25, at 11:00PM ET. This film is adapted by the same screenwriters from the same play that formed the basis of tonight's 8pm film, The Dark Past, which features Lee J. Cobb & William Holden leading the cast. Both sound promising, but the prospect of Chester & Ann sounds best of all to me!

In the last year or so, I feel as though I'm constantly learning to appreciate Chester Morris more each time TCM unearths another of the little programmers that Morris found himself in during his long, (slightly checkered) career.
While he is probably best known for his work in Alibi (1929), The Big House (1930) The Divorcee (1930) and the Boston Blackie movies, I think I first realized what a phenomenal actor he could be when I stumbled across the wonderful version of Three Godfathers (1936) a few years ago. Directed by a talented but forgotten figure from America's theatrical & cinematic past, Richard Boleslawski, it is much more tough-minded and realistic than the better known, beautiful looking 1948 John Ford version.
Sharing the screen with the superlative Walter Brennan and Lewis Stone (who was particularly good in a different role for him), Morris just burned up the screen with his brash and very appealing bad man. While I'd been familiar with the cheerful (and sometimes stylish) Boston Blackie films, I've since found myself tracking down every one of his movies when they're on--just to enjoy the ride, even when it's not supposed to be a good film.

Just the other morning, TCM ran an unheralded, deeply cynical, yet wonderfully entertaining 1937 RKO movie called Flight From Glory. Never heard of it? Welcome to the club.

Well, this well acted film featured a stoic Morris playing a disgraced pilot who's working for a fly by night airline that supplies mines in the Andes. Their planes are junk and their pilots have black marks on their records and can't fly for anyone in the states, and, oh yeah, their airline charges them for their transportation, food, lodging etc. and most of the poor saps wind up owing the airline thousands by the time their contract runs out, so they can never leave, except by crashing!.

Among the denizens of this hellish place are a disgraced Russian who maintains the planes and a manager who is a real tight s.o.b. Chester Morris is joined in this combination of No Exit and The Wages of Fear by none other than a very young, good Van Heflin as one more flier off the scrap heap. Heflin even brings along a dishy wife, played by the lovely (though rather stiff) Whitney Bourne. Morris does a great job as a very bitter but tender hearted and sarcastic guy who tries not to fall for the disintegrating Heflin's bride.

I'm sure that most of you have gathered that Howard Hawks +had+ to have seen this movie before making Only Angels Have Wings in 1939. Hawks had Cary Grant, Thomas Mitchell and cast as well as a budget that must've been about 5 times that of Flight from Glory! Interesting, eh? All this little movie had going for it were some good, under-rated actors, particularly Chester Morris, a good actor who could make any sow's ear of a movie into a silk purse!

I hope that anyone who likes or dislikes Chester Morris will chime in here.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

I couldn't agree more, Moira.

I wasn't that familiar with him until I started watching the Boston Blackie series off of TCM and now that he's on my radar I seem to notice him in a large variety of roles. He has that smirking confidence that I love to watch in actors. He also has the ability to wink at the audience as if to say "I'm actually getting paid to do this stuff, I'm the luckiest guy in the world!".

I've yet to see him in anything where I didn't appreciate his contribution.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

He was great in THREE GODFATHERS. Actually during the hollidays my father watched the movie with me because he was familiar with the John Ford version and actually liked the earlier version a lot better. It was a gritty yet well thought and heartfelt film.
klondike

Post by klondike »

What a joy & what a relief to read someone else beating the proverbial drum for the '36 version of Three Godfathers . . I was starting to feel like some pedantic old grind with my frequent pitches for this grossly underappreciated masterpiece.
And let me hasten to add ('cause there's really no stopping me at this point in the arc), that above and beyond all the other remarkable qualities of this film, for me, is that celestial brilliance of the very film itself; it is without a doubt the most lustrous (that I've ever beheld) of the old silver haline school of B&W, and the dazzle that lends the storytelling prowess of this tale just makes me 9 years old, all over again.
Bless classic Hollywood; and bless you all for your fraternity therein, with me!
raftfan

Post by raftfan »

Completely agree. I really rediscovered Chester Morris when we finally got TCM up here in Canada. Have enjoyed him in so many films since then. As I said in an earlier post, I much preferred the Morris version of "Three Godfathers" to the later John Ford version. And, of course, Morris was great as the gangster in "Alibi". Also "The Big House" and "Five Came Back". Haven't seen "Blind Alley" yet, so am looking forward to it.

And a bonus: Marc Lawrence as one of Morris's gang!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I give DARK PAST slightly higher marks than BLIND ALLEY, probably because the acting style had changed in that decade separating them.

I'm happy that TCM got both versions of the same story, however, and I know I wouldn't avoid buying either DVD if/when it's available.

Osborne's comments about enjoying seeing Bellamy play something other than his traditional 'oaf' role is perfect, too. He can be a compelling and serious character on-screen, and this was a good example of it.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Overall I think THE DARK PAST was better as well but I preferred Morris' portrayal of the Wilson character. William Holden seemed to be a little too old for the role but Morris was the right age. In many ways Morris gave a very Cagneyesque portrayal which was a little distracting as it made me wonder how he'd do the Wilson role.

As for Ralph Bellamy he was great but I prefer Lee J. Cobb's portrayal over his. Cobb looked older and wiser whilst Bellamy had a stuffed shirt feeling whenever he was speaking. At least it offered him a different role then the ones he normally did.