Produced by Albert Zugsmith

Discussion of programming on TCM.
benwhowell

Produced by Albert Zugsmith

Post by benwhowell »

I always love seeing that credit! I know it's going to be a wild ride...Douglas Sirk's "Written On The Wind," Orson Welles' "Touch Of Evil" and Russ Meyer's "Fanny Hill-"featuring Miriam Hopkins as a sixty-something madam!

Looking forward to seeing that credit tonight on TCM with...
"High School Confidential."
The director this time is Jack "The Creature From The Black Lagoon" Arnold.
From Jerry Lee Lewis pounding out rock and roll on the back of a flat-bed truck...to Mamie Van Doren seducing her "nephew" ("Want some milk?")...this surreal high school drug expose has a "cool factor" that's way off the charts. Best "hepcat" dialogue since "Sweet Smell Of Success."
The cast includes the offspring of Hollywood "royalty-"John Drew Barrymore, Charles Chaplin, Jr. and William Wellman, Jr.
Round that out with Russ Tamblyn, Jan Sterling, Mel Welles, Lyle Talbot, Michael Landon AND Jackie Coogan as "the pusher" Mr. A.

Be there or be square...
Handsome Johnny Eck
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

I trying to think of a teenager-rock'n'roll-exploitation movie that I enjoy more...and can't. I'll be there listening to Jerry Lee pound out the theme (my favorite tune of the Killer's) and watch Aunt Mamie.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I never cease to marvel at the absolute bizarre and surreal nature of this incredibly cool movie. From Jerry Lee's hipper than hip opening theme song to the audacious presumption that Mamie Van Doren just might pass for Russ Tamblyn's aunt to sexy teacher Jan Sterling to John Drew Barrymore's priceless juvie lingo to---and this is my favorite thing about the movie---former kid star Jackie Coogan, now bloated and bald, as the drug pushing Mr. A. That much more unbelievable when you realize that it came from MGM.
A five-star classic!
brandonlinden

Post by brandonlinden »

And in full widescreen, nonetheless! I have been wanting to see this film since reading about it in the old "Psychotronic Film Guide" and cannot wait to unspool it hot off the tivo tomm. morn.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think Zugsmith also produced "The Incredible Shrinking Man."