Someone has to know the answer to this...

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

Someone has to know the answer to this...

Post by Hollis »

Good morning all,

Not being the world's best researcher, I'm seeking a little help in answering this question. Even with his good friend (and frequent director) John Ford urging him to, John Wayne did not serve in the military during WWII. Many others did, like Robert Montgomery, Jimmy Stewart and Eddie Albert to name but a few. Would anyone know why "The Duke" didn't serve? I understand that he was physically eligible (as far as I know) and Mr Ford was more than a bit upset with him for not enlisting. It seems incongruous that the star of so many war movies never served yet his popularity didn't seem to suffer in the least. Please help. "I've always depended upon the kindness of strangers."

As always,

Hollis

p.s. And a very happy Easter to all!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Hollis:

I hope you are well.

I found this link which references a biography on Duke.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_004.html
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Scott Eyman's 1999 bio of John Ford, Print the Legend, supports Uncle Cecil's statements regarding age and dependents. It also states that, according to the Duke's son, the Duke had an ear infection that returned whenever he got into water.

Pappy also was not pleased with Ward Bond for not enlisting, but Bond was 4-F (epilepsy).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:
Pappy also was not pleased with Ward Bond for not enlisting, but Bond was 4-F (epilepsy).
Slightly off-topic, but not too much: speaking of Ford & Bond, according to IMDb, @ WB's funeral in 1960, Pappy buttonholed Andy Devine, and proclaimed loudly: "Now you're the biggest s*n of a b*tch I know!"

:shock: :lol: :shock:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Errol Flynn didn't serve because he was 4f , I can't remember the ailment. I think it was his heart.

Cary Grant didn't serve either. I've heard that it was because he was he had links to the FBI and the person he was spying on was Barbara Hutton because her previous husband and father of her child had Nazi sympathies. I don't know whether I believe that or not. In one way it explains his none participation but means he was spying on his wife. Does anyone have a better explanation of why Grant didn't go to war?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Pappy buttonholed Andy Devine, and proclaimed loudly: "Now you're the biggest s*n of a b*tch I know!"
When I first heard that story, I was crushed. Bond looked and acted as if he really could be a SOB, but Andy? "Hey, Bill, wait for me!"
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Morning Chris,

Quite an interesting article you cite. If it's true, more's the pity and the irony. Thanx for the assist!

As always,

Hollis

p.s. The Doc's trying a new regimen at my request and so far so good. I'll let you know how it goes.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hollis wrote:
p.s. The Doc's trying a new regimen at my request and so far so good. I'll let you know how it goes.
Good luck. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Stay strong Hollis, I miss your voice around the boards.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I'll never understand how John Ford could proclaim anyone else to be the biggest SOB he knew. He didn't own a single mirror? He didn't know his own name or street address? Boy - that lobotomy must have REALLY worked on him!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

For those interested, there's a very good book entitled When the Stars Went to War: Hollywood and WWII by Roy Hoopes.

Quite an eye opener on how actors served their country and what avenues they took in which to do so. It also talks about those who avoided service and fought the draft. A very enlightening book.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That does sound an interesting read. Thanks for that Mr Arkadin :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning CharlieChaplinFan (sorry I don't know your first name,)

One possibility as to why Cary Grant didn't serve in WWII was that he was already close to 36 when England declared war on Germany in 1939. Which means he would have been almost 38 at the time the US became involved in the war in 1941. Certainly men his age did serve but it might be a factor in his remaining a civilian. It certainly didn't hurt his career though. From what I've been told, his films were quite popular in Germany before and after the war. I don't know of another actor/actress that had more of a universal appeal than he did, do you? I could be way off base but then again...? Who knows?

As always,

Hollis