What a gold mine i've found!

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

What a gold mine i've found!

Post by Hollis »

Good evening,

One of the most important things I've learned from my time as a member of this community is to not prejudge movies based on their genre or who might or might not be in the cast. Well, I've become a big fan of the Independent Film Channel as well as of TCM. I continue to be amazed at what excellent work can be achieved by people that have limited budgets and no major studio backing. A perfect example: "Grand Theft Parsons," a "road movie" I guess you'd call it, based on fact, about the theft of Gram Parson's corpse by his manager and his attempt to cremate the remains as per the rocker's wishes. What happens along the way is your basic 3-ring circus. It's a hoot! I don't know how else to describe it. Johnny Knoxville, who plays Gram's manager, is outstanding, and someone I'm definitely going to look for in other films. Christina Applegate, who I've heard of by name, but never seen before, is equally good. And a killer soundtrack to boot. If you've seen it, let me know what you think. Any other Indie films you can recommend would also be greatly appreciated. Hope you've all had a great weekend!

As always,

Hollis
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hollis:

Did you ever see "Married With Children?" The infamous Bundy family. There's ten years of Applegate playing the dumbest girl you ever saw. I found the show funny but many hated it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hi Chris,

Sure I've seen it but for some reason never made the association. Guess I wasn't paying enough attention to who the characters were played by. Her role in "Grand Theft..." was certainly a departure. She may have big things ahead of her.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Hey, Hollis. Yeah, I've seen "Grand Theft Parsons" a couple of times on IFC. I love it. Had a friend in college that was a huge Parsons fan, and thought of him while watching.

IFC, I'm not so big on anymore. It used to be wall-to-wall movies, but now they seem to show a lot of the same films over and over, with awards shows, talk shows (Henry Rollins? Ugh!), and general info shows interspersed throughout. A lot of the movies shown now have themes and content that their early commercials used to belittle. They do show good ones, but they seem to be fewer in number every year. I love it when they show oldies. Oh my, I sound like some of those threads at TCM's message boards. :roll:

My favorite film that they've shown has to be "El Abuelo" from 1998. I'm not the biggest fan of foreign films (no, not because of subtitles!), but this one just grabbed me like no other.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Morning Pat,

It's funny how things work sometimes. If a friend of mine hadn't turned me on to the music of Gram Parsons, I would probably have flipped right by the title when I saw it at first. As it turns out, I'm glad I didn't. Late last night, IFC followed it up with another film that two years ago I never would have thought to watch, but having been exposed to movie discussions here and at TCM, I thought I'd give it a shot. Again, I'm glad I did. The movie was called "Bully," a true story (with artistic license taken I'm sure) about a group of teens who plot, and then carry out, the murder of a sexual predator and bully in their midst. Engrossing to say the least. As much as I decry the gratuitous use of foul language, having broken myself of the habit when I came out of the service, here the language seems right in place, especially after having listened to teens in my area speak. It was a powerful little movie and I was amazed at how realistic the acting was. Far better than you'd have thought to expect from a bunch of teenagers. I'm starting to wonder why some of these independent films haven't achieved more acclaim and a wider release. Of course, I don't know by what parameters that decision is made. I'm definitely going to keep an eye out though!

As always,

Hollis

p.s. I know what you mean about Henry Rollins. A wannabe rock star as far as I'm concerned, who really seems to be in love with the sound of his own voice. I'll pass.