Were they the great loves of their lives

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Were they the great loves of their lives

Post by stuart.uk »

There have been may famous romantic couples, but where they the great loves of their lives.

Douglas Fairbanks was married to Mary Pickford and were Hollywood royality, but Mary later married Charles Buddy Rodgers and they remained married until her death 41-yrs later.

Rex Harrison was married to Lili Palmer for several yrs, but after he asked her for a brief divorce and seperation so he could marry the terminally ill Kay Kendall, she told him to forget about getting back together. she was married within a yr, and was with her next husband until her death about 30-yrs later. shortly after her death her husband committed suicide. this was different from Rex, who went from one wife to another.

to be fair Ava Gardner was probably the love of Frank Sinatra's life, but old blue eyes most successful marriage in terms of lasting was to Barbara Marx

i believe to Natalie still is the great love of Robert Wagner's life, but he still appears to love his current wife Jill St John a heck of a lot too

in the case of Mickey Rooney it's a case of 8th time lucky with wife Jan

Anthony Newley is the most famous husband Joan Collins, but the former Dynasty star has been married to husband number 4 for some considerable time now
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I think Doug and Mary, though divorced and remarried, never stopped loving one another.

Weren't some of Doug's last words about Mary? I'm trying to remember the American Masters that PBS did on her a few years back (quite good by the way) and I seem to recall that on his deathbed, Doug spoke of Mary.

Can anyone confirm?

Lombard does seem to have been the love of Gable's live though he did find peace and happiness with his last wife. Kay Williams.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

One couple unlikely to be mentioned would be Jean Gabin & Marlene Dietrich. He wanted a family, and something a bit like a normal life as well as a career as a movie star. Dietrich, well, let's just say the lady knew herself too well to try to go down that road with Gabin, despite her deep love for him. There's a great story told in the documentary by David Riva (her grandson), Marlene Dietrich: Her Own Song (2001). After the liberation of Paris, Gabin, by this time an active member of the Free French forces connected to a tank corps is on parade to celebrate the victory. Dietrich, during one of her USO tours near the front, spots her Jean amid the sea of military humanity on a tank, dives into the crowd and rushes to him, smothering him in kisses, but failing to hide his keen embarrassment. It's tough to be loved, eh?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Interesting question on this my 24th wedding anniversary.

If you talk in terms of both members being famous I would think Joel McCrea and Frances Dee belong. If my math is right they were married 56 years or awfully close to it.

That's love.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

it's quite possible that Doug and Mary continued to love each other after their divorce and that she retained affection for him the rest of her life. however, 41-yrs of marriage to Buddy is difficult to argue with
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Stuart,

I'm not trying to cast aspersions on Mary and Buddy's love for another but I do think she and Doug had a special place in one another's hearts after their divorce.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

i know.

i personally believe that it's possible for a divorced or widowed person to fall in love and remarry, while still feeling love and affection to previous partners
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Happy anniversary, Chris! I think it's not only love that keeps people together, but a lot of ongoing hard work! Here's to you and Mrs. Chris, and may you have many more years together.

Nancy
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

A very Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs. Movieman1957, Chris. Mazel tov & I wish you many more years of happiness together!

One pair who always struck me as true partners were Betty Garrett and Larry Parks, pictured here in Mongo's recent profile of Ms. Garrett. Despite his blacklisting during the McCarthy era, the two stayed together, survived and were married for 30 years until Parks' death. That couldn't have been easy & I hope that it was marked by love and laughter too.

I like the mention of Frances Dee & Joel McCrea. I understand that they separated and nearly divorced a few times over the decades, but found their way back to each other somehow.

One pair who apparently couldn't stay married to one another, but who seemed to be genuinely haunted by one another until the day they died were Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball, (despite respective subsequent stable second marriages).

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I believe Mary never stopped loving Doug. I watched a documentary and it said that Mary often called Buddy Doug and he just laughed it off. I think her love for Buddy was very different than her love for Doug. I don't think there was room for another Doug. I'm sure she loved Buddy too.

Marion Davies and WR Hearst. That's an unusual love story but a love story nonetheless. 35 years until his death. He gave her everything and she repaid him by loving, being loyal and a constant companion until death.

Dick Powell and June Allyson they were a pretty solid couple.

Carole Lombard was the love of Clark's life I'm sure. Not many women compare with Lombard. I think his fifth wife appreciated that.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Many people believe that there was an element of self-service in Norma Shearer's nine year marriage to studio mogul Irving Thalberg, but, after reading an account of her last years by Gavin Lambert in his biography of Shearer, I'm not so sure if it wasn't quite a romantic love.

After Thalberg's death at the young age of 37, she eventually married a younger man who was ski pro, Martin Arrouge, in 1942. They remained married for 41 years. Yet, in one of the saddest chapters of Lambert's book, in Norma's last years, when she was blind and had been confined to the Motion Picture Home, the faithful Arrouge visited her daily, yet in her confusion, she would often call him "Irving" and refer to vivid incidents in the Thalberg family's relatively brief life. When I read that, I thought that it's possible she genuinely loved her first husband and longed for him for the rest of her life. I also felt so sad for her husband Martin.

Though most people know that Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn may have been the love of each other's lives, it's possible that earlier alliances, one with Loretta Young for Mr. Tracy and one with John Ford for Ms. Hepburn may have been very important to both of them too. Young, whose complex love life is pretty familiar to most of us, spoke very fondly and wistfully of Tracy throughout her life and, if you saw the recent John Ford documentary on TCM, you heard the very touching exchange between an ill Ford & a visiting Hepburn. Either way, I always like those people who retain some affection for one another even when things don't always work out.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Victor Sjöström and Edith Erastoff were an incredibly loving couple. They met when Victor Sjöström made one of his first films of note, Terje Vigen. Sjöström later made and acted in The Outlaw and his wife, opposite Edith Erastoff, who was then pregnant with his child. They married some time later, when his divorce had been completed. Apparently, they were always so much in love that Victor commented that they were like a couple of middle-aged teenagers once. When Edith died in 1945 Victor Sjöström never quite recovered.

There's Mack Sennet and Mabel Normand. Mack Sennet apparently never forgot Mabel, even though the two didn't end up together.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

As far as I know Jack Benny and Mary Livingstone had a monogamous relationship, though I realize that aspect doesn't necessarily equate to one having been the love of the other's life.

And then I think George and Gracie genuinely loved one another, though George admitted having fooled around.

-Stephen
melwalton

anniversary

Post by melwalton »

Happy anniversary,. Chris. Hope you have lots more. .... mel
melwalton

true love

Post by melwalton »

There's the case of Virginia Bruce. She married a turk and after five years divorced him in order to aid his military career then married him again, Sadly, they were divorced later, I don't have more details (neither does IMDB ) maybe someone knows the whole story. .... mel