Maureen, do you prefer her damsel or action heroine

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Maureen, do you prefer her damsel or action heroine

Post by stuart.uk »

Maureen O'Hara did many swashbucklers and westerns. playing both the damsel rescued by the hero or a girl who could take care of herself.

in The Black Swan and The Spanish Main she is the decretive leading lady for Tyrone Power and Paul Heindred, but as a Musketeer's daughter in Swords Point, Against Al Flags and Camanche Teritory she plays woman who could handle herself with a sword, gun or fists and was a big help to Cornel Wilde Errol Flynn and Macdonald Carey as they sorted out the bad guys

though she didn't appear tomboyish in McLintock, the scene where she ran through town in her underwear, she showed herself to be a great athlete, doing at least three breathtaking stunts

i prefer the tough Maureen who could handle herself in a brawl, which i believe she was able to do in real life
Last edited by stuart.uk on April 29th, 2008, 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I prefer the strong self confident Maureen. Whether she's in a sword fight or giving John Wayne a load of grief she's more fun and better.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

It was the equally gorgeous, but brunette, Linda Darnell who starred in Zorro opposite Ty Power . I liked Maureen in either type of role, which brings me too Moira referring to Susan Hayward ( in reference to Rawhide & other Ms Hayward films ) and her lack of humor,IMHO that is one of the reason that Maureen & Linda are much higher on my likeability lists is becuase the the humor that both women exhibit in their films.

Maureen details the beating that she endured during her marraige to Will Price, in her autobiography Tis Herself. I believe that Linda went throught the same sufferings during her marraiges. :wink:
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I've never seen Maureen as too much in distress - her HUNCHBACK performance and all others gave me the impression she would deliver a good right-cross if backed to a wall. And in interviews, I had a feeling that some young pups were close to getting her infamous swat if they asked the wrong question.