Edward Woodward as an Elderly Gangland Boss

stuart.uk

Edward Woodward as an Elderly Gangland Boss

Post by stuart.uk »

Sean Connery is now retired and probably feels he's now to old to play characters associated with his image.

in contrast i was interested to see a mid 70s Edward Woodward as a old man, who was once a gangland boss in the UK cop show The Bill. he used a walking stick to get about, but wasn't afraid to stand up for himself.

it was a three generation show with Edward's son Timothy and his grandson also in the show playing as it happens the old gang boss' son and grandson. the plot revolved round the plot that the son was encouraging his nephew to get involved with drugs, something the grandfather never did when he was in charge. however, the grandson is murdered and the grandfather was determined to find out who it was. in a twist Edward's character suffered bouts of senility and in that state it was he who killed his grandson. Edward's love interest was played by Ann Mitchell. before she wrote Prime Suspect writer Lynda La Plante wrote an acclaimed novel Widows, a story about lady bank robbers. Ann Mitchell played the gangs boss Dolly Rawlins, both in this and its sequel She's Out, so this episode of The Bill had a strong cast.

maybe Sean Connery wouldn't like to be seen playing such a role, but Edward, who played two secret agents Callan and Robert McColl in his prime, seems happy to be seen as an old man.
Last edited by stuart.uk on April 22nd, 2008, 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Stuart, have you caught the new (this past year) movie Hot Fuzz?
For once, here's a flick that's actually far and away FUNNIER than its ads ever claimed it to be!!
Anyway, among its amazing ensemble of comic cameo performers that weave in merry madness throughout the lark of a plot, is our beloved Edward Woodward, as a conniving old codger running the small town's nest of rural conspirators.
To quote those Guinness chaps: B R I L L I A N T
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by klondike on April 21st, 2008, 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Seemingly the producer of The Equalizer wanted Edward Woodward for the role, because he'd seen him in Callan and knew he had the menace to play Robert McColl. however, because Callan, a tv series and feature film, wasn't known in America, the producer had a heck of a job trying to persuade the U.S networks he could do the role, because they'd never heard of him
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

I didn't see much of Callan, though what I did see was very impressive. I devoured The Equaliser though. Though I haven't seen it in decades, I remember Woodward as perfect in that role with Keith Sarabajka (sp?) equally effective. And then I picked up an LP of Woodward singing and things were never quite the same again.

Woodward was also one of the longest and dumbest (but fun) joke strings I've ever come across. You'll have to say these out loud to get the best effect, and even better with an English accent.

What do you call a man with a tree on his head?
Edward.

What do you call a man with three trees on his head?
Edward Woodward.

What do you call a man with four trees on his head?
Dunno. But Edward Woodward would.

What do you call a man with four trees on his head and a wooden leg?
Dunno either. But Edward Woodward would, wouldn't he?

Sorry.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I see the film version of Callan can be seen on You Tube if you have the patience to click on the many parts