Personal traits and idiosyncracies

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Roger Moore's raising of an eyebrow.

The Chaplin shuffle, wiggling his stick.

James Stewart's stuttering. it's said he discovered that by accident. he was only trying to remember his lines.

John Wayne never cried, but compensated with his eyes when hit by a death of a loved one. examples of this are the death of Martha in The Searchers, his son's death in Wings Of A Eagle and when he killed a boxer in the ring in The Quiet Man

Wayne and Monty Clift scratched their noses in Red River, but the gesture though effective was never repeated.

Striesand's one liners out of the corner of her mouth

Carry-On star Barbara Windsor walked bandy legged, at least she did at the begining of her Eastenders stint in the 1990s, wearing shortish skirts. now 70 she usually on the show wears pants

talking of Carry-Ons, Sid James' dirty laugh, which didn't mean he was a nice guy or a fine actor.
The Ingenue

Post by The Ingenue »

MissGoddess wrote:I mentioned the way Cary Grant plunges his hands into his pockets when he'sill at ease in a scene but I should include Frank Sinatra as well. Both actors do it quite often and I think it's the cutest thing.
Hmmm, I'll have to watch for that this week. I don't recall a particular instance.
MissGoddess wrote:Frank also acquired a "Bogie-ism". It is something you'll see many actors and even actresses do back in the days of unfiltered cigarettes: they take a puff from their ciggie then put a hand to their mouth to remove a tobacco fleck. Bogie made it a habit and I noticed Frank picked up on it.
I remember Marlene Dietrich doing that in Destry Rides Again; and John Garfield made a point of it when Faye Emerson removed the tobacco flecks from her lips in Between Two Worlds.
Last edited by The Ingenue on May 26th, 2008, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

INGRID BERGMAN is the most incandescent and luminous actress I've ever seen. There's something I've noticed her doing. Sometimes, when she kisses her co-star, she'll gently touch or stroke his face (chin) with the back of her hand. It felt like it was very intimate gesture. It must've felt electric to the guy. It was to me and I was just sitting in the audience.

Just check her out with Cary Grant in their big kissing scene in Hitchcock's "Notorious." See...see. What'd I tell ya?
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Noticed today watching all those Robert Montgomery films--Norma Shearer had a habit (at least in her Divorcee phase) of putting one hand on her hip and crossing her other arm across her stomach and resting her hand on the hand on her hip.

Deitrich, especially in her von Sternberg films, would flick her eyes up and down or left and right while speaking
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde