Is it possible to...?

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Man, I thought she was gettin' paid to keep us "boys" in line!!

Don't make me come up that tree, Mister....

There's not enough money in cyberspace for me to try and keep you guys in line....

Sorry we hijacked your thread, Hollis. Alright, boys.... MEL, CHRIS, KLONNIE....SNAP TO.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
melwalton

in line

Post by melwalton »

Something went over my head. I missed that bit about keeping in line. As for me, Time took care of that a good while back.
Wonder if we get to go round again. Probably not. Oh, well .... mel
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm joining the club too, very rarely do I look for messages and they have to be driven home with a sledgehammer for me to get them :lol: Sometimes movies have been made about important and historic topics and do carry messages. Movies have been used for propaganda. There are numerous instances of things being read into movies that aren't there. Hitchcock is a good example.

I have trouble keeping up with movies at the best of times, I'm either constantly interrupted (kids, cats, husband) or there are too many characters. This gets especially bad if it's a foreign movie or I'm not fimiliar with the actors in the film. It's not surprising I have trouble my mother has never been able to follow an episode of Colombo :lol:

My favorite movies and literature tend to be the ones were it's down to personal interpretation.

In City Lights, what happens to the Tramp and the Girl? I like to think she loves him for all he has done for her, that she sees how kind and how much he loves her.

It's only one example but the interpretation, the movies ending is down to the viewer. I love that in a movie :D .
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
melwalton

movie endings

Post by melwalton »

Hey Charlie
Inre odd endings: Did you see 'Too Many Husbands' with Fred MacMurray and Jean Arthur? They'll never top that one, it was a lulu.
I thought it the best ending for that movie that anyone could think up. It saved an otherwise dull movie. .... mel
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

One other thing I meant to say was that often a movie is like a good book which has been chosen for a book club. Have 6 or 7 different people read a book and you will have 6 or 7 opinions on what the author was saying. When Rhett told Scarlett, "My dear, I don't give a dam", a romantic might say 'he's just teaching her one more lesson, he'll be back', but a realist might say 'finally Rhett, enough is enough, now stick to it boy!' Personally I think he'll be back, but another person may feel he's been through so much and his feelings have been bandied about, besides the fact that he has other people waiting to give him true love and support, etc., etc., etc. And I love to hear (or read) those analyses), often they put forth ideas that had not occurred to me and I want to see, or read again to find out if I can 'get' that impression. Also we believe John Ford used certain things to make us think about his movies. Granted he used the same music for different movies. We know this because the narrator told us during the Ford documentary, but did John Ford ever tell us? Is he on film saying why he used certain music? Maybe he was just too lazy to look for something else and told the music director to repeat. This is no disrespect to Mr. Ford, it's imply more analyzing. See what I mean?

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

I never saw Too Many Husbands but anything with Jean Arthur in is on my list.

I nearly used GWTW as my example of an ending that could be interpreted differently by different people. Personally I think he goes away to make her learn her lesson, I think he perhaps has a shot at happiness with someone else, Scarlett will go to Ashley but only in friendship and she will plan to get Rhett back, in my mind she succeeds.

It's part of the fun of a board like this that someone might review a film that I've seen but I haven't seen it in the same light and I will go back and watch it again.

I think it's says something about ourselves too, I must be an incurable romantic I suppose, I like the happy ending, Charlie will end up with the girl and Scarlett will get Rhett back, I just know in my mind the ending is happy. I also like films were the lovers don't end up together, Casablanca, Brief Encounter (hope that hasn't spoiled it for anyone :wink: ) because I then think it's better to have loved well than to never have loved at all.

I also like the way some films make you doubt what you've seen, although films like Mulholland Drive just go to far for me, I can even begin to make sense of the story and because it is so frustrating it takes away from the beauty of the film.

As far as reviewing films on the site go, I get terribly frustrated sometimes when I can't say exactly what I mean when everyone else expresses themselves perfectly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

charliechaplinfan wrote: As far as reviewing films on the site go, I get terribly frustrated sometimes when I can't say exactly what I mean when everyone else expresses themselves perfectly.
Seems to me, Alison, you have a great gift for sharing your thoughts and feelings! You have given me a desire to see films I otherwise would have passed by, and made me aware of some that I've never heard of.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Thank you :D I know I'm my harshest critic.