True or False? Just a theory...

Chit-chat, current events
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

ChiO said: "For period music and future stars (or, almost-stars), I'll go with DINER."

I love DINER, too! For an encore I might suggest Scorsese's MEAN STREETS which features The Ronettes' "Be My Baby", The Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Tell Me", the Miracles' "Mickey's Monkey," the Chips' "Rubber Biscuit" and tons more. Oh yes, and Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Dewey1960 wrote: I might suggest Scorsese's MEAN STREETS which features The Ronettes' "Be My Baby", The Stones' "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Tell Me", the Miracles' "Mickey's Monkey," the Chips' "Rubber Biscuit" and tons more. Oh yes, and Robert DeNiro and Harvey Keitel.
Mean Streets (1973) is a great example of how modern pop tunes can work perfectly within a film context. Killer of Sheep (1977) is another fine choice.

Personally, I usually like dedicated scores, but if a film speaks to me, it doesn't matter if it contains rap or classical. A great film is one where all the elements work together to create an unforgettable experience. In the right context--anything goes--even the absence of sound.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

You are right about Scorsese, he is another who uses contemporary tunes to great effect. Layla and Can’t You Hear Me Knocking in Goodfellas comes to mind.

I forgot about Diner. Brilliant film. Brilliant soundtrack.
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

At least The Big Chill made Marvin Gaye's "Grapevine" the song of an entire generation.

The opening scene of that movie is one of my favorites ever, too bad I can't say the same for the rest of the movie.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Bogie, did you know the "Body" was Kevin Costner? His first (I believe) film, and you never saw his face.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Wow, I struck a lot of chords on that one without intending to. Actually Johnm, I agree with you, I much prefer a written orchestral score to recorded music as a movie background. In fact I recently posted something about recorded music instead of a score. Many people agree that The Big Chill was not a good movie, but that's a choice. However, the group often had the radio on and songs opened conversations, and gave reminders of happier times.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The few times I see modern movies I usually like to listen to the end credits music. No interruptions, no dialogue, no sound effects. Pure music.

With the way they run credits you're going to get 6 to 8 minutes worth of music. It helps if it were John Barry or Elmer Bernstein.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

knitwit45 wrote:Bogie, did you know the "Body" was Kevin Costner? His first (I believe) film, and you never saw his face.
I didn't know that!

"puts it in his "font of useless info" file"
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Bryce said:
I'll save my spiel about The Big Chill. Instead, the single damning snipe in High Fidelity speaks volumes about that film and its so-called "importance" to a generation. It is the definition of cheap and easy.

How could I forget my neighborhood movie, HIGH FIDELITY?

As for THE BIG CHILL, a movie supposedly about and for my generation, my favorite review was by a friend who said: I liked John Sayles' original alot more -- THE RETURN OF THE SECAUCUS 7.

The only movies that either draw me into a theatre or keep me out because of the music are...musicals.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Does Rock ‘n Roll High School count in this thread for great contemporary soundtracks? (l suppose it could be considered a musical.)

Dazed and Confused. Another great soundtrack to a great movie.

I rather liked Juno and Crash was okay (I assume you are not referring to the Cronenberg film, which was quite good).
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I think ROCK & ROLL HIGH SCHOOL and DAZED & CONFUSED both qualify (big time!) as exceptional examples of films utilizing music to drive along their visual and thematic ideas. A few of others I would include are Philip Kaufman's THE WANDERERS (1979), ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS (1986), Julien Temple's dazzling musical adaptation of Colin MacInnes' late 50s novel about the birth of rock & roll in London (It's one of the most visually brilliant films of the 80s and if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. In fact, it's airing on TCM next weekend, I think) and AMERICAN HOT WAX (1978), Floyd Mutrux' evocative reimagining of the life and career of...Alan Freed. Here, compliments of YouTube are some scenes. Needless to say, it's one of my all time favorite films.
[youtube][/youtube]
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

I loved "Rock & Roll High School" (though I hated the Ramones), but I never saw any visual or thematic ideas in it other than PJ Soles jiggling across the screen. :D
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Mr. O'B said: "but I never saw any visual or thematic ideas in it other than PJ Soles jiggling across the screen."
Right. That's what I meant.

And, hey, nobody hates the Ramones! Nobody!