RIP- Tim Russert has died

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Lzcutter
Administrator

RIP- Tim Russert has died

Post by Lzcutter »

Political journalist Tim Russert, host of Meet the Press among his many credientials, has died this afternoon.

The NYTimes is reporting that Russert suffered a major heart attack while in the Washington Bureau recording booth.

He had just returned from a family trip to Italy. His wife and son are still in Italy.

Russert, in addition to his Meet the Press duties, has been providing political commentary throughout the primary season on MSNBC.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Bogie

Post by Bogie »

I'm at a loss for words. I really enjoyed his work :(

R.I.P.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Bogie,

I am stunned too. I have really enjoyed his insight this primary season and I am having a hard time imagining the rest of the general election without his input.

From what I understand, Brian Williams broke down on the air when he heard the news.

Russert was a mentor to many of the tv news journalists, especially Brian Williams and Andrea Mitchell.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

This is too heartbreaking for his family and, I suspect, his measured, warm presence will be missed by the country as well. Having met him when he worked for Sen. Moynihan I can attest to his fine mind, wit, his gentle good manners, and relish for all of life, especially politics (and baseball). He was one of those people who reminded you that politics and journalism were not dirty words, but vital to our nation's life. God rest his soul.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

I've always loved Tim Russert. I stopped watching MSNBC months ago because of all the blowhards there, but I always made time for "Meet the Press" and "The Tim Russert Show". Classy guy, always fair.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

He worked out of the DC location and thus with a great many people in the local news department. To them he wasn't a network bigshot he was a down-to-earth guy.

In the ultimate irony he was interviewed on one of our local Baltimore stations for his weekly plug of "Meet The Press." Hearing the interview he couldn't have been more upbeat. Laughing and joking with the host he was having a great time. Couldn't have sounded better. Little did anyone know.

Some kind of embolism from undetectable heart disease. His doctor said he could have taken a stress test at 7:00am it would have been as good as the the one he had in April.

So sad.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."