childhood films

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It was me who hasn't seen any Shirley Temple movies. I'll look out for some.

Isn't Dick Van Dyke's Caraticus Potts the perfect father in the perfect world. It's part of what makes the movie so perfect.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Alison, I know I'm prejudiced, but please try and find "Heidi". It is such a good movie, and your kids will enjoy it as well. Another one that I like is "The Little Princess". It seemed like in all her movies, she was terribly put upon, and always had a smile and a song. I know it's syrupy today, but to the Depression Era audiences, it was like a ray of sunshine.

And I remember I wanted to BE Mrs. C. Potts :oops: :oops:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Even as a child I was a movie addict (Gigi was my first movie in a theatre). I'm of the generation that was captivated by the yearly playing of The Wizard of Oz, and was especially thrilled upon my fourth (or so) viewing to discover the horse of a different color really was. We'd only had black and white televisions before then.

When I was very small, I enjoyed Shirley Temple movies. Little Miss Marker was my first favorite, and a year or two later Wee Willie Winkie trumped Marker.

I looked forward to the Children's Film Festival on television each week. It was hosted by Kukla, Fran and Ollie and my favorite movie was Hand in Hand, the short film about a catholic boy and a jewish girl who befriend each other. Somehow it struck a chord, as did a theatrical viewing the A Boy Ten Feet Tall that my father took me to see. I haven't seen them since and would like to see both again as an adult.

Somehow I couldn't get enough of some of the Disney movies like The Moonspinners, Summer Magic and Thomasina. I was dazzled by Hayley Mills.
charliechaplinfan

knitwit45 wrote:Alison, I know I'm prejudiced, but please try and find "Heidi". It is such a good movie, and your kids will enjoy it as well. Another one that I like is "The Little Princess". It seemed like in all her movies, she was terribly put upon, and always had a smile and a song. I know it's syrupy today, but to the Depression Era audiences, it was like a ray of sunshine.

And I remember I wanted to BE Mrs. C. Potts :oops: :oops:
I just saw your reply. I don't blame you for wanting to be Mrs C Potts. Is it Caraticus or is it Dick Van Dyke that's special. I know Chitty Chitty Bang Bang the stage show was on in Manchester two years ago, my daughter was too young to go then, tickets were too expensive to take a chance on a three year old sitting through a couple of hours. I just couldn't imagine anyone else playing Caraticus, because the film was so much part of my childhood. It's almost like replacing my own father.

Moraldo, I've heard lots of men say the same about Hayley Mills. Have you seen Whistle Down the Wind and The Family Way.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Moraldo, I've heard lots of men say the same about Hayley Mills. Have you seen Whistle Down the Wind and The Family Way.
Whistle doesn't even ring a bell. The Family Way rings the bell of being forbidden to go see it when it came out, as it was too adult! Hence, I never did see it. Should I be seeking them out now? My dazzled reaction to Miss Mills has dampened over the years and has been replaced with fond nostalgia. I was delighted to see her cameo in the new Parent Trap movie, but haven't sought out her work in general lately.
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Hey, Marco! Didn't know you were still around! Did you finally see "Little Nellie Kelly" the other day? I loved it. Sorry to disrupt the thread.

Pat
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Mr. O'Brady wrote:Hey, Marco! Didn't know you were still around! Did you finally see "Little Nellie Kelly" the other day? I loved it. Sorry to disrupt the thread.
No! I screamed when I discovered it was going to be on; and I believe Listen Darling was also shown. Two of my Garland voids missed again! Hopefully, one day they'll have an Early Garland DVD set. And to bring this back to topic, I'm sure I would have loved these movies as a child. There was so much juvenile talent at MGM in the late 1930's!

[Good to see you Pat. I almost didn't recognize you; what with you donning that new handle.]
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

No! I screamed when I discovered it was going to be on...
Ouch! Sorry, Marco. I didn't even record it, as I was home at the time, so I can't offer you anything but sympathy. Maybe they'll show it in October?
I'm sure I would have loved these movies as a child.
I could never claim that, but I sure did enjoy it as an old man.
I almost didn't recognize you; what with you donning that new handle.
Yeah, well, patful died that slow, agonizing death so eloquently wished for on the TCM Boards ... :D
charliechaplinfan

Moraldo, here's a synopsis on the Hayley Mills movies.

The Family Way is a film that Hayley made when she was 22. John Mills plays her father in law. She marries Hywel Bennett and moves into her in laws house. The in laws are a little nosey and the couple find they can't consummate their marriage due to the husband's shyness, Hayley gets more frustrated and the family, neighbours are intrigued as to why she isn't pregnant, soon everyone is offering their opinion and to how to conceive. It's set in a Northern English town so it has a touch of the kitchen sink drama but it's mostly a comedy. I'm sure it was considered naughty in it's time.

Whistle Down The Wind was written by Hayley Mills mother ostensabily to give Hayley the best role. It's one of the sweetest films ever made.

Hayley is the oldest child of a widowed father she has a younger sister and brother. They live on a farm and play in the barn where they hide their kittens away from their disapproving father. Then one day they have a visitor hiding in the barn, Alan Bates in one of his earliest roles plays a convict who has escaped. He is injured and a little delirious. he wakes in the barn to find Hayley staring at him, she asks him who he is, still dazed he says 'Jesus Christ' It's hard to convey the scene but Hayley believes it's Jesus and he's come to her barn. He looks like Jesus, soon all the neighbourhood children know about Jesus in the barn but the adults are completely oblivious to this secret amongst the children, despite food being stolen to feed the convict. The spell is only broken by Hayley's youngest brother who stops believing because his kitten dies whilst he's in the convicts care. So he spills the beans without meaning to to the adults.

It's such an innocent movie made in more innocent time. Typing it out, it seems unbelievable but it's not, it's very sweet.
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

charliechaplinfan wrote:...Whistle Down The Wind was written by Hayley Mills mother ostensabily to give Hayley the best role. It's one of the sweetest films ever made.

Hayley is the oldest child of a widowed father she has a younger sister and brother. They live on a farm and play in the barn where they hide their kittens away from their disapproving father. Then one day they have a visitor hiding in the barn, Alan Bates in one of his earliest roles plays a convict who has escaped. He is injured and a little delirious. he wakes in the barn to find Hayley staring at him, she asks him who he is, still dazed he says 'Jesus Christ' It's hard to convey the scene but Hayley believes it's Jesus and he's come to her barn. He looks like Jesus, soon all the neighbourhood children know about Jesus in the barn but the adults are completely oblivious to this secret amongst the children, despite food being stolen to feed the convict. The spell is only broken by Hayley's youngest brother who stops believing because his kitten dies whilst he's in the convicts care. So he spills the beans without meaning to to the adults.
Thank you for the descriptions. The second one rang a new bell, as I believe there was once a discussion about this movie over on the TCM board once. I'll keep an eye for these. Thanks again!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I recently saw Paddle to the Sea (1966) for the first time since I was a kid. This great little film about a hand-carved Indian/canoe toy making it's way through the North American Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean, is beautifully shot and amazing to behold.

You can watch the whole film right here (it's only 27 min. long)

Part1
[youtube][/youtube]

Part2
[youtube][/youtube]

Part3
[youtube][/youtube]