Fort Apache

stuart.uk

Fort Apache

Post by stuart.uk »

A great western and IMO better than Ford's other army pictures She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande.

It's almost like Wayne and Fonda were cast against type, Duke as the liberal Captain Kirby York and Hank as right wing Colonel in Command of Fort Apache Owen Thursday.

One of the disturbing aspects of the film were soldiers like Ward Bond, and Victor McGlaglen willing to go into battle, even though they knew their bigoted Commanding Officer was gulity of a moral and tatical blunder, as he led them into battle with the Apaches, who had come to talk peace, but were prepared to fight. It reminds me of the saying, 'It's not up to you to make policey, but to carry it out.' I was also wondering if Wayne's York should have covered up Thursday's blunder, making him out to be a hero.

It's a great film for the ladies. Shirley Temple, who IMO fared better than Joanne Dru in SWAYR, gave IMO her best adult performance as Fonda's daughter Phil. Her character was impressive in that she wasn't to be swayed by her bigoted father in her choice of husband Michael O'Rourke, played by John Agar, who though an Officer, was also the son of the Master Sargeant Ward Bond. I think I'm also right in saying it's the only film where Shirley plays a mother.

Anna Lee was also impressive as Mrs. Collingwood, wife of one of the Fort's Captains. She proved How Green Was My Valley, 7 yrs before, wasn't a fluke. I still can't believe Ford insisted in putting her in small roles in most of their films together. I wouldn't mind seeing her in Gideon's Day just to see if she had a noteable role when she played Jack Hawkins wife.
Last edited by stuart.uk on July 7th, 2008, 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Stuart:

I've seen "Gideon of Scotland Yard" as TCM showed it. There wasn't a whole lot to that part either. In fact I didn't find it much of a film. It was an awfully long day.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I have a very hard time enjoying too much of FORT APACHE because of Henry Fonda's horrid character. Not that this tale could tolerate any change or softening - like most stories with a Bad Guy in it, Fonda's character is esssential.

I just hate him. That's all.

This film DOES have one of my favorite of all time scenes, where Victor McLaglen & Calvarymen are in the Indian Agent's shed, and thev've "a man's work to do" as they've been ordered to 'destroy that Scripture' white lightning.

Maybe only Margaret Rutherford and Victor McLaglen could get those fleshy faces to say SO MUCH with a single camera shot.