Venus wins and so does British girl Laura

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Venus wins and so does British girl Laura

Post by stuart.uk »

I've just watched Wimbledon and seen Venus Williams beat sister Serena over two sets. Comentators John McCenroe and Tracy Austin suggested it was the best match between the two sisters on a grass surface. Serena got of to a flier and looked like she was going to steamroller over Venus, but the older sister got into her game and took the first set, having twice broken her opponents serve, having lost her's once. The second set was a close fought contest, each breaking each others serve, but at the buisness end of the set Venus won the match

Once that match was finished the BBC went straight across to court N0 1, to watch the final of the girls championship. It was unusual for both the Beeb and Wimbledon, putting it on a show court, to make so much fuss of it, but then a 14-year-old Brit called Laura Robson was involved. After seeing Andy Murray knocked out of the quarters and his brother knocked out of the Mixed semis, Laura was Britain's last chance of a winner. Unseeded Laura won in 3 sets to become the first British winner of the event in 24-yrs after Annabel Croft won, recieving the trophy from 1969 winner of the ladies singles Ann Jones. It's expected Laura get a wild card into the seniors event next yr and when asked about facing Venus the level headed young lady, her tounge firmly in her cheek Joked 'I'm going to take her down.'

Congratulations to both girls, Venus and Laura!
mickeeteeze

wimbledon

Post by mickeeteeze »

Nadal-Federer was the best match I've ever seen, anywhere.
:)
You are wise in your generation!
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

It'll be hard to top that's for sure.