Hello from a train somewhere in central Texas

Chit-chat, current events
bryce

Hello from a train somewhere in central Texas

Post by bryce »

Just thought I'd pop in and say "hi." Heading to Austin to catch the Night Marchers - cousins to Rocket from the Crypt, the band my wife and I met at - play at the Emo's birthday bash. Figured it would be fairly novel to post from my laptop via my phone to a forum!

I also wanted to warn anyone against ever taking Amtrak anywhere. This is my first - and probably ONLY - time I will ever make the mistake of traveling on this god-awful useless government subsidy. The train was FIVE HOURS LATE, has traveled at less than 45 miles an hour the entire trip, frequently gets stuck behind slow freight trains, makes frequent stops for seemingly no reason and is populated with the same bunch of (Greyhound riding) maniacs that I was trying to get away from. Its only saving grace is the fact that I can get up and walk to various cars and there is more than enough legroom, but 1) the staff are INCREDIBLY RUDE and USELESS and 2) it is freezing bloody cold on every car.

Oh, my sanity.

Bryce
Mr. Arkadin

Re: Hello from a train somewhere in central Texas

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

bryce wrote:I also wanted to warn anyone against ever taking Amtrak anywhere. This is my first - and probably ONLY - time I will ever make the mistake of traveling on this god-awful useless government subsidy. The train was FIVE HOURS LATE, has traveled at less than 45 miles an hour the entire trip, frequently gets stuck behind slow freight trains, makes frequent stops for seemingly no reason and is populated with the same bunch of (Greyhound riding) maniacs that I was trying to get away from. Its only saving grace is the fact that I can get up and walk to various cars and there is more than enough legroom, but 1) the staff are INCREDIBLY RUDE and USELESS and 2) it is freezing bloody cold on every car.
I coulda told ya that! :wink:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hello Bryce,

You should have taken the Japanese bullet train. Modern, sleek and clean and the staff are all polite and efficient.

Really, I'm serious!! Just think, even if you'd gone to Japan, you'd have been at your destination hours ago!!!

In the meantime, scream therapy helps....

larry
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey, Bryce!
Hope travel conditions improve for you; our local Amtrak (Boston - Montreal, & back again, twice per day) gets extremely high marks for punctuality and passenger comfort & treatment, and I seem to recall that Amtrak service in & around Seattle and Tacoma was largely dependable by the clock, and generally well-respected.
I'd guess the majority of your current transit woes have to do with regional Southwestern issues, perhaps aggravated recently by the Hurricane Ike emergencies.
But whatever the reasons, hope your trip gets better; be safe!
bryce

Post by bryce »

Believe me, I'd love to ride a bullet train one day! It bothers me so much that we've thrown by the wayside a technology we basically pioneered. Such is the American way, eh? One day I hope to ride the amazing French and Japanese speedtrains!

Thanks for the tip on the northern trains, klondike. I'm glad to hear that! It might just be the South in general, as when riding the bus on the west coast or up north they are generally cleaner and filled with better people. I don't want that to sound condescending, but... At least in the lounge we sat next to a guy and started talking and I'm fairly sure we've found our gig poster designer and new music swap buddy. I guess good things DO come out of bad situations. :)

We got in at 11:30pm. About four hours overdue. It makes me sad as I wanted to get in early to show my wife how much fun Austin can be, and now our two-day trip is really only now a one-day trip, but! We'll make the most out of it. Sixth St was more hopping than I've ever seen it, probably a dozen live bands playing spread out amongst the clubs and a lot of people having a good time. It really lifted my spirits. Plus, the Austin Drafthouse Cinema crowd had just gotten out of seeing a showing of Burn After Reading and people were talking and laughing and it makes me want to catch it all the more!

Think there'll be any classics on the hotel tv? Nah, me neither! Can't wait to pop into my favorite movie shop ever, run by a guy who looks like an aged Frank Zappa and spends his days watching foreign films, Spaghetti westerns and horror flicks sippin' Shiner...

Bryce
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Sorry to hear that your trip on the train was so uncomfortable, Bryce.

Having taken a train from Boston to Charleston within the last year, I can tell you that the quality of that Amtrak route was exemplary. The people who ran the train were friendly and helpful. The only time I was a bit uncomfortable was when a woman and three kids under age 5 were along for the ride. Solution: Go to the club car for an adult beverage or two until the tykes settled down and slept.

I think the quality of the ride varies a lot from state to state. Within NYS there are major track problems along the northern upstate corridor, but there is no ride I could have had similar to the one I had recently from Albany to NYC along the splendid Hudson River Valley, complete with views of farms and estates dating back to the days of the Dutch colonists and an impressive view of the water approach to West Point that made the logic of Benedict Arnold's planned seizure of that fortress much more real.

I'd love to see the train system upgrade become a real priority all over the country.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Bryce. sorry you've had such a bad experience. I traveled from KC to LA on the Santa Fe Chief, then caught the Coast Starlight(I think that's the name of the train) to San Francisco. When I returned, I took the Empire Builder thru the Sierra Nevada, Wasatch and Rockie mountains. What an enjoyable trip. Being on three different lines, I had 3 different kinds of staff. Rather rude from KC to La, but they eventually warmed up. Laid back staff on the Coast Starlight, with some of the most incredible views of the Pacific. We were the last thing before water in places. The staff on the Empire Builder were friendly and extremely helpful. It didn't hurt that all those glorious mountains were right out the window, either. At one point in the Rockies, because the tracks wound so tightly thru the curves, you could see 3 tunnels coming up.

At least Austin was there waiting to receive you!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
bryce

Post by bryce »

Good morning everyone.

Seems I started my own thread off on the wrong foot! Amtrak's evils are long forgotten now after a good night's sleep and a delicious breakfast. I suppose staying free at a three star hotel (thanks mum for letting us use your rewards points!) will lift your spirits!

I hope to post pictures later and, while not nearly as exciting as the fun (and foreign) or exciting trips many of our friends here take, Austin might just be the only city that could compete with Chicago for my desire of a new home. Pure "Texas weird" and the biggest, goofiest little city in the country. Once you peel back the layers off pretension that being the "live music capital of the world" brings you'll find a city that could charm paint off walls with its eccentric record shops, movie shops, brewhouses and bike shops. Nowhere else in the world can you walk down one strip and find a blues bar next to a hip hop joint, a rat bar with old Zundapps and Indian Chiefs out front next to a Weekend Warriors sacred haunt, rasta zion and all that entails next to a police station (!!!), brewhouse/movie theater combo sandwiched between two pizza shops, one of which is a "death metal" joint with loud satanic music blaring and black lights the only source of illumination. Plus, just down the road from downtown, you have one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country, and farther down the road from that, one of the best campgrounds and lakes in the entire region.

I love this town. Just don't love the people. What a great place to visit, though! The best part is that all the conflicting cultures and tastes and all of the entertainment aimed at various groups and ages don't actually conflict with one another. All are happy to co-exist and peacefully ignore and intermingle with one another as they see fit. Where else does that happen but Austin?

Bryce
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Really sad to hear that your train journey was so long and unconfortable. :(
In France, we are very lucky with our fast trains, I realise that! I take the train very often to go everywhere. You can go from Paris to Marseille (about 900 km) in only 3h! London is only 2h15min away by Eurostar. 8)

I took the Japanese Shinkansen once from Tokyo to Kyoto: a great experience as well! :)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

bryce wrote: Once you peel back the layers off pretension that being the "live music capital of the world" brings you'll find a city that could charm paint off walls with its eccentric record shops, movie shops, brewhouses and bike shops. Nowhere else in the world can you walk down one strip and find a blues bar next to a hip hop joint, a rat bar with old Zundapps and Indian Chiefs out front next to a Weekend Warriors sacred haunt, rasta zion and all that entails next to a police station (!!!), brewhouse/movie theater combo sandwiched between two pizza shops, one of which is a "death metal" joint with loud satanic music blaring and black lights the only source of illumination. Plus, just down the road from downtown, you have one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country, and farther down the road from that, one of the best campgrounds and lakes in the entire region.
You forgot about all those panhandlers on every corner.
I love this town. Just don't love the people.
Hmm, maybe you did remember them after all! :P

Seriously though, the Amtrak in TX is just horrible. I had a friend who took a trip on one. Ran hours behind and finally broke down. Everyone eventually got put on a bus. One thing that some people might not understand about TX is the fact that we don't really use public transport here because places are so far apart from each other (You can drive for three days here and still be in the state!) and are not accessible unless you have a car or other personal vehicle. It's nothing like NYC or Chicago.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hello Bryce,

By all means do whatever you have to to avoid riding Amtrak's "Palmetto" through the NE corridor and into the Carolinas en route to The Sunshine State. Once you've left Virginia, a couple of 2x4's and a rusted piece of corrugated tin qualifies as a train station and you're guaranteed to stop once every 5 minutes or so to accomodate someone that lives right in the middle of nowhere. Combine that with a warm, early summer's day and a less than cooperative a/c system and you're in for one of the longest rides of your life! The French got it right with the TGV at 253 mph! A little more than 3 hours from Paris to Geneva topped off with a gourmet meal and glass of wine! That's traveling in style, like the Concorde but with its wheels on the ground!

As always,

Hollis