Watch out for the housekeeping.

Chit-chat, current events
bryce

Watch out for the housekeeping.

Post by bryce »

Apparently they not only like to clean up the rooms, they also like to "clean up" the bank accounts of any debit/credit cards left behind. They do a mighty fine job of it, too, considering the thirty minute window they had to get in, clone the cards, and get out.

Thanks, Hampton Inn, for hiring absolute scum, paying them pennies because they're illegal, and then not bothering to care when they commit fraud.

Sorry for the vent. I figure most of you are seasoned travelers, but let my mistake serve as a warning that even five minutes alone with your wallet can lead to identity fraud. All they have to do is swipe it in a scanner bought over the internet and they have all the information they need to make a perfect copy of your credit card. If you have a credit card with an RFID "smart chip," they can scan the card's info from ten feet away, even in your wallet, and you'll never know. Watch out, as the banks and government don't care to protect us from theft, either.

Bryce
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope they've not made too much trouble for you Bryce. I hope you get it sorted out pretty quickly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Metry_Road

Post by Metry_Road »

Dear Bryce. I think you are suffering from a case of pre-election malaise exacerbated by the current financial crisis.

My advice to you – if you desire true freedom and spiritual peace – is to remove all your clothes and run naked through the Hampton Inn corporate offices, Shouting “I AM NOT A NUMBER, I AM A FREE MAN!”.

Try this, it may change your life.

Regards

ps If you know Cockney rhyming slang, you will know that Hampton Inn is quite apt in this situation.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Bryce, I'm so sorry about your misfortunes. This happened to my son, and the only thing he could figure out was an unhappy wait-person. Will the management pay more attention if the word "Attorney" is used?

Good luck!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Bryce,
Sorry this happened to you. The best advice I can give is to carry that stuff with you at all times. When I play hockey for example, I don't leave my wallet in a locker--it goes on the rink with me.

As for what's been done, I hope you've placed a fraud alert with the three credit agencies and gotten recent statements from them. Pro thieves won't use your card number, but will instead create new accounts, which you might not discover for six months (when the creditors come calling).