Two sets of actresses, who IMO resemble each other

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Two sets of actresses, who IMO resemble each other

Post by stuart.uk »

I was watching The Man In Grey today with Margaret Lockwood and Phyills Calvert. Watching them I was reminded of the more famous Vivien Leigh and June Allyson, particulary Vivien who looks IMO like strong Margaret's fragile sister. I have said before Vivien had she lived longer could gave been a tv superstar. I think that was partly because of Margaret's success in the 70s playing Barrister Harriet Peterson.

In The Man In Grey Phyills played such a sweet, innocent girl, I was reminded of June Allyson in Little Women
melwalton

Lockwood

Post by melwalton »

Stu

I saw 'the Man in Grey' with James Mason and Stewart Granger in Sheffield in 1943 .. Lockwood had a good part as the villain but Calvert walked away with the movie without doing anything, she was so beautiful I didn't care for the movie but couldn't take my eyes off Calvert. She was a strong candidate for most beautiful woman at that time, ... mel
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Mel

There was a touch of 'Colonel Blimp' about the movie, with Calvert and Granger playing modern day relatives in WW2, while the main story concentrated on the period drama of over a 100-yrs before.

It's funny how the men in the film Stewart Granger and James Mason became Hollywood stars, yet the girls barely if at all scratched the surface in America. In TMIG it's Lockwood and Clavert that have bigger parts than their male co-stars