Rampling and Knightly in The Duchess

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Rampling and Knightly in The Duchess

Post by stuart.uk »

I haven't seen the film, but am curious about the casting of mature beauty Charlotte Rampling (Georgy Girl) and the younger beautiful Keira Knightly, as mother and daughter, in The Duchess.

I don't know how much of a role Charlotte Rampling has, but it seems her character is keen for her daughter to marry the appropriate man.

Knightly plays the real life Ancestor of Lady Diana, Princess Of Wales and it seems that history repeated itself as her character Duchess Georgiana is forced into a marriage with Ralph Fiennes, only to fall in love later with another man.

I was also interested in the beehive wigs the actresses wore in the film, along with the stunning costumes. I assume it's realistic, but I don't recall to many classic actresses in beehive wigs when they played roles in the same period of history.
bryce

Post by bryce »

I'm interested in seeing this as well. Mostly because I enjoy seeing how Keira Knightly evolves as an actress as I quite enjoy her (fairly inexperienced) chops and think she has a lot of potential to be a true star, not just an A-List Celeb based on her looks. I also always enjoy a flick with Ralph Fiennes in it, and his role will certainly make for some of that tension he's so good at acting out.

Let us know what you think, won't you?
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

It seems a lot of period dramas are being made with actresses that I admired from afar in motherly roles to adult daughters. Barbara Flynn was another in Miss. Potter, as was Julie Christie in Finding Neverland. All three still beautiful!