*CANDIDS*

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hey, I love the dog theme this week, Mongo!

Can we look forward to more images of Rin Tin Tin, Buck from Call of the Wild, Toto, Asta, A Dog of Flanders, and the pride of Rudd Weatherwax, Lassie, as well?? How about The Dogs of War, Straw Dogs and Reservoir Dogs?? Boy, I could go on all day. Thanks for the photos and your tolerance for my silly comments. :wink:

Re: the treatment of the pooches in the hilarious Dogville comedies, (at least they are bizarrely amusing to me), our Friend of the SSO, Eve Golden wrote a great piece researching their background for Classic Images magazine. You can see the article here. Have these movies ever been issued on dvd?

Btw, the nifty background info on Chasen's is very interesting. Perhaps your readers might enjoy the 1997 documentary about the end of the legendary restaurant focusing not on the stars especially, but on the longtime staff in Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's. They were characters in back of the house too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Moira, are you by any chance suggesting that my thread is going to the dogs? Only kidding.
I saw the documentary about Chasen's Restaurant and it was very good.
It was sad to see it come to an end.

Steve McQueen helping out director Sam Peckinpah.

Marlon Brando chewing the fat with director Elia Kazan.

4 great MGM stars in costume from each of their sets: Clark Gable in "San Francisco", Robert Montgomery in
"Trouble for Two", Lionel Barrymore in "The Devil-Doll", & Paul Muni in "The Good Earth".

Paisans Federico Fellini, Marcello Mastroianni & Sophia Loren.

The gents of "The Quiet Man" include Francis Ford, John Wayne, Victor McLaglen, director John Ford and Barry Fitzgerald.

"Trog" (Joe Cornelius) having a Pepsi Cola with Joan Crawford & Chloe Franks.

The beautiful Capucine with William Holden on the set.

'The Great Lover' Rudolph Valentino greets 'The Great Pofile' John Barrymore.

Superior child star Shirley Temple getting a lift on the set.

Jean-Pierre Aumont & Maria Montez wed in 1943.

Aumont grief stricken at Maria's sudden death in 1951 at age 39.

Aumont with daughter Tina from Montez. Tina died at 60 in 2006.

Aumont's 3rd. wife Marisa Pavan (45 years). Aumont died in 2001 at age 90.

Did Jack Benny or Ava Gardner leave the tip?

Kirk Douglas looks on as Leo G. Carroll & Walter Pidgeon play checkers between scenes of "The Bad and the Beautiful".

Fred Astaire and Anthony Quinn with their lovely daughters.

Vera Miles getting touched up for a scene in "Psycho".

Richard Benjamin (looking like Eddie Albert) and his wife of 48 years Paula Prentiss.

Clark Gable chatting with Cyd Charisse on an MGM set.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

So many great pictures Mongo.

I never realised Groucho Marx looked so handsome without his moustache.

I love the picture of MGMs 4 leading men and the one of Clark and Cyd, both gorgeous. Like Maria Montez and Jean Pierre Aumont.

Thanks for sharing :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Thank you, CCfan. The image of the 4 MGM stars happens to be a favorite of mine.

Tab Hunter with his mom and Natalie Wood on the set of "The Burning Hills".

Director King Vidor, author Ayn Rand & Gary Cooper discussing "The Fountainhead".

Mickey Rooney and his look-a-like son Mickey Jr.

James Dean & Marilyn Monroe in tranquility (superimposed?)

Warren William and his wife of 25 years Helen Barbara Nelson serving pie.

Betty Garrett and husband Larry Parks mesmerized.

James Cagney & Ronald Reagan enjoying the antics of Edgar Bergen & Charlie McCarthy.

Tyrone Power snagged by columnist Louella Parsons on her radio show.

The cast of "George Washington Slept Here": William Tracy, Hattie McDaniel, Jack Benny, Terry the pooch, Ann Sheridan, Joyce Reynolds,
& Percy Kilbride.

Beautiful actress Barbara Pepper and as Doris Ziffel on TVs "Green Acres".

Forgotten movie actor Colin Clive remembered as Dr. Henry Frankenstein in the classic "Frankenstein" (1931) "It's alive. It's alive...it's alive."

Victor McLaglen visits with Katharine Hepburn & director John Ford on the set of "Mary of Scotland".

Charlie Chaplin and a radiant Paulette Goddard at a salute to Walt Disney in 1933.

Pier Angeli getting into Joan Crawford's hair (no wire bobbi pins please).

Laurence Olivier visits the set of "Father Little Dividend" with Spencer Tracy, Elizabeth Taylor,director Vincent Minnelli & Joan Bennett.

Songbird Jeanette MacDonald sporting a fur coat.

Louis B. Mayer (left) attending the wedding of June Allyson & Dick Powell in 1945.

Barbara Stanwyck, her golden boy William Holden & Louis Calhern
on the set of "Executive Suite".

Silent film star Ramon Novarro as Judah Ben-Hur (1925).

Voluptuous Mamie Van Doren busting out all over (She is now 77).

Tarzan & Jane (Johnny Weissmuller & Maureen O'Sullivan) air conditioned attire.
klondike

Post by klondike »

W o w - Bill Holden married Brenda Marshall, and worked with the delectable Capucine { sigh } . . . next you'll tell me he owned a 1958 Chevrolet Apache and met Eva Short Seeley!
:? :shock: :? :shock: :?
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, Capucine made two films with William Holden, "The Lion" (1962), and "The 7th. Dawn" (1964).
Joseph Goodheart
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love the Chaplin picture, he was quite handsome, as was Paulette Goddard.

The picture of James Dean and Marilyn must be superimposed. I'm not sure if they even knew each other. Perhaps via the Actors Studio? Maybe someone else knows more than me.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

mongoII wrote: Director King Vidor, author Ayn Rand & Gary Cooper discussing "The Fountainhead".
How happy I am that you shared this one with us, Mongo; I promptly copied it to my picture file, as The Fountainhead is my all-time movie fave, and Ayn Rand one of my most cherished authors.
mongoII wrote: The cast of "George Washington Slept Here": William Tracy, Hattie McDaniel, Jack Benny, Terry the pooch, Ann Sheridan, Joyce Reynolds,
& Percy Kilbride.
I've never heard of this movie! And with that cast, I've got to run it down; looks like a real treat, reminiscent of Holiday Inn.
mongoII wrote: Beautiful actress Barbara Pepper and as Doris Ziffel on TVs "Green Acres".
You know, I could never see it before . . but as a younger woman, I think you can definitely see a resemblence to her future son, Arnold! Just kiddin', but you know I always had doubt's about Arnold's paternity . . that Eustace Haney did get around a lot, ya know!
mongoII wrote: Pier Angeli getting into Joan Crawford's hair (no wire bobbi pins please).
Looks to me like Joanie had some hidden wire working for her that day . . down south of the coiffure.
mongoII wrote: Songbird Jeanette MacDonald sporting a fur coat.
Beautiful face, lovely voice, wonderful personality . . a shame she was so often typecast!
mongoII wrote: Voluptuous Mamie Van Doren busting out all over (She is now 77).
Ah, yes . . a giant talent in the motion picture industry, immortalized in such sweeping epics as That Girl From Boston (hyurk, hyurk, oink!).
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Is it just me, or does La Crawford seem to peering into that mirror thinking "It's good to be the Queen".

Klonnie, are you becoming a dirty old man, or were you already there? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote: Klonnie, are you becoming a dirty old man, or were you already there?
Who are you calling old ?!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Am I going to have to step in here? :D (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ever the peace maker, Chris. I thought I'd kicked Klonnie and Hollis into line, but as the saying goes... a woman's work is NEVER done..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Mongo,

Long time my friend! I see you're up to your typically excellent work! My great Uncle, Lou Dorn, was "Lassie's" owner's manager for the longest time. The owner of Lassie was named Rudd Weatherwax if I remember correctly. My great aunt Dorothy, Lou's wife used to tell us the story that when Lou was about to retire, Mr Weatherwax elected to represent himself from that point forward, claiming no other manager could have done what my Uncle Lou had. Her nickname for Lou was "Angel" which he reportedly received by being a behind the scenes financier of stage and screen productions. He began his own show biz career in Vaudeville with The Original Chicago Jazz Band, featuring "Peekaboo (sic)." My Aunt Dorothy was "Peekaboo" and played the saxophone with the all male band. I'm wondering if you might have anything about any of these people in your files. Lou was also a theatrical agent for several others who's names escape me. Thanks and keep up the great work!

As always,

Hollis
Last edited by Hollis on October 19th, 2008, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Klondike, "George Washington Slept Here" is an amusing comedy about the Fuller family, who purchase an old dilapidated farmhouse in Pennsylvania where George Washington, himself, supposedly had slept there during the American Revolution. Charles Coburn is also in it, and Percy Kilbride is a riot.
The movie is shown on TCM from time to time.

Thanks Hollis, it is good to see you here at SSO.
I'll see what I can do to research Lou Dorn and his wife Dorothy. I am aware of Rudd Weatherwax and his association with Lassie.

"Bebop a rebop rhubarb pie"

Super stars Anthony Quinn and John Wayne getting together

Gene Tierney and Clark Gable on the set of "Never Let Me Go".

Basil Rathbone, Edward G. Robinson & wife Gladys at a costume party.

The late Sandra Dee with her son Dodd Darin.

Director Stanley Kubrick & Tony Curtis on the set of "Spartacus".

Sassy Elsa Lanchester sporting her gams.

It's the one and only Cheeta at age 76! Due to get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Norma Shearer with husband MGM wonder boy Irving Thalberg.

James Cagney & Susan Hayward among an array of stars (look see).

Director Fred Zinnemann directing Audrey Hepburn in "The Nun's Story".

Lovely Rita Hayworth pitching Royal Crown Cola in the 1940s.

Gary Cooper with his best girl...mother Alice (yeah, sure)

Director Victor Fleming with Spencer Tracy on the set of "Captains Courageous".

Thelma Ritter and Fred Allen banter on a radio show.

Van Johnson (in awkward position) & June Allyson filming "The Bride Goes Wild".

Shirley MacLaine & Elvis Presley join Dean Martin for his birthday.

Martha Raye in the center of the Gabor sisters, Magda, Zsa Zsa, & Eva.

Adorable Tuesday Weld enjoying an ice cream sundae.
Joseph Goodheart
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Klondike -
GW Slept Here was just on, sorry you missed it. It is hilarious and tragic at the same time, since it seems to be the story of my life...need more gravel, about $200...need to spray; japanese beetles be here soon...

We live on a questionably historical site - the sign says Lincoln "may" have stopped here.

I'm still looking for a boot with a letter...or a piece of jewelry ...or a mason jar in the flower bed.

Hope you get to enjoy this one soon.
B