The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
bryce

Post by bryce »

Today my wife and I move out of a horrible situation. Monday we move into our dream rental in our dream neighborhood with a pretty cool couple as roommates. That's some pretty good copy if I do write so myself (and I do!).

The best news has been that this has cemented my belief that I have the most amazing woman in my life. She is strong where I am weak, great where I am faulted, brilliant where I am a maroon, and most importantly, positive where I am negative. I am truly lucky. Plus, she went as "Pris" from Blade Runner yesterday. How awesome is that?
klondike

Post by klondike »

bryce wrote:
The best news has been that this has cemented my belief that I have the most amazing woman in my life. She is strong where I am weak, great where I am faulted, brilliant where I am a maroon, and most importantly, positive where I am negative. I am truly lucky. Plus, she went as "Pris" from Blade Runner yesterday. How awesome is that?
Congrats, Friend Bryce, I firmly believe you now stand before the elusive Temple of a Fulfilling Life; it's my deeply-rooted, personal belief that among the greatest elements missing from, sadly, the majority of marriages (official or non) the world over are Appreciation, and Gratitude. Simple stuff, granted, but I mean the deep feelings thereof, the kind that live & breathe in the marrow of your bones.
In that sense, I, too, am a mightily blest Man; the radiant diva of my life dressed up for Halloween 5 years ago as a Bene Gesserit priestess, so yeah, I see what you mean . . awesome, for as close as it comes, is a pretty good description!
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D You are truly blessed the both of you! But in my situation, this saying holds true, "It's better to be single and lonely than married and miserable." :lol:

Thanks for your lovely sentiments moira, I've passed them on to my son. :wink:
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Brenda, your son sounds such a nice man, you should be very proud. I know I would be.

'Better be single and lonely.........' you never know what is around the corner :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Dear Mel and Sue Sue (and all of you that are part of the SSO community,)

Thanks for the good wishes you sent my way, but more importantly it's wonderful to see your names on the board! It seems that, like me, you don't get the chance to sit at the PC or Mac as often as you'd like! Keep on posting whenever you can because you both have so much to offer! For my money, this forum is the best thing I've ever come across on the Web and I fell very honored to have been invited to join in. It's funny how you can get to feel like you know someone even though you've never met. All of you here at SSO are far more than mere acquaintances to me. I honestly fell that you are truly my friends! And good friends aren't all that easy to find, at least not in my experience. I wish nothing bu the best for all of you!

Gratefully, and as always,

Hollis
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

We had 50 degree weather with stars, a sliver of a moon and a breeze on Halloween. One pumpkin smashed, but no windows soaped or eggs thrown at the front door on our block--not even a flaming egg carton filled with dog poo on the doorstep, thankfully.

My favorite moment of the night: a little one of about 3 years of age dressed as Iron Man came to the door. Behind his group was a pack of middle school age kids with those too realistic latex masks of Freddie Krueger, the devil, etc. When the older kids saw that the tot was literally shivering with fright and frozen to his spot on the steps as they approached, they lifted their masks, to reveal the sweet, round young faces beneath the mask. As I crouched down to explain to him that they were kids too & were only playing, the little guy gave a tentative giggle, (being brave, I think), and ran off into the dark to join his patient Dad who was watching his little man take his first tentative steps into the world. Dad, btw, was dressed as Scooby Doo.

This Sunday before the election is a crystalline Indian Summer day, and Tuesday looks clear and crisp as well. It's time to rake more leaves before the polls open.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

That made me laugh. I took my kids out but chickened out of dressing up myself.

Despite many false starts my three year old has cracked his toilet training :D . Now he's just obsessed with how much he leaves in the pan :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:That made me laugh. I took my kids out but chickened out of dressing up myself.

Despite many false starts my three year old has cracked his toilet training :D . Now he's just obsessed with how much he leaves in the pan :roll:
Well at least he's leaving it in the pan and not somewhere else. He'll get over the newness of it soon.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
melwalton

hello

Post by melwalton »

Hey, Hollis.
The reason I was off the Air ( off the web ? ). I was in the hospital and rehab places for about three months altogether wihout access to a computer then when I got back to the nursing home, I couldn't walk well.
Now I get to the computer whenever I'm up to it.
I think i know what you"ve been through< Hang in there< Buddy,

The giants are now 7_! but they have to play your pesky Eagles TWICE..I"m worries..... MEL
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Mel! Talk about GOOD NEWS....it sure is good to see you here again. Hope your stint in the hospital and rehab helped. Those durn nurses sure can be pushy, can't they? But if you're up and walking again, I guess we'll just have to let them push us around, right? See you soon!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
inglis

bird rescue

Post by inglis »

Hi To all !
My husband and I went out on Sunday to drop off some articles at the SallyAnne. My Husband looked up and saw a bird hanging by its beak .The bird had got caught in some metal flashing .It was awful to see and the bird was suffering terriably .We got a ladder and some plyers and managed to get him free .The Birds neck was just hanging and was stressed, it took a few minutes for the bird to get back to normal as it was in shock, but eventually the bird recovererd and flew underneath our van.It then decided to stay there for about 40 minutes. We did get it out only to have it fly underneath another car but at least we did our best in helping it . I felt we were meant to be there to help that bird . So that my little bit of good news. I hope this fits with what this topic is about . :) Cheers Carol
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Carol, most people would have shuddered and looked away. What you did was compassionate and way beyond "duty". As our Aussie friends say, "Good on you!"

Nancy
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Carol:

It doesn't surprise me a bit that you helped it. And, yes, it fits perfectly in here.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Carol, you are someone after my own heart. I can't see another living creature suffer.

This isn't really good news but there is a good side I suppose but I managed to tear the ligaments in my ankle and I'll have to rest with my leg up high. At least I'll have more time for movies.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Oh, Alison, how awful! Sure hope you have lots of good movies to watch, and easy access to the computer. (and the family takes good care of you)

best
Nancy