Filmed in Full Stereotype?

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
klondike

Filmed in Full Stereotype?

Post by klondike »

Is it just me in a funk of nonappreciation, or is The Awful Truth, truthfully, awful dang full of actors repeating characters from other movies? Didn't we see most of this Carey G. in Philadelphia Story? Wasn't this the same shy cowboy Ralph Bellamy as we watched shamble through Brother Orchid? The mom in The Women - wasn't that Esther Dale much the same as this Esther, still a nosey, skeptical mom? And Joyce Compton - didn't she Southern drawl along in a similar airhead role in Christmas in Connecticut?
And we won't even mention Asta as the mugging Mr. Smith!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jeez, if I'm right, small wonder Irene Dunne looked so darn lonely!
:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

But, Klondike, buddy! When did Hollywood not try to copy an original that had proved a box office and critical success?

When The Awful Truth (1937) was made, these characters were considerably fresher and some would say that they broke the mold with this one. They did these indelible prototypes before and better than The Philadelphia Story (1940), Brother Orchid (1940), The Women (1939) and Christmas in Connecticut (1945).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

You're right, Moira; my case only holds up if I put the cart back behind the horse! :oops: :oops: :oops:
A moment's calm reflection would've led me to realize that, of course, the comparatives dates of the other films exonerated The Awful Truth; I guess, subconciously, I got a little pixilated by the relative modernity of the script, and came away feeling that it was the later film. :x :x :x
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I too am sometimes chagrined to see the stereotyping that inevitably follows when Hollywood strikes gold. Saddest of all is when a Leo McCarey copies his earlier, more creative self on film.

Btw, I gotta ask. What and/or Who is that avatar doll guy you have attached to your digital presence this week?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

Who,

< < that guy ??

:shock: :twisted: :shock:

He's an advertisement example for an Original Customized Highlander Doll, which I found on a Scottish mail-order site; as a purchaser, you choose the hair & eye colors, the beard style, the historical period for garb, and of course, the exact Clan tartan, and in most cases, his name. The craftsman sets the height & posture, selects the weapons & accoutrements (all handmade by contract jewellers), and then puts him all together, replete with display stand, and bio scroll {rather like a hybrid cabbage patch/kachina}.
I'd quote the price tag for you, but I don't want to blow my socks across the room again! Trust me, that little ad capture is the closest I'll be getting to this beguiling homunculus!