'Round the World Weather Report

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Geez! We had 70 degrees in Baltimore yesterday and in the mid 60's today. This will change soon. Darn.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, we had 70+ weather until Weds....Big rainstorm, then the temps dropped like a rock. At least we aren't facing what the folks in South Dakota have had, or Carol in Winnipeg. Hope this doesn't mean another long snowy winter. Anyone out there read the Farmer's Almanac? If so, share the bad news....I think.....
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
inglis

Post by inglis »

moirafinnie wrote:Whoa, Carol, you sound pretty chipper for a lady under two feet of snow before November 10th!

We had a 59 degree day yesterday, and still have many trees flaming with yellow and gold leaves against that sparkling blue sky we get in the Northeast at this time of year. Tomorrow it is only going up to 39 and snow squalls are predicted. Wonder where I put my gloves and scraper?
I would love to have 59 here right now .We had a nice fall and lots of beautiful colors.I guess I am a chipper lady :lol: I am still here and I can still feel the crisp cold of winter on my cheeks .
inglis

snowy snowy days

Post by inglis »

[quote="knitwit45"]Chris, we had 70+ weather until Weds....Big rainstorm, then the temps dropped like a rock. At least we aren't facing what the folks in South Dakota have had, or Carol in Winnipeg. Hope this doesn't mean another long snowy winter. Anyone out there read the Hi Nancy!Yes we got the Dakota's storm blew right into Manitoba.Be happy that you are still getting warm weather :)
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Hey all,

It's still too damned hot here in Alabama, 75+ in November? Sacrilege, I say! 12 months of summer is just too much. And trust me, there is no such thing as a "Southern Gentleman" any longer. The closest thing you'll find to him is a redneck in his pick'emup waving you ahead of him into traffic. I find that the South has sunk so low it will never rise again!

As always,

Hollis (headed North in the very near future!)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ahhh, the joy of living on the West Coast (of Lake Michigan). It's crisp, in the mid-30s, sunny with not a cloud in the sky. I'll finish planting hyacinths and cleaning the pond today.

30-45 minutes away, on the southeast coast of the Lake (that's Northwestern Indiana & Southwestern Michigan for the geographically challenged) -- the Interstates are closed due to snow. 12 inches is predicted.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw on the news Denver will be 80 today. My wife's family should be very happy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Another glorious, nearly perfect day of sunny sunshine here in Oakland, with temperatures on track to reach about 70 degrees by this afternoon. The second half on November just isn't suppose to be this nice; by all rights it should be rainy and cold. But no one here is complaining. In the words of the immortal Lee Dorsey: "How long can this go on?"
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

On Sunday, I was in the yard "thinking" about raking, and cutting back the now dead glory of the summer flowers, when a swirling dark cloud roiled up from the North and within 5 minutes, I was literally working in a snow squall and couldn't see the mailbox by the road from the back yard.

Today and projected for the next week, the temperatures aren't expected to rise out of the 30s F (about 0 Celsius) and some snow is expected next week. It's not that I don't like snow, but it was literally in the 60s last week, so this is a bit of a shock.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

We had out first snow flurries this morning ("snow fluffies," as my daughter used to call them). Blustery and wintry now, but not bad if you are warmly dressed. I've got my trusty Russian-made coat, which makes me look like the Michelin Man, but keeps me toasty.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

We also saw snow flurries Monday morning - or those of us who rebuked denial and looked out the window did. My sister says it never snowed.

I wonder how Knitty is in Kansas? B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hi Birdy!
We're enjoying one more day of Indian summer. Today was sunny and 60's, tomorrow 40's and cloudy. As long as we aren't shoveling snow, I won't complain about cold weather. (It sometimes gets to below zero, but not too often)

Thanks for asking!

Nancy
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

NYC is no stranger to below zero, either, although that is generally the product of the windchill factor. But I can remember days in winter in the past when it got that cold on its own.

I often chide my friend in northeast England when she complains about her winter weather. I tell her, for example, "this morning the windchill factor was 2 below zero. Not your wimpy Celsius zero, mind you, which is a balmy 32 degrees to us, but our manly, frosty, American Farenheit zero, the likes of which you have seldom experienced."

It's all relative.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Nancy -
I can't believe it was that much difference between us this week! We barely had a little sun and about 42 degrees on Tuesday. Today, snow flurries again and expecting a low of 15 tonight.
Wah.

Birdy (who should have flown south)
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Miss B, what part of our lovely country do you hail as home? I'm in Kansas, on the far eastern edge (Kansas City MO is just 15 miles away, on the other side of the state line). Of course, my son, who lives in Liberty, MO (another 15 miles north) can have snow or rain, while the sun is shining brightly at Chez Moi.