Life Gets Googled

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
moira finnie
Administrator

Life Gets Googled

Post by moira finnie »

If, like me, you are always on the hunt for new photographic images of our cinematic faves, I thought that you might like to know that Life Magazine's remarkable photographic archive of the anonymous and the famous from the dawn of the camera to the late 20th century is now available via Google. You can link to it here.

Of course, there are some other wonderful sources already out there as well. One of the best is Doctor Macro, with many high quality reader contributed scans of actors from the classic era, which I'm always surprised to learn everyone doesn't seem to know about. It is found here.

Enjoy, and please remember not to hotlink to any photos used on our site and that all images are requested to be no larger than 500 x 500 pixels here. Hope that you'll add any other photographic sites worth perusing.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I'm betting Mongo is having a field day going through that archive!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Thanks for the links, there's some great photos in there.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Wow,

Thanks Moira!! I'm having a ball remembering some of these old photos!!
Two great sites - I'm putting them in favourites now...

Larry
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You're very welcome, Larry.

Those two sites have so much material to look at that it may take a very long time to grasp how much is there. I sometimes think that still pictures are often more effective and vivid than the moving variety--especially when you have skilled photographers such as those employed by Life and the studios in their halcyon days.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moviemagz

Post by moviemagz »

I discovered this myself a few days ago. It's not as full as you might then it would be (many stars only have a half-dozen or so photos). The real gem are the candid photos taken in the 1970's-1990's (I don't think any photos are post 2000) which reveal many a star is not quite as gorgeous as we might think. Those enlarged shots are amazing - you can even seen the creases in their pants!!

There are a ton of Lilllian Gish photos though - who oddly gets lumped together with actress Annabeth Gish. Miss Lillian looks considerably more frail in her senior years than I imagined from photographs of her published during the time and from her TV appearances.