Michael Powell Twofer

News and Upcoming Releases
ChiO

Michael Powell Twofer

Post by ChiO »

Am I correct in understanding that A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH and AGE OF CONSENT are being released together on January 6, 2009?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Link please?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Sorry, I haven't searched enough to warrant a link. The most recent Facets Weekly Newsletter, wherein it lists the movies that it will soon have available for sale or rental (or both), had A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH and AGE OF CONSENT as being available together on January 6, 2009, on Region 1 DVD. I checked Amazon and it had a "Michael Powell Twofer" available for pre-order with a release date of January 6, 2009 -- but it didn't indicate what the two films are. Neither site listed who is releasing the DVD.

I was hoping someone here at SSO is brighter and more nimble than I in such matters.

Not a big fan of AGE OF CONSENT, but A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH is my favorite Powell-Pressburger movie and high on my list of all-time favorites.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I did find it listed for pre-order at Classicflix, too:

http://www.classicflix.com/matter-life- ... -8002.html
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

A Matter of Life and Death has been released here awhile. I love it, one of my all time favorite wartime movies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I spoke with a friend who works at Facets about this matter. She confirmed that this Powell twofer is indeed forthcoming.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
vallo

Post by vallo »

Actually it's called "The Films of Michael Powell"
Here: http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/p ... c=director
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

charliechaplinfan wrote:A Matter of Life and Death has been released here awhile. I love it, one of my all time favorite wartime movies.
I just discovered this today and came to the Oasis to announce this exciting news! And now I see word got out a month ago!

A Matter of Life and Death has been my "holy grail" -- the disk I've most wanted -- for years. CCFan, where are you? I'm going to guess England, since Great Britain has had a version out for a few years. A Matter of Life and Death (also known as Stairway to Heaven was announced for U.S. release a few years ago, but it never came to fruition. A friend, who knew of my desperate search, got ahold of a copy for me. I was thrilled to receive it, until I discovered it was a pirate copy of the British release. I wonder if this January 6 release will have the same documentary about Powell's wonderful cinematographer Jack Cardiff?

Twelfth Night will be a happy one for me this year! Yippee!
markfp

Post by markfp »

I posted about this once before, but I don't think it was here, but if it was, please forgive me for repeating myself.

For fans of Michael Powell I call your attention to MPI Home Video's "Classic British Thrillers" which is a three film set that includes two early Michael Powell films, THE PHANTOM LIGHT (1935) and RED ENSIGN (1934), from Powell's "quota quickie days".

The third title is a non-Powell film called THE UPTURNED GLASS (1947) and stars James Mason which the case notes call "an absorbing revenge thriller".